Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Debra, I actually found this post quite helpful when I re-rooted because it actually used screenshots to lead you through the rooting process visually.

Rooting Post
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by debra jo View Post
I launched WinImage, selected the Disk pulldown menu, and selected 'Resore Virtual Hard Disk Image on physical drive'. The SD card is in fact listed.
now what to i do?
The screenshot post that PegS linked to should help get you finished -- do take a look. You are almost there.

A couple comments: make sure you've already unzipped the autonooter img file and note that the screenshots in the linked post show rooting with a different nooter img file. You'll instead browse to auto-nooter-2.12.25.img (do notice that the screenshots show you to change the drop down to 'all files' when browsing for the file).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
debra jo
debra jo began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
ok, i finally got the autonooter file on the microsd card. the microsd card is now in the nook and the nook is connected to the computer. i assume that i can take out the microsd card now, correct?

i am sort of afraid to do anything else right now since i've spent three hours getting the darn autonooter to finally copy to the card! but i do have the android market and apps on the nc....

time for more research. (I realize those of you who are technically literate are rolling your eyes at me.....)

thank you,

deb
debra jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...(I realize those of you who are technically literate are rolling your eyes at me.....)
At least you're asking questions!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
debra jo

ok, now how do i finish the root process now that i've gotten this far?

thank you again...
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
ok, now how do i finish the root process now that i've gotten this far?

thank you again...
Is this where you're at:

After you have burned the uSD card

Boot the NOOKcolor with the microSD card.

* Shut the device down completely. Make sure the USB cable is unplugged hold the power button down until prompted and choose power off.
* Insert the microSD card into the NOOKcolor.
* Plug the USB cable from your NOOKcolor into your computer.
* The NOOKcolor will boot the microSD although the screen will remain off.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM   #22
debra jo

i am trying to sync gmail. message says the account is not configured to sync automatically. i am to press home and touch settings.accounts&sync to configure the account. where is "home"?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #23
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
ok, i finally got the autonooter file on the microsd card. the microsd card is now in the nook and the nook is connected to the computer. i assume that i can take out the microsd card now, correct?
That depends. Did you turn off the NC before putting the micro SD card in it? In order to root, the NC needs to boot up with the imaged SD card in it. If you didn't turn it off, unplug your NC from the PC and turn it off and do this:
What to do after your SD card is imaged

If you did turn the NC off before inserting the SD card and plugging it into the PC and you saw the new boot animation, you are rooted! Remove the SD card and continue here
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:56 PM   #24
debra jo

yes turned it off before putting sd card in. the android symbol was there when it turned on and went through these steps:

Unlock the NC.
At the Android Welcome Screen tap the robot.
Skip "Learn how to use your LogicPD Zoom2"
Skip "Set up your Google Account"
Select both boxes for "Use Google Location" and click Next (Send anonymous data to Google check box may be optional)

at this point things didn't look as they should so i went back but somehow can't get on track again.

it seems i need to start from the android welcome screen again if possible...
Old 01-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #25
bigbrothad
bigbrothad began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Please bare with me...I am not a computer techie and do not totally understand how to "root".

Can a novice root a NC?

Really would like to do this but feel its too complex for little old me.

Any advice??

Thank You!
My advice is to not root your new Nook Color and enjoy it for what it's designed for, an ereader with web access. Wait for BN to release their app store which will hopefully be in a month or so.

You'll save yourself much aggravation and grief tinkering with the process or rooting and dealing with something that's not ready for the mainstream.
bigbrothad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrothad View Post
My advice is to not root your new Nook Color and enjoy it for what it's designed for, an ereader with web access. Wait for BN to release their app store which will hopefully be in a month or so.

You'll save yourself much aggravation and grief tinkering with the process or rooting and dealing with something that's not ready for the mainstream.
Why were you interested in rooting yours?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28&postcount=8
Old 01-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #27
debra jo

is there a way to get back to the android welcome screen?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
is there a way to get back to the android welcome screen?
I don't know. If you think something isn't right, try booting off the card again. Starting the process over.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #29
debra jo

ok, trying that. thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #30
debra jo

tried that. didn't work. hmmmm