Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
msmith65
Enthusiast
msmith65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil - How to use it? Or don't?

I'm an experienced technical writer with a good understanding of HTML and XML.

I'm working on my first eBook creation, a cookbook with dozens of pictures. I started out using SharePoint, but hit some walls, then took a forum contributor's advice to try Sigil. Downloaded, installed, brought over my HTML document.

I usually have no problem teaching myself how to use software. This experience has been immensely frustrating.

It takes several minutes just to save a file.

The tutorial's instructions on building a TOC don't work. Menus in the tutorial don't match up with the interface in the software I downloaded (v. 0.5.3), and the TOC I'm trying to build won't appear in the Table of Contents window.

I'm wondering if I made a mistake trying to use Sigil. My goal is to create a file for the Kindle Fire, Nook Color, and a PDF.

Have I taken the wrong path?
msmith65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Sigil is great for making your ePubs.
The tutorial you refer to is for the not yet released v0.6.
I wrote a tutorial on html/css/ePub creation and Sigil. Version 2 of the tutorial covers Sigil 0.5.3. I think you may find it useful (see my signature)
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
For what it is worth I use an HTML editor to produce the files which end up as ePub ebooks and convert to mobi with calibre.

Given that you already have experience with HTML why not use the editor you are already familiar with?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
msmith65
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Sigil is great for making your ePubs.
The tutorial you refer to is for the not yet released v0.6.
I wrote a tutorial on html/css/ePub creation and Sigil. Version 2 of the tutorial covers Sigil 0.5.3. I think you may find it useful (see my signature)
Pablo, I may have to adopt you as my brother. Thank you.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #5
msmith65
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
For what it is worth I use an HTML editor to produce the files which end up as ePub ebooks and convert to mobi with calibre.

Given that you already have experience with HTML why not use the editor you are already familiar with?
Alex, thank you for your answer. The SharePoint editor worked but it wouldn't manage the images as well as I needed. I might be able to master that in SharePoint but for now I need a little more turn-key solution on deadline.

Again, thank you.
Advert