Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaston View Post
Rupert Giles summed it up fairly well for me. Bear in mind when you read this quote, I work in IT!!
Mmmm, rancid glue and dustmites. Not actually my favourite things.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
My wife whole heartedly embraced my buying ebooks. She did not like living in a library. I turned one large walk-in closet into a library. I have bookshelves in my office. Our bedroom has bookshelves and one of the closets in the guest room has book shelves. And just like Harry, they were all double stacked.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #18
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I'm still buying paper books occasionally. In fact I just read one. They aren't really that bad...sure they take up space, but they can always be traded in for other books. I still feel better about buying paper books than electrons I don't own. Although, the ebooks are nice too.(especially when they go on sale for cheap or can buy with coupons.) Very recently had a revelation that I can go with either one.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #19
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I just noticed that (I was organizing my library for some new work related books) within the last three years, I only bought three printed novels. When the book I wanted to read isn't available as an ebook, I go to the libraries now, not bookstores. Before getting into ebooks, I almost never went to a library, I wanted to expand my own library.

Is it the same for you too? To tell the truth, this made me a little sad so I made a new resolution: I will buy one printed novel every month.
It is the same for me, but my resolution is to avoid buying a printed novel ever again!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:32 PM   #20
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
I also turned to e-books as a solution to the bookshelf-creep that was taking over my house/life. I gave away lots of books, took some to the used bookstore, and selected and documented my favorites to shelve or store. However, I am extremely farsighted and had to add progressive lenses before I turned 40. These days, when I open up a most paperback books I can feel the eyestrain almost immediately. It's orders of magnitude more comfortable to be able to adjust the font size on my e-reader.

At this point, I think I need to do another, more aggressive cull and just keep the ones I can't get as e-books, or that my kids might enjoy (they have perfect vision and enjoy both formats). I've actually purchased a lot of e-books of books that I already have on the shelf, in anticipation of this step.

That said, I still buy lots of hardback and paperback books for my kids - especially large-format picture books for my youngest. I don't think I could ever feel like a digital version was an adequate replacement. I love poring over the same pictures with them and sharing the same reading experiences that I loved 30-40 years ago. I do increasingly resist buying printed books for my oldest, not least because she devours them in no time and they pile up even faster.
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was the fact that I was running out of room for books in my house that made me turn to ebooks in the first place: I had double-stacked bookshelves on almost every wall. I feel absolutely no regret about their demise.

These days, I only buy reference books as paper books; all my fiction is ebooks.
This.

(Except for some small number of books that I want but are not available as ebooks.)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #22
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I quit buying printed books years ago. I'm strictly digital these days.
Same here. Ebooks only these days :-)
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM   #23
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
For the most part I've gone strictly ebook as well.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #24
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I moved overseas a year ago so I had to cull my print collection. Even with about 50% sold/donated (mostly fiction, which is easier to replace) I still have several boxes stored at my parents' place. I still read print, but borrowed from the library when ebook versions are not available.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #25
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've always been a big library user, so that didn't change. I was only a moderate book buyer (still, they've added up over the years!) and my conventional book purchases have dropped off ... but not down to zero.

Mostly, the availability of inexpensive, near-zero space ebooks (you have to include the ereader) means that I'm doing more reading these days. My crossword and sudoku puzzles have really suffered.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I haven't bought fiction in paper since about 2008, but still buy the occasional reference book.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM   #27
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I haven't bought fiction in paper since about 2008, but still buy the occasional reference book.
Exactly the same here. Once I got my first Kindle, I never went back to paper.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #28
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I stopped buying books probably back around 2000 simply because I had no more room. I pretty much stopped reading pbks around 2003 because it just became to difficult to see the small print, so I switched to reading fan fiction on my pc. I haven't read or purchased a paperback book since I got my first ereader back in 2010.

When I moved in 2008 I dumped most of my pbks and just kept a small collection of rereads that I love. I probably have less then 100 now that all fit in my bookcase, but I haven't read them in years simply because they are paper.

I don't intend to ever buy another pbk, and I certainly won't do it just for the sake of buying one especially if I'm never going to read it.

For me what is important is that I have a comfortable reading experience, not getting fixated on an old mode of reading that no longer appeals to me in any way whatsoever.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #29
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
I was on my way to going all digital (except for a few series), when I discovered the Barnes&Noble hardcover classics.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:11 AM   #30
Salo Maa Neco
Salo Maa Neco began at the beginning.

Device: none
on the plane

I gave up on printed books because of the price and the false-hype. "Millions sold" always lacked credibility. I know $25 for a book is still better value than a movie ticket, but 2.99 is even better for an eBook and there's something good about knowing that most of the book's price now goes to the author and not to the publishers.

I find Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature to be invaluable for finding a good read. Better than standing in the book shop reading the first chapters, which always feels like I'm being cheap.

The one-click-and-it's-there feature is brilliant. Last summer I was sitting at a waterfront cafe reading the last few chapters of a book. An email arrived from a friend asking if I'd read a particular book... no, I hadn't but within minutes it was in my machine ready for when I finished the book I was reading.

I travel fairly often and so an eBook reader is perfect because of the weight issue. But I have to have one paper book for those nasty 30-45 minutes during which passengers must shut off all their electronic devices.

So, almost no more paper books for me.
Salo Maa Neco is offline   Reply With Quote