Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #136
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Thanks for the info! What a great deal.

I guess it will sell out real quick, but I'd like to know the answer to this question and I can't find it: Can I bypass the activation or I will have to pay the first month to Verizon? In that case, the real price would be $200 (still a good deal). Does anyone know?
YW ...activation is free, but you have to get a data plan for at least 30 days, so the actual cost is $200. What a shame.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #137
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I agree with this 100%. While I'm not thrilled with the amount of control Apple has over my iThings, I would so much rather that Apple have control over my device than that the carriers would. And, substituting Google for Apple, I think that all Android users feel the same way.

And taking control of the OS is probably what the vast majority of users want as well. I don't think many people interpreted "open source" as meaning "open source for the carriers, but you may be locked down."

And, really, I don't think many people care about open source per se. What people want, IMO, is a phone that works like a PC. Once you install the OS, you are completely free to put whatever programs from whatever source on your device. And neither Google, nor the handset manufacturer, nor the carrier, will put any artificial barriers in your way.

The handset manufacturer is solely responsible for the handset and has nothing to say about the programs you choose to put on the handset. The carriers job is only to provide bandwidth. And the OS developer is solely responsible for producing and updating the OS.

This is, clearly, not Apple's model. But it should be Google's model.
We're on the same page
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #138
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
YW ...activation is free, but you have to get a data plan for at least 30 days, so the actual cost is $200. What a shame.
Activation is free... for Costco members. I am not.

Quote:
Verizon Wireless Activation Fees Explained
A $35.00 activation fee will appear on your first bill for every new 2-year service contract.

A $25.00 activation fee will appear on your first bill for every secondary Family Share lines with 2-year contract.

As an exclusive to Costco members, you will receive a mail-in rebate to reimburse you for the activation fee on your new and/or Family Share 2- year service agreements.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:09 AM   #139
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Activation is free... for Costco members. I am not.
That's a shame. That makes it even more expensive. Do you have any friends with a Costco membership?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #140
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
That's a shame. That makes it even more expensive. Do you have any friends with a Costco membership?
I'll buy it for him.

$35 to do so though...
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 03:56 AM   #141
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Selling tablets through cell phone carriers is stupid. It's just another way to charge even more for these devices with contracts, activation fees, and data plans.

I love the netbook experience. When you want one, you just buy it. No strings attached, no contracts, no data plans, and they're super cheap. When upgrades happen to the OS or browser, you download them when you want to; not when some third party drags their heels and then lets you do so months after the upgrade. Need that NetFlix or Hulu app? Just get it, because practically all apps are available for PC. No waiting around for deals to be struck between third parties.

I swear, the mobile environment still has a long road to haul to catch up to the simplicity of the desktop environment. For me, mobile is nothing more than a toy; and I expect my toys to be cheap and simple.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #142
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Selling tablets through cell phone carriers is stupid. It's just another way to charge even more for these devices with contracts, activation fees, and data plans.

I love the netbook experience. When you want one, you just buy it. No strings attached, no contracts, no data plans, and they're super cheap. When upgrades happen to the OS or browser, you download them when you want to; not when some third party drags their heels and then lets you do so months after the upgrade. Need that NetFlix or Hulu app? Just get it, because practically all apps are available for PC. No waiting around for deals to be struck between third parties.

I swear, the mobile environment...

The non-Apple mobile environment. Most specifically, the Android environment.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #143
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I swear, the mobile environment still has a long road to haul to catch up to the simplicity of the desktop environment. For me, mobile is nothing more than a toy; and I expect my toys to be cheap and simple.
Exactly the reasons why I got a Windows tablet. I can do all those things iOS and Android cannot. These mobile apps are just a way to lock you in and collect your data.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote