Old 05-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Newby
Enthusiast
Newby began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 Gold
Newbie problems

Hello to all!

Quite nice, that there is such a nice place for ebook-lovers

So, as my nickname says, I am quite new to this stuff, and I hope you could help me to solve some theoretical and practical problems I have.

So my questions are:

1. Firstly, just to say what I am using:

Cybook Gen3 Gold Edition

Version ARM920T (400MHz)

Boo Reader 2.0 (build 1122)

Adobe Reader 9.1 (build 28890)

2. As I could understand, there are two different firmwares used: one from Bookeen, and one from Mobipocket. And one can use only one of both (or the newest version is combination of both?) Am I right?

3. In my manual, I could read that I can use dictionaries for TXT and HTML documents. I tried ( I put Wordnet-dict.prc in the eBooks folder, beside the administrator folder), but still, when I open the txt document, there is no option for a dictionary (nor other options for bookmarks etc.).

4. An HTML document I actually never could open. When I choose it, usualy I get back to some previous folder, or the reader freezes...

I hope you can help, and would be very thankful

Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
There are indead two version.

Version 1.5 will read mobi, aka prc, and have dictionary support. (with mobipocket software)
Version 2.0 will read ePub. (With Adobe digital edition)

Getting them from bookeen's website is currently impossible. But the files for firmware where posted there.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=81511&page=2
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
Newby
Enthusiast

so the one in my Cybook is actually 2.0?

And does it mean that I cannot use the Mobipocket dictionaries?
Old 05-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, and yes.
firmware version is "boo reader".

You need in install 1.5 if you want to read mobi. (You can switch anytime you want).
Old 05-14-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Newby
Enthusiast

ok, thanks
...but the links for download seems not to work
Old 05-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard

Ah, you're right, they don't work anymore.
Guess you're gonna have to wait until bookeen fixes the website, unless Jellby or someone else can post them (I don't have 1.5, never used it).
Old 05-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Newby
Enthusiast

but is it not possible to use some other dictionary in 2.0?
Old 05-15-2010, 03:26 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Nope.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Don't know if it would be breaking rules, I have both original Zip files with the 1.5 and 2.0 FW and can put them on an FTP server for folks until Bookeen sort their site out. If this is too naughty, Newby can pm me.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
EowynCarter
Wizard

Still no fix on bookeen's website.
I guess the update will NOT be a monday after all. "pretty soon", according the bookeen's facebook page.

As these files are usually availible on bookeen's website, it's probably ok to put them here.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
OK

The files can be found here: http://www.zen55663.zen.co.uk/CyBook/
(note that the path is case sensitive) and wil remain there for a few days.

I have included the original readme file with the instructions for use . Of course if you chose to use these files it is entirely at your own risk (I have used both of the images on my own reader, so they are OK as on my laptop). As a bit of insurance I generated the MD5 checksums of each zip before I uploaded them, you can use these to verify the file you download. A simple checksum tool is available from Microsoft - just google FCIV and Microsoft.

Enjoy
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Newby
Enthusiast

Thank you all guys!

Now my expirience

I downgraded to 1.5 in order to be able to use look up dictionaries. Unfortunately, two dictionaries which i tested, WORDNET and GCIDE, didn't really impressed me, mostly I couldn't find words I need. Maybe there are some commercial dictionaries which would fulfill the purpose?

And on the other side, I really missed the crop margins function for PDF-s

So I decided to upgrade again to 2.0, and both downgrade and upgrade worked quite fine for me, altough I don't have any card reader at all

Thank you all, once more

Last edited by Newby; 05-22-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
OK

The files can be found here: http://www.zen55663.zen.co.uk/CyBook/
(note that the path is case sensitive) and wil remain there for a few days.

I have included the original readme file with the instructions for use . Of course if you chose to use these files it is entirely at your own risk (I have used both of the images on my own reader, so they are OK as on my laptop). As a bit of insurance I generated the MD5 checksums of each zip before I uploaded them, you can use these to verify the file you download. A simple checksum tool is available from Microsoft - just google FCIV and Microsoft.

Enjoy
Warning; these version have been reported to have issues with latests Opus. Be carreful with these version. It's seems to be the reason why Bookeen remove them temporarily.
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, start