Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-15-2005, 05:11 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
How do you organize your reading habits?

Miracles of modern science allow us to transfer huge volumes of written content into digital bytes to be then consumed in various ways on pocket-sized handhelds. E-books, e-news, RSS feeds - we've heard it all. The sheer amount of available tools and formats is awe-inspiring and often intimidating:

Tools: Adobe Acrobat, eReader, Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket Reader, iSilo, Plucker, Egress, HandRSS, et al.

Formats: Adobe Acrobat (PDF), Palm Doc (PDB), eReader (PDB), Rocket/REB1100 (RB), Microsoft Reader (LIT), Franklin eBookMan (FUB), hiebook (KML), iSilo (PDB), Mobipocket (PRC), OEBFF Format (IMP), et al.

PalmAddicts' Jeff Cole made a list of his favorite reading tools for which I am grateful since it helps to shed some light into the format mess. Like Jeff, I use eReader for reading commercial e-books. On the other hand, when I have access to an open-format like HTML, I prefer using iSilo or Plucker. For reading e-news, I used to work with offline tools such as Avantgo or iSiloX. Since wireless Internet has been on the march for some time, I found it easier and more convenient to switch to online solutions, using tools such as Egress, to browse the latest news via subscribed RSS feeds.

Now it's your turn to share with us how you organize your reading habits!
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
My system is pretty simple now

I have eReader and Mobipocket format books I've bought in the past, but if it's only available commercially now, I buy LIT format and use convertlit to read them with µbook. _All_ my ebook/novel reading is done in µbook now, though I keep registered versions of eReader, Mobipocket and iSilo installed "just in case" for my older books. Almost all my ebooks are now in zipped HTML or RTF format, so I will always be able to read them in the future.

Any news or online content is read with iSilo/iSiloX of course, which is still the master of presenting HTML/online content in a mobile friendly format.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
rlauzon
Wizard
rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.rlauzon put the bomp in the bomp-a-bomp-a-bomp.

Device: PocketBook Era
Rule #1: All DRM is evil.
Rule #2: Closed formats are always bad for the consumer.

So that rules out Acrobat, eReader, Microsoft Reader, Mobipocket Reader, iSilo, etc.

For eBooks, I stick with text/PalmDOC or RTF. Many of the eBooks I get are poorly edited (even the commercial eBooks that I buy) so I like to use WordSmith to correct them.

For web pages, nothing beats Plucker/Sunrise.
rlauzon is offline   Reply With Quote