Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Eucalyptus by Murray Bail

This is the MR Literary Club selection for February 2016. Whether you've already read it or would like to, feel free to start or join in the conversation at any time, and guests are always welcome!

GoodreadsAmazon Australia Canada India UK USKoboAudible Australia UK US

So, what are your thoughts on it?

sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I see a couple of members have read this book already. I'm hopefully getting to it soon, but I've got a bunch of ILLs lined up that if they appear I'll have to deal with first.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2016, 06:44 PM   #3
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I hope you enjoy it when you get to it, HomeInMyShoes. I loved it, and am looking forward to rereading it.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Oooh great! An Aussie read - love it!
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #5
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hawks, nature poems and now trees! I read that Murray Bail is known for both fiction and non-fiction which contributes to an interesting tone for this book. Looking forward to it! Thanks for volunteering nominations, Bookpossum!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2016, 01:44 AM   #6
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks caleb72 and Bookworm_Girl! I hope it lives up to expectations. There's such a feeling of responsibility, isn't there.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Your U.S.A. Kindle link is not active. Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_2&sr=8-2
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks caleb72 and Bookworm_Girl! I hope it lives up to expectations. There's such a feeling of responsibility, isn't there.
I was mesmerized by it and I never would have find out on my own, so you're responsible for that.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I was mesmerized by it and I never would have find out on my own, so you're responsible for that.
I was so glad you enjoyed it and rated it so highly!
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM   #10
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Eucalypts

I have just started reading and thought you might like to see a couple of the trees to which Bail refers. On page 2-3 he writes of the River Red Gum:

Quote:
Too masculine, too overbearingly masculine; covered in grandfatherly warts and carbuncles, as well.
Here's an example, which I photographed (appropriately beside the river) in a town called Menindee in New South Wales.

Then he goes on to talk about the Ghost Gum, which is found in the centre of Australia and looks particularly striking in contrast with the red soil there. The second photograph shows one in King's Canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	River Red Gum, Menindee.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	146125   Click image for larger version

Name:	King's Canyon, Northern Territory.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	146126  
Old 02-15-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I've just started to read this book. Here is an excellent article on Eucalypts on the Australian Government website. At the bottom of the article is a section on Literature and Poetry which mentions this book.

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-au...tory/eucalypts
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #12
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I started to read Eucalyptus coincident with a polar vortex in this area bringing -30C temperatures. In that context, it is interesting to imagine a climate where the dominant tree species are adapted to a water-scarce, frost-free environment.

In some ways, the structure of this book reminds me of Moby Dick. Besides the ongoing references to the natural history of eucalyptus, there is a very rich stream of narratives which are not obviously related to the plot. There are some marvelous stories here, like that of Holland breaking in his step-father's shoes (I think there is a deeper meaning there).
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

That's a very good article - thanks for finding it Bookworm_Girl. I did laugh at the final quote, which is from a spoof of Dylan Thomas's A Child's Christmas in Wales. It is quoted so seriously that I wondered if the person who put it in realised it was a spoof.

Good luck with the weather, bfisher! Indeed, it couldn't be much more different from ours, especially at this time of year!

I finished my reread of Eucalyptus last night, and enjoyed it all over again. I had forgotten how funny it was in the sly references Bail makes. For example, the beginning of Chapter 3, describing the landscape:

Quote:
... fitted out with blue sky and the obligatory tremendous gum tree, perhaps some merinos chewing on the bleached-out grass in the foreground, the kind of landscape seen during homesickness and in full colour on suburban butchers' calendars handed out with the sausages at Christmas ('Pleased to meet, meat to please' etc.)
Again, in Chapter 5, with its description of the little country town with "only one of everything" - there are so many of them, though many of them are now near the end of their existence because the rural industries they supported are either mechanised or gone. Once these little towns lose the bank and the school, they have no future.

I won't say anything more at this stage about the story itself, a wonderful Australian version of a fairy tale, except to say I love the way the central problem is resolved.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Gum Blossom

The article Bookworm_Girl shared with us reminded me about a couple of photographs I took several years ago in Western Australia, showing the cap coming off a blossom. The second photograph was taken about four minutes after the first one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Emerging gum blossom, Stirling Range.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	146444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Emerging gum blossom, Stirling Range 2 (four minutes later).jpg
Views:	430
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	146445  
Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #15
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Thanks for the blossom post, Bookpossum. When it comes to flowers, a picture really is worth more than a thousand words.

I'm always amazed at flowers, and how they transform their plants, and our feelings. It's hard to imagine the blooms that will be coming out of this in a few months:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Magnolia_buds_in_February.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	146471  
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote