Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #121
chokra
chokra began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge 7
ivanjt thanks, i had to re download the update file, for some reason it did not download the complete file. now i have the update done.
chokra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM   #122
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Whew and congratulations, chokra!

Now you can decide whether or not to root. I vote no, for now.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM   #123
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Golden update

I assume some of the issues will be the same, so posting questions here.

I have the file on a USB drive, it's a zip file (not saved as zip.zip). Followed the directions, but it just turned on normally, no update. I'm leaving work now, will try again when I get home but in the meantime -

1. How do I know whether the USB drive is formatted as FAT? I can't reformat this one, I have too much on it, so if that's the problem I have to get another USB drive (or find one of the others that is sitting around someplace).

It's only a 2 GB device, so that's not the problem. The file isn't in a folder. The Edge can detect the file - that is, when I go to Device Storage from the Applications menu, I see the update file listed along with others that are stored on the USB drive.

So I guess if the stick is formatted as FAT, I just try again. But I think verifying the format type is first. Thanks all, you are awesome.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:06 AM   #124
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
I assume some of the issues will be the same, so posting questions here.

I have the file on a USB drive, it's a zip file (not saved as zip.zip). Followed the directions, but it just turned on normally, no update. I'm leaving work now, will try again when I get home but in the meantime -

1. How do I know whether the USB drive is formatted as FAT? I can't reformat this one, I have too much on it, so if that's the problem I have to get another USB drive (or find one of the others that is sitting around someplace).

It's only a 2 GB device, so that's not the problem. The file isn't in a folder. The Edge can detect the file - that is, when I go to Device Storage from the Applications menu, I see the update file listed along with others that are stored on the USB drive.

So I guess if the stick is formatted as FAT, I just try again. But I think verifying the format type is first. Thanks all, you are awesome.
To find out about the USB stick, assuming you have windows on your computer.
Plug it into the computer and wait for it to connect.
Open 'windows explorer' and highlight the drive.
Right click (or left click if you have changed to a left handed mouse) on the highlight and scroll down to 'properties', that will a dialogue box that will give all the information you need.

You may have problems if the zip is on a USB stick with other files because it might be fragmented. It is best on a stick by itself - you could copy everything off the stick to a temp directory on your computer then format it and copy back the update.zip. Then when you are updated delete the zip from the stick and copy back all the other files.

All of what I describe about windows is taken from a copy of XP that I have running in a VM on my computer so things might be slightly different if you are using win7.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #125
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I updated to ermine last week and I got a big system update screen a few minutes ago asking me to download the latest update now or later. Is there really a system update for ermine or is there something funky going on?
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 AM   #126
chokra

Melitabel,

1. use the following site (http://dustyfeet.com/edge/) to download the update file. for some reason the other sites either have an incomplete file, or my downloads just didnt complete as they were suppose to.
2. use a usb stick format it with fat. go to my computer, select the drive that is for the usb, right click on it, and select 'format', under the options it will default to 'fat32', manually select 'fat'. place the update file in there. whatever you do the file should read update.zip. if you are not sure, under the usb explorer screen, go to 'tools', 'folder options', 'view' and locate 'hide extensions for known file types' and make sure its UNCHECKED. and then make sure the update file reads, update.zip.
3.turn off PE. connect the usb stick, and press hold menu and rotate keys, and then switch the power on button. continue holding the menu and rotate for approx 15-20 secs and you should see an update processing...then you are done. hope this helps. thanks to all who have helped me.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #127
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Thank you, Ivanjt and Chokra. I went and got a new usb stick and reformatted it, and the edge updated in 5 minutes, but then I hadn't upgraded to Ermine yet. The issue was that it came new with no journal installed - indeed, very few of the apps that come installed on most EEs (you can see my original thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142851).

And it's got the Journal now! And everything looks a lot like it does on my PE! Doing the happy dance. Hugs and kisses to all, M.
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #128
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I updated to ermine last week and I got a big system update screen a few minutes ago asking me to download the latest update now or later. Is there really a system update for ermine or is there something funky going on?
Welcome, garyhgaryh!

It's probably something funky. Did you root your PE? If so, and if you have the auto-update turned on, you are probably getting a bogus message. I don't remember what happens if you run the update, the answer is here someplace, but you might want to turn off the auto-update function.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #129
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Welcome, garyhgaryh!

It's probably something funky. Did you root your PE? If so, and if you have the auto-update turned on, you are probably getting a bogus message. I don't remember what happens if you run the update, the answer is here someplace, but you might want to turn off the auto-update function.
Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome.

Yes, I did root it with Z4mod.

How do I turn off the auto-update?

When I first got my PE, I updated to the latest dingo, but the next day it also asked me to update (again). I noted the version # and I did the upgrade again for kicks to see what would happen and I noticed the version did not increment.

I will take your advice and turn off auto-update and not update.

Thanks,
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #130
pollosmoky
pollosmoky began at the beginning.

Device: rfanslow@gmail.com
Woohoo! I just wanted to say thanks to everybody on this thread. Due to both your problems [I had similar ones] and your advice, I managed the update.
pollosmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #131
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollosmoky View Post
Woohoo! I just wanted to say thanks to everybody on this thread. Due to both your problems [I had similar ones] and your advice, I managed the update.
Welcome to Mobileread; and edge!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #132
chokra

This might be something as a side note, but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible. I have asked my sis who I bought one for also, she has not had any issues...just wondering if anyone else here has had any issues. thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #133
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokra View Post
This might be something as a side note, but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible. I have asked my sis who I bought one for also, she has not had any issues...just wondering if anyone else here has had any issues. thanks.
depending on how high resolution screens you're used to and how much your eyes can adjust you might, the LCD on the PE is a very low resolution for its size, lower than even the smaller reader screen...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #134
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
I'm not convinced the resolution is the issue so much as the refresh rate. I do see a bit of flicker coming from it from time to time which leads me to think its refresh rate might be very low.
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #135
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by chokra View Post
...but has anyone experienced problems with the resolution on the PE? I have been using it few hours a day and its giving me a headache and strain on my eyes is horrible...
No issues.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote