Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Linda Fairstein: Lethal Legacy

I saw this on Sony, and it intrigued me:
Quote:
In Linda Fairstein’s outstanding new novel, the New York Public Library houses dazzling treasures—and deadly secrets. When Assistant District Attorney Alex Cooper is summoned to Tina Barr’s apartment on Manhattan’s Upper East Side, she finds a neighbor convinced that the young woman was assaulted. But the terrified victim, a conservator of rare books and maps, refuses to cooperate with investigators. Then another woman is found murdered in that same apartment with an extremely valuable book, believed to have been stolen. As Alex pursues the murderer, she is drawn into the strange and privileged world of the Hunt family, major benefactors of the New York Public Library and passionate rare book collectors. Eventually Alex connects their internal family rivalries to a priceless edition ofAlice in Wonderland, which also contains the world’s oldest map. Would one of the well-bred Hunts be willing to kill for the treasures? The search for the answer takes Alex and her team on a breathtaking chase from Manhattan’s grandest apartments to the secret tunnels and chambers of the New York Public Library, and finally to a nineteenth-century underground vault.
Anyway, I read one of her books years ago and liked it, but I'm a little hesitant because of the price ($11.99). Has anyone read it? If you have, what did you think?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I've never heard of it, but it does sound interesting. Books, maps, and a mystery...sounds like something I'd read. I've added it to my wishlist.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
I've never heard of it, but it does sound interesting. Books, maps, and a mystery...sounds like something I'd read. I've added it to my wishlist.

Dreamer
That's what snagged me. I love antiquarian books
Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've started her first book (Final Jeopardy) in the Alex Cooper series and after reading the first chapter, it's good enough to go on.

Lethal Legacy is the 11th book in the series.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-13-2009 at 07:57 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Ah screw it, I'm buying it. *sigh* When will I learn to stop scanning the ebookstore everyday?
Old 02-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Haven't read that one, or book 10 yet, but the rest of the series is good IMO. Being that it's a series though you'll want to take that somewhat into account.

Personally I'm a series junkie, but I must read them in order.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Haven't read that one, or book 10 yet, but the rest of the series is good IMO. Being that it's a series though you'll want to take that somewhat into account.

Personally I'm a series junkie, but I must read them in order.
Me too.