Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Boyodublin
Enthusiast
Boyodublin is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader
Sony Reader PRS-700 Credit Card Order Advice: SWITCH IT ON!!

Thank you for helping me to keep it real folks. Sorry I was gone for a while after my Sony rant the other night but
I’m a Dubliner, so the pubs eat up a lot of my time! What can I tell you! I guess it’s the Guinness!
Anyway, I’m changing the heading of this thread because it was a bit too strong. I love my PRS-500 and get so much enjoyment from it that I realize I shouldn’t lambast SONY so heavily. Anyway, I was frustrated the other night when I got the cancellation email because when I pre-ordered the PRS-700, I was redirected to the Chase credit card application. I guess I pitched both entities for responsibility in equal measure for the mess up. Couldn’t someone from Sony have called first before cancelling the order that was pending for almost a month? If a buyer is trying to spend almost $450 on an electronic device, I think it only good business practice to reach out to that person if there is a problem. As it turns out, the problem was my own. I hadn’t turned on the credit card (as JSWolf suggested, Thanks!!).
So folks….Mia Culpa….I’m an idiot sometimes…..What can I say…
I’ve decided to leave the order canceled anyway, because I want folks in this excellent forum to post reviews before I decide to spend the money on upgrading to the PRS-700.

THIS IS WHAT I ORIGINALLY POSTED........SORRY!!

I placed an order with Sony for the PRS-700 a few weeks back using their credit carfd offer with a $150 credit off their first purchase. The order was accepted and the credit card arrived at my house. I've just received a notice from Sony that says the following:
This is to inform you that the below item(s) on your order has been cancelled due to the following reason:
We were not able to obtain approval from your financial institute.
Order Number: SW08??????????
I believe this is because they don't want to give me the credit, which by the way, has gone down to a $100 offer. My credit is way up in the high 700's and I own my own house for gods sake!!!
SCAMMERS ALWAYS GET THEIR OWN......BEWARE OF THE SONY MONSTER!!!
Their PRS-700 is looking like a no go anyway!!! Just read the reviews on this site!!!
I'm actually glad in some ways that they XLD the order, saves me having to do it, which I was alreadey contemplating.

Last edited by Boyodublin; 11-07-2008 at 10:51 PM. Reason: I've learned something!!!
Boyodublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Well, I'm not fond of Sony, the company or its products. So, somehow this just doesn't surprise me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyodublin View Post
I placed an order with Sony for the PRS-700 a few weeks back using their credit carfd offer with a $150 credit off their first purchase. The order was accepted and the credit card arrived at my house. I've just received a notice from Sony that says the following:
This is to inform you that the below item(s) on your order has been cancelled due to the following reason:
We were not able to obtain approval from your financial institute.
The "financial institute" is presumably the Sony Credit Card, so perhaps this is just a mixup in timing between your new credit card arriving (and being turned on by a phone call?) and the order going through.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #4
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
The Sony Credit Card is a Chase credit card.
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
The Sony Credit Card is a Chase credit card.
and all financial decisions are made by Chase, not by Sony. If Chase didn't approve the transaction then Sony has no choice but to cancel the order. Perhaps your ire is misdirected?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just a point, but "a few weeks ago" would have placed the order right inside the height of the credit crisis. Essentially even people with very good credit ratings were having trouble obtaining credit during that period. Its possible, in this particular case, that the problem was caused by that as much as anything else.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Well, I'm not fond of Sony, the company or its products. So, somehow this just doesn't surprise me.
I, OTOH, own numerous Sony products and am very happy with them. Never had a problem with either the products or Sony customer service.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If the Sony card is a Chase card then there are problems indeed. There were reports from several people on the Amazon forums reporting problems with the $100 off the Kindle promotion. They said they applied and ordered within the time frame required. More often than not there were no problems and people got their discounts but there were enough complaints to know it wasn't isolated.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This is the time to pick up a phone and call Sony customer service. I am sure you are not the first person to have this happen. Customer service will probably honor the offer, in order to keep your future business.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:11 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
If Chase didn't approve the transaction then Sony has no choice but to cancel the order.
Yes, but if the Chase card has a credit limit then disallowing a particular purchase within that limit is unusual. Reasons for disallowing a transaction that have nothing to do with credit are things like mismatched name, or wrong CC number, or mismatched address.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I, OTOH, own numerous Sony products and am very happy with them. Never had a problem with either the products or Sony customer service.
I too own numerous Sony products and am not happy with many of them. I have had TONS of problems with Sony "customer service." TONS .... as in massive amounts.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I too own numerous Sony products and am not happy with many of them. I have had TONS of problems with Sony "customer service." TONS .... as in massive amounts.
We have Sony laptops at work beacuse "they look nice". Mostly, thankfully, they're reliable because I loathe their customer support - it used to be OK, then they farmed it out to another company, and it's dire.

Not as dire as I've known HP to be - have I said about being asked what happens if I turned a server on - after telling the chap that the server concerned was full of water?
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe the problem was that the card was not activated and thus the order canceled. have you tried again knowing the card is activated?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Not as dire as I've known HP to be - have I said about being asked what happens if I turned a server on - after telling the chap that the server concerned was full of water?
Maybe he thought it was distilled water
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
There was a report on public radio a few days ago saying that even people with excellent credit ratings are being refused due to the current financial crisis, like one poster said. Basically, the lenders are too nervous right now and are being extra cautious, so much so that their current decisions don't necessarily reflect the customers' credit ratings.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote