Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
rmflight
rmflight began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Get article URL in postprocess_html

I need to do some post-processing on an html page after it is downloaded that includes finding div's that have links to html tables. The links are relative links that depend on the original URL of the article that was downloaded: this would be the "link" obtained from the actual rss feed.

Is there a way to get this URL in the postprocess_html function?
rmflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use get_obfuscated_article()
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
rmflight

That doesn't seem right. I'm using this recipe, and it gets the article actually pretty nicely, without any trouble.

I basically want access to the URL that gets returned by "print_version", trim off the last bit, and then go download the link defined in the article for a table (see line 383 here for an example), and then download, soupify, extract the table, and insert into the article directly.

To do that, I need the original URL that was used to download the article. It doesn't seem like it should be hard to do.

Are you telling me to use "get_obfuscated_article()" to just write a full custom defined method for this article? It doesn't seem like I should have to do that, because as I said, some simple tweaks to the recipe seem to get 99% of the content I need just fine. I want to do this in post-processing because not necessarily every article will have tables, but many of them will have images, which the basic recipe seems to do very nicely.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #4
rmflight

Or is there a way to tell Calibre that in addition to the image links, that I want to download the table files and do some processing on them as well?

Sorry, still new to Python in general, and the way the recipes work specifically.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no big deal in implementing obfuscated_article, just get the soup with self.index_to_soup passing in the url, make whatever changes you want. Save the soup to a temp file and return the path to the temp file. The rest of the recipe processing will then take place as normal on the contents of the temp file.

But if for some reason implementing obfuscated_article freaks you out, you can re-purpose populate_article_metadata to do what you want. Though IMO, that's a lot more hackish than using get_obfuscate_article.

Or you can implement preprocess_raw_article() which has the URL available.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
rmflight

It doesn't really freak me out, I was just trying to figure out where and how to do it. I will give this a try when I get a chance, probably won't be for a little bit.

Thank you.

Tags
postprocess_html, url