Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #31
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

Device: Acer Iconia a500, XP tablet PC
I've just been using Astro (free version) and advanced task manager (free) to kill things. Aldiko seems to do what I need for reading for now so I haven't looked at anything else. It comes with Nook app installed. If I think about it maybe I'll turn the GPS on and see if it can lock some satellites, there are a few threads about it not working, but there is a receiver inside the device. I turned GPS on and loaded the Maps app and it says searching for location, but I'm inside so I doubt it will find a signal.

Someone posted that J&R has a refurb 16GB version for $290. With apps2SD it might not matter if you stick a 8GB or larger card in the device.

[edit] It did finally find me from GPS, so it definitely has one on my 16GB version.

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #32
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Thanks!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #33
WashWest
Enthusiast
WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WashWest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindly Paperwhite, PRS-350
DreamWriter, I was debating between these two tablets myself and look forward to reading your thoughts once you have them both in hand!

I'd been planning to buy the A100 because I had tried it and other 7" tablets (like the BB Playbook) in store, and they seemed to have the right size for what I needed. However, after spending some time with a relative's Kindle Fire, I realized a 7" was not going to let me read PDFs comfortably, so I went for the A500 (also the 8GB model at BB). The 8GB of storage doesn't concern me, as I don't plan to store a lot of music or video on it -- and if that changes, there are SD cards.
WashWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #34
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Acer Iconia A100 and A500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashWest View Post
DreamWriter, I was debating between these two tablets myself and look forward to reading your thoughts once you have them both in hand!
My A100 will be delivered today, but I won't be receiving the A500 until December 13. I plan to turn on the A100 and check out the screen a bit, but other than that I probably won't play with it much.

At this point, I'm planning to return the A100 and keep the A500. I received the case I bought for the A100 yesterday (it's nice!), and from that I can determine that the overall size of the device is the same as my Kindle Keyboard. I have played with other 7" screen tablets at Best Buy in the past, and that size isn't ideal (for me) for watching videos, in particular. I think I'll be happier with A500's 10.1" screen, even though it is heavier. The A500 also has a full-sized USB port (as well as a micro USB), which can be used with a thumb drive, etc. That's a plus over the A100, which only has a slave micro USB port. If I wanted a more portable device, I would probably keep the A100, but I'll be using a tablet mostly at home, so that's not important for me.

I'm disappointed that Best Buy moved my A500 delivery date from December 5 to December 13. But I feel fortunate to have been able to buy it at that price. They appear to have sold out shortly after I purchased mine.

Here's a guided tour of the A100 and the A100 Owner's Manual.

And here's a guided tour of the A500 and the A500 Owner's Manual.

I bought this Leather Slim folio Case With Multi-Angle Stand for the A500. I think it'll be nice.

Enjoy your new tablet! I'd love to know what you think of it. Do you have yours yet?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
My A100 will be delivered today, but I won't be receiving the A500 until December 13. I plan to turn on the A100 and check out the screen a bit, but other than that I probably won't play with it much.
huh??? ...not fair

I ordered mine before you did and it won't be delivered until Thursday. It's sitting in LA right now.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #36
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
huh??? ...not fair

I ordered mine before you did and it won't be delivered until Thursday. It's sitting in LA right now.
Last night, UPS tracking said it would arrive today. I just checked again, and now it says tomorrow.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-23-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:35 AM   #37
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Last night, UPS tracking said it would arrive today. I just checked again, and now it says tomorrow. Mine is at UPS's distribution center in Vernon. It came from Fresno.
I guess that's where mine was. I just checked and it departed at 1am. Since I won't get it until Thursday, my guess is that it'll stop for lunch in San Francisco and then take in a showing of Fela! at the Curan, before heading on to the Emerald City.

sigh
Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #38
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Since I won't get it until Thursday, my guess is that it'll stop for lunch in San Francisco and then take in a showing of Fela! at the Curan, before heading on to the Emerald City.

sigh
What a lucky tablet.

In addition to good tips here at MobileRead, I'm finding a lot of good Acer tablet info over at AndroidCentral's forums:

Acer Iconia A100 Forum
Acer Iconia A500 Forum

Last edited by DreamWriter; 01-24-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:33 PM   #39
Greg_E
Zealot
Greg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheeseGreg_E can extract oil from cheese

My a500 has been pretty good with PDF so far. Lately at work I have my work computer on with the stuff I need to see all day, Windows tablet computer with serial and ethernet to the new network switches on, and a500 with user manuals up all day. The only thing I'm missing is good portrait stand for the a500 that will allow both power and audio connections. I have a car suction cup holder on the way that I'll probably mod to have a heavy base to make a desk mount.

There is also normally a second computer on a KVM on the current network doing things like configuring a new server.

At home I just hold the a500 to read.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
What a lucky tablet. I love San Francisco. <sigh>

In addition to good tips here at MobileRead, I'm finding a lot of good Acer tablet info over at AndroidCentral's forums:

Acer Iconia A100 Forum
Acer Iconia A500 Forum

I'm an Android newbie, so this is a whole new world for me.
Isn't it

Thanks for the links. I've had Android for a year now. I have a rooted Nook Color that I'll be giving away as soon as I decide between the Acer and Dell. I'm fairly certain I'll be keeping the Acer.

That said, my Galaxy Player (from Amazon) is already out for delivery and it'll soon be in my hands. It's replacing my iPod touch, which is also being given away.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:04 PM   #41
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes you can watch Amazon Prime over the web. I've tried it on my nook and it worked, the A100 sports a T2 CPU (dual core 1Ghz) so it should handle the video even better.

There is an apk(install file) of the Amazon Prime App floating around. It will allow you to watch Amazon Prime movies from the App. I've not tried it but the thread at XDA says they where able to watch the movie from the A100. (link)

I can't answer the question about the HDMI since I've not tried it. However if the movie is 780p it should handle it just fine.

=X=
Thanks for the link =X=, I loaded the APK on my SGT, and it opens fine, and browses titles. I won't know if it works until I get my cable modem working again. I've been without broadband at home for nearly a week now. Larry, The Cable Guy is supposed to be out tomorrow to fix it.

The guys at XDA say it doesn't work on 3g, so... With a 3 GB account on VZW, I can't afford to watch many movies on 3G anyway.

If this works, AND my Visio TV can do Amazon flix, I’ll be ready to spring for an Amazon Prime account to supplement my Netfilx one
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #42
Greg_E
Zealot

FYI, I finally received the silicone cover (eBay) for my a500 , it is fairly loose so I don't think I can recommend it. I'll give it a couple days to see if it might shrink and fit better, but so far when it gets warm it gets more loose. I may have to order the one that Acer sells.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #43
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
FYI, I finally received the silicone cover (eBay) for my a500 , it is fairly loose so I don't think I can recommend it. I'll give it a couple days to see if it might shrink and fit better, but so far when it gets warm it gets more loose. I may have to order the one that Acer sells.
I was looking at a silicone cover for the A500 at Amazon yesterday, and I noticed the same complaint—too loose. The silicone cover that I have for my Kindle fits like a glove; it'd be nice to find something like that. Let us know if you do find a good one.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #44
Greg_E
Zealot

I pulled it off last night and put some tape back on it this morning, need to contact the seller. People have said the rubber cover that Acer sells is really nice, going to see if my local Staples might have one in stock so I can try it before spending more money.

I really like the concept but it needs to fit better for me to use it.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #45
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I pulled it off last night and put some tape back on it this morning, need to contact the seller. People have said the rubber cover that Acer sells is really nice, going to see if my local Staples might have one in stock so I can try it before spending more money.

I really like the concept but it needs to fit better for me to use it.
There isn't a rubber cover for the A500 on Acer's website. If you do find one, I'd be interested to know where it's sold.

I received my A100 today. I decided not to open the box since I'm quite certain I'll be returning it to Best Buy when I receive my A500 on Dec. 13. I know that they will take open-box returns, but it just doesn't feel right to play with it. It's torturing me sitting in my closet, though.