Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-23-2007, 04:01 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
They really are different devices, I've not thought of them as competitors for over a year now.

I agree; the Sony is a dedicated bookreader; the iLiad is a general-purpose computer.

The reason I plan to buy a CyBook (when it becomes available) is because I want an equivalent of the Sony which will handle MobiPocket format, so I can use the same book format on both a highly portable device like the CyBook and a larger-format one like the iLiad.

I share your view that the devices are complimentary rather than "rivals".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #17
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Now I do see the Cybook and the Reader as direct competitors.

Or, I will, when the Cybook actually launches.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #18
gingercat
Connoisseur
gingercat began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason I plan to buy a CyBook (when it becomes available) is because I want an equivalent of the Sony which will handle MobiPocket format, so I can use the same book format on both a highly portable device like the CyBook and a larger-format one like the iLiad.
I wonder if someone will be able to port the MobiPocket reader so it runs on the Sony - theoretically it should be possible.
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably not. My guess would be that it's the same Java-based MobiPocket reader that the iLiad uses. The Sony Reader doesn't have a Java JVM.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #20
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Probably not. My guess would be that it's the same Java-based MobiPocket reader that the iLiad uses. The Sony Reader doesn't have a Java JVM.
I have to admit I haven't looked into the technology that operates these readers yet. I had assumed that the reader software had been ported to operate natively in linux rather than thu the JVM. A native linux port would work tho but I spose that would mean the whole thing would have to be re-coded in C or C++ unless there's another option.
Advert
Old 08-26-2007, 04:38 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The MobiPocket reader on the iLiad works very well indeed; I'd be very happy to see that same reader on the CyBook. The only thing I really miss on it, compared with the Sony Reader, is a bookmark facility but, on the other hand, it has many features which the Sony doesn't, such as a virtually limitless variation of font size (compared with the Readers's "S/M/L") and much better "navigation" through a book.

I must add that it being the same Java-based reader that the iLiad uses is pure speculation on my part - I could be completely wrong!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:25 AM   #22
decrisco
decrisco began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Portable Reader
Hello All,

I found this website a few days ago when I was looking for how to get the Sony reader in Europe. Your posts are really helpful, thanks!

However, I've also discovered the Iliad now and I'm tempted to get it instead of the Sony Reader.

You mentioned before that they are different and not competitors.
What is so different about them (apart from battery life and the possibility to write in one)? Do the extras the Iliad has justify the price?
decrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:51 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The iLiad is a general-purpose computer; the Sony is a dedicated bookreader. Both are wonderful devices, but if I had to choose between them I'd choose the iLiad.

Is it worth the extra? It is (and was) to me; everyone has to make that decision for themselves.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #24
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojan View Post
Are you sure about that?
Then, how come that I get only 12 months warranty for my iLiad?
The European union recommends (and tries to force its members to "harmonize") laws. In my country we switched from standard 12 months warranty to 24 months to "harmonize" with an European union. It is 24 months only for consumer goods for final customers - real people. I have recently acquired a fancy Makita angle grinder. For me - a person - the warranty is automatically at least 24 months, but it the same product is purchased by a commercial entity - a company for example - for use as a manufacturing tool the warranty is automatically 12 months (or more, depending on the contract).

But even a 12 months warranty is much, much better than what an US citizen would get
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #25
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingercat View Post
I wonder if someone will be able to port the MobiPocket reader so it runs on the Sony - theoretically it should be possible.
If the new Cybook is using MobiPocket's Java Reader, then this demonstrates that it is indeed possible - since the two devices (Cybook and Sony) are using the same display controller and, probably, a very similar Linux base O/S. However, the only "someone" who could do this in practice is Sony and they would have to port a Java JVM to the device first (as iRex has done on the iLiad and presumably Bookeen has done on the new Cybook). Since Sony has announced future Adobe Digital Editions support (on some e-book device or other), they are unlikely to go the MobiPocket route.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #26
gingercat
Connoisseur

Quote:
The iLiad is a general-purpose computer; the Sony is a dedicated bookreader. Both are wonderful devices, but if I had to choose between them I'd choose the iLiad.

Is it worth the extra? It is (and was) to me; everyone has to make that decision for themselves.
I have also bought both and have to agree with Harry and say I'd choose the iliad so now I have the iliad and my wife has the Sony.

2 things where the Sony has an advantage are:
  • Sony's choice of tonts (I think irex is looking into addressing this in a software update to come)
  • The Sony's battery seems to last forever without needing to be recharged