Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Reading on your computer......

Does anyone else like to read on there computer like I do? While I do have the nook touch and love it, Sometimes reading a ebook on a BIG monitor is kinda cool to.

If you do what program do you use?

IMHO I purchased ice book reader pro about 2 years ago. Paid 100 bucks but get up dates for life, is the best.

Now with a really human sounding voice I have it has REALLY opened up the possibilities. I can have the book read to me, with wireless headphones I can putter around the house while it reads to me. I can turn any book into a audio ebook for road trips.

I only started this thread in case you or someone you know may have eye sight issues. It really helps in that department.

While I love my nook touch, sometimes having it read to me is a nice break on the ol eye sight.

Just nice having a back up plan in case my e reader dies. I can still read. Thats my 2 cents.
tym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I've attempted to read on my PC a few times over the years, but I can't say I've ever managed to advance very far into a book, let alone complete one. The voice synthesiser capability of ICE Reader sounds interesting, but in my case I just can't see me using it often enough to warrant paying $100 for the program. Still, it's a good tip which I'm sure will be perfect for some people.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 08:32 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
While I love my nook touch, sometimes having it read to me is a nice break on the ol eye sight.
You could do the same with an eBook reader that has text-to-speech capabilities, such as the Kindle has.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
@tym

I primarily listen to audio books. In fact when I try to read an ebook on my Sony T1, I have stopped, converted it to audio and listened that way.

Yes, my eyesight is getting bad, but my main reason is when I read a book, I am restricted to sitting (or whatever) in one place while I read. But listening to an audio book (which I convert to MP3 and place on one of my players), I can move around, do housework, drive to the store, shop, or just lay back and close my eyes. And most important of all, I listen to the audio book at night to help me sleep. Having the talking (VERY softly) in my ears, puts me back to sleep when I frequently wake up.

I have an electronic converter which the voice is not too bad, not perfect, but acceptable. In it, to convert text is as simply as copying a section to clipboad and push the record button. I have it go directly to a file instead of read out loud. A full, normal chapter takes about 5 to 7 seconds to create the mp3 file. I've converted full books in a matter of 5 minutes or so.

Since ALL my books are placed into calibre, even the purchased ones , I just use its viewer, with copy to clipboard button and I'm good to go.

So keep converting....

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I used to use a netbook as my sole reader, using FBReader, but it was still a device I could hold or prop up in a variety of positions and easily adjust brightness on the fly. Now, even longer web articles get sent to my tablet rather than read them on my 22" PC monitor. While I do listen to audiobooks, so far I haven't resorted to text-to-speech. If I wanted to, I could let Mantano read epubs to me on my phone or tablet.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I've never read anything on a computer.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could do the same with an eBook reader that has text-to-speech capabilities, such as the Kindle has.
With txt to speech imho its all about the voice used. To hear some computer generated voices are BAD!! Lmao.

http://www.neospeech.com/ is the one I use. If you click on the left. Select UK voice then hit Bridget, its what I have used for quite some time.

I do have the other voices as well from neospeech. Bridget is just my favorite. With my reader that I purchased, It is such a cool program. Plus its nice to have a back up in case my e ink reader were to kick the bucket.

Its really easy on the eyes. You can choose your own colors for your fonts and back ground.

Now you can download a free version of ice book reader pro. It works fine. You just get a message every 15 min its shareware.

I used the shareware version for 6 months before I spent the cash.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
I've read a few books on a laptop. They were fiction books, only available in pdf format and Adobe reader was pretty much the only option available to me at that time. The laptop is a bit clunky for use as a reader all the time, but passable for something I really wanted to read.

More recently, I've read a little on a Netbook using the Nook and Kindle for PC applications. That actually worked out OK on a table at work during breaks. I'd go back to the netbook for reading if I didn't have more portable options available now.

Backlit LCD screens don't bother me for reading, depending on the lighting, I even prefer them in some situations.

Desktop computer though? I'll pass on using one for reading, I just can't get comfortable enough.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I have been reading on my pc for years, mostly word docs. Now that I have reader I bounce back and forth between my pc using the Sony software & my Sony reader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
tym
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I have been reading on my pc for years, mostly word docs. Now that I have reader I bounce back and forth between my pc using the Sony software & my Sony reader.
That is kinda what I do. With a 23 monitor, You can FLY through a book pretty quick. I read so many books. Sometimes is just something different.

Again, I am not here to give e readers a bad time. Just thought there may be people that read this forum, Or know someone with bad eye sight. Just wanted to let them know there are other options out there.

Hate to see eye issues stopping someone from enjoying a good book. Oh just for fun, I made a audio book.

With Ice book, My voice, Took about 30 to 40 min. Turned out fine. I know you can then take a mp3 splitter and make the file smaller.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #11
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
This is precisely why I started using my pc to read fanfiction. It was getting harder and harder for me to read paperback books even the bigger size ones. Being able to adjust the font size on the pc just made reading more enjoyable for me, but I was limited in what I could read. Now with the invention of ereaders/ing, I'm reading more than ever before anywhere I want! I have a library of over 400 ebooks and climbing!

Quote:
That is kinda what I do. With a 23 monitor, You can FLY through a book pretty quick. I read so many books. Sometimes is just something different.

Again, I am not here to give e readers a bad time. Just thought there may be people that read this forum, Or know someone with bad eye sight. Just wanted to let them know there are other options out there.

Hate to see eye issues stopping someone from enjoying a good book. Oh just for fun, I made a audio book.

With Ice book, My voice, Took about 30 to 40 min. Turned out fine. I know you can then take a mp3 splitter and make the file smaller.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Does anyone else like to read on there computer like I do? While I do have the nook touch and love it, Sometimes reading a ebook on a BIG monitor is kinda cool to.

If you do what program do you use?
I used to read ebooks on my laptop. In the early days, I used Microsoft Reader (.LIT was easy to de-DRM) and later, Adobe Digital Editions. Kinda dangerous, though, since I usually read at night and often doze off while reading with the laptop still sitting on my chest. Having the laptop fall off is extremely effective at getting the adrenaline going. Thankfully, none of my laptops have died that way, so far.

Nowadays, I just read on either my iPhone/iPod Touch or PRS-350. Much, much safer.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
When I'm at home, I like to retire to my man cave and read on my computer, the large monitor is great for my ancient eyeballs. But when I’m out and about I use my 7” Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab).

I usually use the Kindle app on both because WhisperSync allows me to keep the two devices synchronized without having to page through to find my place.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
flipreads
Connoisseur
flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flipreads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I read on a monitor - default when I didn't have an eReader.

Mainly I restrict eBook reading on the computer to PDFs. I switch around with print books, then ePub/Mobi for my iPod Touch/iPad.

Don't really listen to books, but if I did, I'd probably go the audio book route (there's free podcasts out there, if you don't want Audible). Great thing about iTunes is there's as 1.5x speed function (anything more is usually too fast...)
flipreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
voices in my head? NOOOOOOOOO!

no reading on PC for me, my eyes cannot stand it, I tried several times. Surfing on ipad, reading on Opus. And I don't like audiobooks, bought two and didn't manage to listen to the end (read by professional actor, kept thinking of his face expressions instead of book)
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote