Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 07:12 PM   #46
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Lisa from Mobiletech review also did a fantastic video. In her's she shows off the HDTV connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLG2EYKWktQ
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #47
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Yep, the bootloader is unlocked (thanks, Motorola).

One note regarding contracts. VZW is offering its unique $20/1GB per month but it differs from the other levels only with regard to the charge incurred if the 1GB is exceeded -- another $20/GB. For all the other plans the overage charge is $10/GB.

The $10 is clearly spelled out but not the $20. Still, I think it's a good deal particularly if one has a company discount.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #48
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Lisa from Mobiletech review also did a fantastic video. In her's she shows off the HDTV connection.

Fabulous review as always. Wonder what the price will be at the end of the year. It's on my wish list for the November/December holiday season.

If only HTC would come out with an Android tablet. You KNOW that would rock!!!

Last edited by SCION; 02-27-2011 at 08:53 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #49
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
SCION

The HTC Flyer is out already I think and more coming by July.Take a look: http://www.pcworld.com/article/21713...d_tablets.html

jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #50
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Fabulous review as always. Wonder what the price will be at the end of the year. It's on my wish list for the November/December holiday season.

HTC has one in the works, here is the video. Many of the Android bloggers did not like the Flyer mainly because it shipped with 2.2 and not 3.0. It does look nice and personally I think the stylus concept is a nice touch.
In the past what made HTC so nice was the hardware and HTC sense, but I think Google has now leap frogged them and is producing a much better UI. At this point for me anything that starts deviating from the stock Google UI, a common HTC practice, is a down side and not a plus.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #51
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

yeah she does a good job. Out of all the reviewers I dont' think you can get much more of a neutral objectionable one than from Lisa.

and she goes very in depth. Much much more of a complete review than you would find on Cnet and Engadget. Those two it almost seems like they are holding back or something.

the Xoom is pretty *bleeeping* wild.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #52
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
HTC has one in the works, here is the video. Many of the Android bloggers did not like the Flyer mainly because it shipped with 2.2 and not 3.0. It does look nice and personally I think the stylus concept is a nice touch.
In the past what made HTC so nice was the hardware and HTC sense, but I think Google has now leap frogged them and is producing a much better UI. At this point for me anything that starts deviating from the stock Google UI, a common HTC practice, is a down side and not a plus.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not interested in the Flyer (reminds me of a phone layout). Curious about the other two tablets expected to arrive on the scene later this year.

Can we (Android users) get functionality that makes use of a stylus for handwritten annotations/markups and/or note taking now that we have tablets. We're still two steps behind the iPad when it comes to certain things.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 PM   #53
karefaec
karefaec began at the beginning.

Device: xoom
I picked up a xoom on Friday, so far I'm really happy with it. The music interface is beautiful. I owned an ipad at one time but I just got fed up with it. I'm gonna give the xoom a few months before I make any decisions about its worth. We'll see if it can live up to the standards the marketing departments have set for it, lol.
karefaec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #54
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
The Gadgeteer reports that it is a couple of Oz. heavier than the iPad.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #55
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Yep, the bootloader is unlocked (thanks, Motorola).

One note regarding contracts. VZW is offering its unique $20/1GB per month but it differs from the other levels only with regard to the charge incurred if the 1GB is exceeded -- another $20/GB. For all the other plans the overage charge is $10/GB.

The $10 is clearly spelled out but not the $20. Still, I think it's a good deal particularly if one has a company discount.
That's exactly why I opted for the 3GB plan for my Galaxy Tab. With free wireless Hotspot, I can see myself easily exceeding 2 GB.

I believe I’ll be waiting for a 7 inch version, or a Honeycomb upgrade for the SGT, whichever comes first.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM   #56
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
yeah she does a good job. Out of all the reviewers I dont' think you can get much more of a neutral objectionable one than from Lisa.

and she goes very in depth. Much much more of a complete review than you would find on Cnet and Engadget. Those two it almost seems like they are holding back or something.
This is my first time watching her and the review was very good. I'm not much of a fan of CNET, but they put on a lively show.

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I'm not interested in the Flyer (reminds me of a phone layout). Curious about the other two tablets expected to arrive on the scene later this year.

Can we (Android users) get functionality that makes use of a stylus for handwritten annotations/markups and/or note taking now that we have tablets. We're still two steps behind the iPad when it comes to certain things.
I'm not aware of any OS feature from either from Android or iOS that supports stylus input. Most of the solutions I've seen are done by third parties, in the case of HTC.

There are some Android apps that do work well with stylus pens like AutoCAD sketch app and RepliGos PDF reader. As for Apple, I'm sure their are apps, I just don't know what exists for the Apple platform.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #57
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This is my first time watching her and the review was very good. I'm not much of a fan of CNET, but they put on a lively show.

I'm not aware of any OS feature from either from Android or iOS that supports stylus input. Most of the solutions I've seen are done by third parties, in the case of HTC.

There are some Android apps that do work well with stylus pens like AutoCAD sketch app and RepliGos PDF reader. As for Apple, I'm sure their are apps, I just don't know what exists for the Apple platform.

=X=

she does great ereader reviews as well. She's actually my "go to" reviewer for ereaders.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #58
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

That's puttin' me back in the "buy it" camp.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
That's exactly why I opted for the 3GB plan for my Galaxy Tab. With free wireless Hotspot, I can see myself easily exceeding 2 GB.

I believe I’ll be waiting for a 7 inch version, or a Honeycomb upgrade for the SGT, whichever comes first.
If you need 3g and not just wi-fi, I think that's the plan to go with. $25/month and triples the 1G plan for just $5 more.

I was mistaken, or what read was wrong. the 3G plan is actually $35/month...

Last edited by kennyc; 03-01-2011 at 01:24 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #60
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
PC World UK selling a wifi only version!

Gosh, don't understand why they always give less alternatives to USA customers.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote