Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #31
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by newscribe View Post
I just wrote my first SF novel and have it up on Kindle. Of course, I think it's good. I would be very intrested in your opinion on it and I believe the story line you would find interesting.

The name of the book is Olympus Prime - Return of the Titans. You can dowload the sample chapter here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB6IL8
Hey I'll have to give your book a shot! From the brief description over on Amazon.com I'd say it's some fun space opera (hopefully I'm not mislabeling it!) and I love me some space opera.

I'm in the middle of a fantasy series at the moment, but maybe once I'm through this one... I'll letcha know once I get to it though!
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #32
newscribe
Apprentice
newscribe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowplay View Post
Hey I'll have to give your book a shot! From the brief description over on Amazon.com I'd say it's some fun space opera (hopefully I'm not mislabeling it!) and I love me some space opera.

I'm in the middle of a fantasy series at the moment, but maybe once I'm through this one... I'll letcha know once I get to it though!
Thanks, I hope you like it. Yes, I think Space Opera is accurate, though to this day I am confused on the criteria for assigning some Genre'.
newscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #33
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Downbelow Station -- C.J. Cherryh -- Peaceful orbital station becomes refugee camp in the middle of an interstellar war. There are lots of other books set in the same fictional universe, of which my favourites are Merchanter's Luck and Forty Thousand in Gehenna. But it helps to read Downbelow Station first.
Merchanter's Luck is available from Fictionwise, but I don't see Downbelow Station there, or most of the other Company Wars books.

They do have her "Chanur" books, however. Start with The Pride of Chanur (Fictionwise has it, so you can convert from LIT.)

Cherryh has also written some pretty good fantasy, by the way. Try The Dreamstone and its sequel, The Tree of Swords and Jewels.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM   #34
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
I just wrote my first SF novel and have it up on Kindle. Of course, I think it's good. I would be very intrested in your opinion on it and I believe the story line you would find interesting.

The name of the book is Olympus Prime - Return of the Titans. You can dowload the sample chapter here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB6IL8
Newscribe, your book sounds interesting, but I don't have a Kindle so Amazon won't let me download it. (I have a Sony Reader.) Will it be available anywhere else in other formats?
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #35
newscribe
Apprentice

Julia103,

Hmmm, Ok. I'm trying to figure out where I can publish it for Sony. I'll get back to you!
Old 09-14-2008, 08:04 PM   #36
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
There's always plenty of SF available on Feedbooks.

Top #100: http://www.feedbooks.com/type/Scienc...top?order=week
Recent books: http://www.feedbooks.com/type/Scienc...n/books/recent

..and plenty of lists:
http://www.feedbooks.com/list/22
http://www.feedbooks.com/list/177
http://www.feedbooks.com/list/3
http://www.feedbooks.com/list/26
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 01:37 AM   #37
rwguessjr
rwguessjr began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks, I hope you like it. Yes, I think Space Opera is accurate, though to this day I am confused on the criteria for assigning some Genre'.

ok wtf!!!

i am really pissed!

you left me hanging on the cliff hanger

how could you di this to me???

i need to know what happens to zeus

does he get rescued by his granddaughter

i mean seriously wtf

lol

im j/k

excellent first book

yoou had me spending a hour on amazon trying to figure why i cant find the sequel lol

i am really looking forward to reading it on my kindle

please hurry

lol

thanks robert
rwguessjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #38
newscribe
Apprentice

Thanks for the review!!!

R. Guess,

Thanks for the great review you left me on my Kindle ebook. I really appreciate you leaving a review on Amazon. It's always gratifying to hear good things from an avid SF reader.

As a writer, no matter how much you like your work you still need som validation from someone impartial. Can't tell you how many agents said they weren't interest unless the lead character was a freakin vampire.

Thanks again and I'll let you know when the next book is out.

Anyone else interested can take a peak at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001FB6IL8

Best regards,

Jim
Old 09-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #39
newscribe
Apprentice

Next Book in Olympus Prime Series

Robert,

I'm working on it. Need a few months. I can't even give you the title or I would ruin the vexed state that you're in. It will be even better the first one. By the way, during the writing of the book I had a picture of Halle Berry in my mind while writing about Praxia....thought I would give you that visual.

Thanks again man. Hey, help me promote it an I will get you an advance free copy of book 2 before I put it on Kindle.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #40
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
So we definitely need electronic formats other than Kindle! Perhaps epub? I dunno, but I'm working through the last book in my current series and that means I gotta start thinking ahead towards the next book or I'll end up with a period devoid of reading.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:26 AM   #41
rwguessjr
rwguessjr began at the beginning.

good writers need to be supported ill pay for my copy just like every one else

rwguessjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #42
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would also like to recommend Eric Flint's 1632 from Baen. The book has led to an amazing collection of stories in his universe from other people. I don't know if the word bookipedia has been used, but if it hasn't 1632 is probably the first.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:46 PM   #43
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
I'll put in another vote for Peter Hamilton. He is great at creating a vivid, detailed world for his stories with a large cast of characters and multiple storylines. At this point I'd have to say that Hamilton is my current favorite SF author (having displaced Larry Niven).
Fallen Dragon, Pandora's Star, and Judas Unchained were almost impossible to put down. The Night's Dawn "Trilogy" was also a page turner which is saying something about a series that spans 3000 paperback pages. BUT . . I felt let down by the ending of the book. If you look at the reviews on Amazon, you'll see I'm not alone. That being said, the last Night's Dawn book still got a 4 star rating.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 AM   #44
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
That nobody mentioned Arthur C. Clarke yet...

Not sure if his Rama series is in ebook format, but I know his Time Odyssey is. It's a cooperation with Stephen Baxter.
The books are Time's Eye, Sunstorm and Firstborn

And Frank Herbert's Dune is always a good read.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote