Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 AM   #1
DianaQ
DianaQ began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
E-Reader for non-electronically savvy reader

Hello,

I would like to buy an ereader for my Mom. She has expressed interest in reading electronically, but doesn't know where to start.

There's a few things to consider in picking one for her and I'd like your input on the matter:

1. She's not very electronically savvy. She can use a computer, but she will definitely need an ereader that is pretty straight forward.

2. It has to be easy on the eyes. She wears glasses and spends a fair amount of time in front of a computer at work, so the display can't be too glaring.

3. She's American, but lives and works in Mexico and can only travel to the States 2-3 times a year. So it should be able to function outside of the US.

4. I can de-drm any books she buys, but it would be good if she'd be able to just dload books onto her ereader easily, w/o having to wait on me to do the drm stripping. We live in very different time zones and it could be a long wait depending on our work-loads.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I think that's about it on the main issues.

Have a good day everybody!
DianaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
There should be lots of suggestions.

I don't know about how the kindle functions in Mexico. But it is pretty transparent if it does. She can pick out books on the kindle or the computer and they can be delivered wirelessly to the device using a PHONE network - 3g. Or it can connect to a wifi network including one at home or Starbucks or wherever free wifi is available.

She would need an account/credit card or she could use one you provide. I guess you an use gift cards in some fashion.

It is easy on the eyes and the font sizes and line spacing can be adjusted.

Again there will be other suggestions and some folks think the kindle/Amazon are too proprietary and lock you in to kindle books - not fully true but amazon would be a primary source of books.

Welcome
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I would say a Kindle since it is international. I am not sure if the 3G works in Mexico (you can check that out at Amazon), so you might just want to get her the wifi version.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I think you'll want to get one that has some form of wireless connection at least wi fi. This makes purchasing books very very easy. no hooking up your device to the computer.

I would say for a basic straightforward no frills wireless ebook reader, the kobo wi fi may be your best bet.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, DianaQ.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My Aluratek Libra Pro will work in Mexico if you have the proper outlet adapter to fit on the end of charger cord to adapt it to the wall in her home in Mexico. It has several settings to increase the size of the fonts.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would say the Kindle. It works in Mexico and is easy to use. She can order books from Amazon and have them delivered directly to her Kindle by turning on whispernet.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
For ease of use and simplicity, if their store works in Mexico, I would recommend the Kindle 3. It has the best e-ink screen at the moment (Pearl), it's easy to use and if she can buy from Amazon in Mexico, then the Amazon e-book store will be the simplest buying experience with the widest selection. She can buy books through the e-reader, so no hooking it up to a computer, just browse and buy.

Also though, Kobo is a very simple and easy to use e-reader with wifi, but since it sounds like you may rather have her know one store that's easy to buy from, their store isn't as big as Amazon Kindle, but it is pretty big anyway. And I don't know if she can buy from the Kobo store in Mexico.

And a Sony could also be a possibility. They are easy to use, have the newest Pearl screen, and most importantly (and unlike Kindle and Kobo) are touchscreen, which you may prefer for your mom. Of course, their store, same as Kobo, isn't as big as Amazon Kindle, but again it's still pretty big. And Sony is international so I'd hope she can buy from their reader store in Mexico. Only their bigger reader, the 950 (a 7"), has built in wifi and I'm not sure but I don't think she'd be able to buy and download from their store over wifi in Mexico (because the wifi version is only supported in the U.S. right now). However, you didn't specify that it has to have wifi, and their other e-readers, the 650 and 350, may also interest you.

Good luck with your decision!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony could be a good option. The OP mentioned ease of use. I figured that an e-reader that can download books wirelessly would be easier to use then one you have to use a USB cord for. So maybe the Sony 950? touchscreen and wireless capability. I don't know if the 950 can download books wirelessly from stores other then the Sony store.

I go my Mom a Kindle DXG. It has a larger screen so that she can read an ok amount at a larger font size. It also can be moved so that she can read in landscape mode which puts more words on the page and is nice for the larger font sizes. The Sony 950 is a 7 inch reader so it might accomplish the same thing although it is still close the 3 inches smaller then the DXG.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Sony could be a good option. The OP mentioned ease of use. I figured that an e-reader that can download books wirelessly would be easier to use then one you have to use a USB cord for. So maybe the Sony 950? touchscreen and wireless capability. I don't know if the 950 can download books wirelessly from stores other then the Sony store.

I go my Mom a Kindle DXG. It has a larger screen so that she can read an ok amount at a larger font size. It also can be moved so that she can read in landscape mode which puts more words on the page and is nice for the larger font sizes. The Sony 950 is a 7 inch reader so it might accomplish the same thing although it is still close the 3 inches smaller then the DXG.

the Sony 950 is a very sweet device but man that $300 price tag is just waay too much, way too much.

I think the Kindle or the kobo is the OP best route, I think Kobo/Borders has a pretty decent international support.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM   #11
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
I agree with the Kindle 3 recommendations. If the Kindle store works in Mexico, you can't get much easier to use than a Kindle. She can purchase directly from the device, or she can purchase books from the Amazon.com website on her computer and the books will automatically be sent to her device. She can even send samples of books to her device and initiate a purchase from within the sample.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtx99 View Post
I agree with the Kindle 3 recommendations. If the Kindle store works in Mexico, you can't get much easier to use than a Kindle. She can purchase directly from the device, or she can purchase books from the Amazon.com website on her computer and the books will automatically be sent to her device. She can even send samples of books to her device and initiate a purchase from within the sample.
Seconded...

Also, you can email books (e.g. those you've converted from other formats, ...) to her Kindle's email address, provided your email address is added to the permitted list on her Manage My Kindle page on Amazon's web site, and they will automatically download when she sync's her Kindle.

In short, with a Kindle, you never have to connect it to another computer and/or run any special software to load ebooks. Connecting via USB to sideload ebooks, either with native OS copy functions or with apps like Calibre, is an option, but one you don't have to use.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaQ View Post

3. She's American, but lives and works in Mexico and can only travel to the States 2-3 times a year. So it should be able to function outside of the US.
She may have issues with geographical restrictions - I don't know whether Mexico is generally tied in with USA for book rights or not.

Amazon checks your IP address for location before it will sell you a book, however if you can demonstrate that she lives in the USA then it should be no problem. I only have experience with Kindle4PC, but the email I received asked for some form of ID. I obviously don't have any for the USA, so I just ignored it - they were only free downloads.

Borders US has let me download free books without question, although I don't know if any of those were geo-restricted.

I'm pretty sure Kobo checks my IP address - it automatically directs to the Australian site.

I'm not too familiar with the other major US stores.

I would guess that wireless download would be easier and more intuitive than transferring files by usb, so I would suggest one with wi-fi or 3g would be better. You may want to check how good the wi-fi and 3g is in her part of Mexico before you make a decision, plus whether it will cost any extra to use 3g.

If she has no plans to use public libraries (check out the threads here on the Philadelphia Free Library), then provided she can demonstrate to Amazon's content that she is in the US (and uh, just travelling to Mexico...a lot :P ) and has adequate access to wi-fi and 3g, then the Kindle is probably the most appropriate.

If she is interested in getting library books, then perhaps look into one of the epub readers. I'm using a Sony 300, but that is without connectivity so books have to be sideloaded, and I don't know enough about the differences between the other devices to recommend one over the other. I *think* that the only Sony with connectivity is the 950, so a Nook or Kobo might be better.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

The web page you can go to is based on your registration. If her Kindle is registered to her at her sons home address in the US she should be fine.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
DianaQ
DianaQ began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Thank you everybody for your input!
I think the Kindle 3 is looking more and more as the right choice for my Mom
DianaQ is offline   Reply With Quote