Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #16
thebabycub
thebabycub began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I would love to see full audiobook support. I have some audible titles as well as CD.

I am currently using the MP3 tag reader plugin with each book represented by an M3U playlist containing all the chapters with a full path to each MP3 or AAX file.

This is ok but finding the metadata can be a problem.

The present Amazon plugin does find the some audiobook records sometimes (some audio cd and occasionally audible). It seems to be a little hit and miss as to whether the audible or audio cd is found in the amazon metadata search.

The audio cd, audible and kindle versions exist on different URL's because of the different id's. Presenting all these options in the metadata search (marked appropriately) would be ideal.

nb: On 2nd thoughts this may be better in the plugin ideas thread. Maybe it is just a matter of the amazon metadata plugin.

Last edited by thebabycub; 07-12-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Possibly better in plugin ideas thread. amazon id not asin, realised audible and kindle on amazon too.
thebabycub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Audiobook or Audible sub-forum?

My current thinking is that an "Everything Audiobook" sub-forum of the Reading Recommendations forum would be the place to start. It would be for discussions of audiobooks, software, hardware, audiobook recommendations, and virtually everything connected with audiobooks. If it grows and becomes popular, later we could discuss giving Audiobooks its own forum, or making it perhaps a major sub-forum of E-Book General. Does that sound good to you?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:06 PM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My current thinking is that an "Everything Audiobook" sub-forum of the Reading Recommendations forum would be the place to start. It would be for discussions of audiobooks, software, hardware, audiobook recommendations, and virtually everything connected with audiobooks. If it grows and becomes popular, later we could discuss giving Audiobooks its own forum, or making it perhaps a major sub-forum of E-Book General. Does that sound good to you?
Thank you for pursuing this.

I love the idea of "Everything Audiobook" but I'm confused about the sub-forum part. What is the difference between having the sub-forum under Reading Recommendations vs E-Book General from the start?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My thinking is that, like the book clubs that are already a sub-forum of Reading Recs, there isn't enough activity in the audiobooks threads to justify having a major section in E-Book General at this time, but if enough people think this is the way to go, I'll push for it. Being under E-Book General would make it more visible. There's been a bit of discussion behind the scenes about making Book Clubs a sub-forum of E-Book General as well. One thing we need to worry about is having so many major sub-forums that threads begin to get lost in the clutter.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
My thinking is that, like the book clubs that are already a sub-forum of Reading Recs, there isn't enough activity in the audiobooks threads to justify having a major section in E-Book General at this time, but if enough people think this is the way to go, I'll push for it. Being under E-Book General would make it more visible. There's been a bit of discussion behind the scenes about making Book Clubs a sub-forum of E-Book General as well. One thing we need to worry about is having so many major sub-forums that threads begin to get lost in the clutter.
I'd like to see an audiobook subforum and I agree that it shouldn't be a major section. As to where, I suppose it would boil down to whether the posts are more about books or about devices, etc. Question: Would you see audio deals (books and devices) as being part of this forum, also? Or would they remain in the Deals forum?

As for the Book Clubs, you didn't ask, but I personally think they're a better fit as a subforum in the Reading Rec forum since they're about books, than they would be as a subforum in General.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Audiobook or Audible sub-forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'd like to see an audiobook subforum and I agree that it shouldn't be a major section. As to where, I suppose it would boil down to whether the posts are more about books or about devices, etc. Question: Would you see audio deals (books and devices) as being part of this forum, also? Or would they remain in the Deals forum?

As for the Book Clubs, you didn't ask, but I personally think they're a better fit as a subforum in the Reading Rec forum since they're about books, than they would be as a subforum in General.

My thinking in that deals would remain in the deals forum. I see no reason to change that. Of course, I'm only an editor. An admin would be the one to make any of the changes we're discussing. Their green is more powerful than my green.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
If I was new to this forum I would never think to look under Reading Recommendations for an Audiobook subforum. I'd like to see a new general forum for all things audiobooks. Leaving any audiobook threads (the deals thread(s) or the 'What are you listening to?' thread) in another subforum would defeat the purpose of an audiobook subforum and I'd rather not see one at all.

In the absence of a forum, could there be an Audiobook tag that we (or mods) could put in front of the thread title?

Last edited by Synamon; 07-14-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I've noticed a considerable increase in interest in audiobooks, and recently when I started this thread I, like you, was unsure of where to place it. Perhaps the time has come to consider your suggestion. I'll bring it up with the team.
I didn't know that thread existed, because I rarely visit Read Recs. A discussion on audiobook devices seems out of place over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
If I was new to this forum I would never think to look under Reading Recommendations for an Audiobook subforum.
Same here.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'd like to see Audiobooks as a forum under E-Book General. I don't see how it really fits under anything else.

If I ruled the world, or at least MR, I'd move the deals thread into the new forum--leaving a sticky cross-reference in the Deals forum. Would also move the "what are you listening to" sticky now in Reading Recommendations to the new forum.

Last edited by Catlady; 08-25-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #25
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I say place the forum (that's my way of asking for it) wherever, and then based on usage patterns adjust it into the correct forums.

But lets get it started, first. Please. :-)
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Old 08-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #27
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Great!
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:27 AM   #28
CallmeBec
CallmeBec began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app, audible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
If I was new to this forum I would never think to look under Reading Recommendations for an Audiobook subforum. I'd like to see a new general forum for all things audiobooks. Leaving any audiobook threads (the deals thread(s) or the 'What are you listening to?' thread) in another subforum would defeat the purpose of an audiobook subforum and I'd rather not see one at all.

In the absence of a forum, could there be an Audiobook tag that we (or mods) could put in front of the thread title?
Well thank you for that, I am new to the forum, joined yesterday in fact.
I use audible and my library for audio books, reading for too long is a little difficult for me.
I've been mooching around the site looking for an audio book forum, It hadn't occurred to me to look under Reading Recommendations.
I shall go straight there right now
CallmeBec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 AM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeBec View Post
Well thank you for that, I am new to the forum, joined yesterday in fact.
I use audible and my library for audio books, reading for too long is a little difficult for me.
I've been mooching around the site looking for an audio book forum, It hadn't occurred to me to look under Reading Recommendations.
I shall go straight there right now
Welcome to the board. You came just in time. There's a strong possibility that we may be getting a dedicated audiobook forum very soon. Stay tuned. Besides the one thread you already posted in, there are two others you should check out.

In Reading Recommendations, look for What are we listening to? (audiobooks). It's located near the top of that forum. This thread is a discussion about what other members are listening to.

And in Deals, Freebies and Resources, look for Current Audiobook Specials. It's also located near the top of that forum. Don't let the length of the Specials thread alarm. The trick to navigating that thread is to read the last couple of pages and the very first post. I keep the first post updated quite frequently (check the date at the top to see when it was last updated) with a listing of all current offers. That post is filled with links taking you elsewhere for deals and general information. You'll also find links to over a hundred free audiobooks there.

Feel free to ask questions
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote