Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
E-reader as 2nd monitor

Hi all, i'm new here ...

I've been looking on the web a bit, looking for options to use an e-reader as a 2nd monitor for PC.

/ OR one where you can plug in a keyboard ...

What I would like is to use the e-reader to type documents, in MS Word for example, would this work?

I saw that it's possible to do this with the Kindle DX, and another Kindle 6" model ...

I wanted to know if there are any other models where this works ?

I found an app (idisplay, maybe there are others) that turns android tablets/phones into monitors, does this also work with android e-readers?

thanks, any ideas apreciated ...

Last edited by bobodude; 10-21-2014 at 04:54 AM.
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobodude View Post
OR one where you can plug in a keyboard ...
If the e-reader has bluetooth, then any bluetooth enabled keyboard should work. The caveat here is that cheap keyboards will fail.

Quote:
What I would like is to use the e-reader to type documents, in MS Word for example, would this work?
Use a text editor, not an office suite.
If you must include presentation markup in the file, then use TeX as your presentation markup language.

If you can't use TeX, but must include presentation markup, then abandon all idea of using an e-reader. Also abandon any hope of using a tablet. The currently available office suites for iOS and Android simply don't provide the presentation markup support that professional document creation requires.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I can plug a keyboard or Mouse into my TAB2 using a Samsung USB adapter ( if you use a powered USB HUB with that, you can use both)

I also run Remote desktop connection app to control a Windows PC (dang tiny screen , but it works)

VNC works with Linux desktops
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
There was a very recent thread on this. Try using the Search function.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote