Notices

Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 AM   #121
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
It appears this does support pdf searching. Hopefully it's not just an error in the translation process.
That is correct indeed; the DR1000S/DR1000SW let you enter keywords using a virtual (on-screen) keyboard. This way you can search in pdf files.

The DR1000 lacks a stylus, so it is not possible to use the virtuel keyboard on this model. Hence it is 'read only'.

Last edited by ebookreaders; 09-23-2008 at 04:49 AM. Reason: added DR1000 info
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #122
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I believe the only difference between the 1000S and the 1000SW is that the latter has wifi and bluetooth in addition to the wacom touch screen, the touch screen should be the same between those two models.
Thanks for the reply. I asked the question because I thought the 1000S allowed for finger touch at least on the icons. I understand the whole screen is not touch sensitive. From the documentation so far it appeared it might not be available with the SW. Or am I wrong in believing there is touch capability on the icons for the 1000S?

New question - If the lowest model doesn't allow a stylus or touch then does this mean we can't read a secure PDF? I have at least one PDF where I have to login each time I open it. It is a drag to do this but it appears this will not be possible with the lowest model.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #123
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timezone View Post
TOr am I wrong in believing there is touch capability on the icons for the 1000S?

New question - If the lowest model doesn't allow a stylus or touch then does this mean we can't read a secure PDF?
The Wacom touch screen is stylus only.

Without the touch screen the 1000 does not have a virtual keyboard and so can't read your passworded PDF. Note that it is possible to crack passworded PDFs to produce a password free version. It is not currently possible to crack Adobe Secure PDF ebooks, which require Adobe Reader 7 or Adobe Digital Editions to read them.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #124
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
New 1000 series looks great but I'll be keeping hold of my money until there are a lot of real-life reviews of battery life, connectivity, fragility & quality of support.

Once bitten, twice shy as far as iRex goes.
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 PM   #125
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
My first post asking about when the SW model will be available slid by earlier, so I'll repost here:

Does anyone know when the SW model will be available?
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #126
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I haven't seen anything on it yet, Studio717.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #127
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Thanks, NatCh.

More waiting, I guess, but at least now I know what I'm waiting for.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #128
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post
Does anyone know when the SW model will be available?
There is no official or unofficial date set yet.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #129
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
There is no official or unofficial date set yet.
Except to say it will not be this year.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #130
Studio717
Addict

Thanks, tribble and DaleDe. Not much else I can do now but settle in and wait.

(I really wish they wouldn't announce things so far ahead. )
Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 PM   #131
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
cnet review - sort off

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7-10047886-82.html

And this is the interesting part

And Brons says the $849 wireless version will have a full-fledged Web browser that's able to deal with moving Flash images by converting them into static still images
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #132
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Interesting. The media formats supported appear to have been changed.

I wonder what happened to PowerPoint support?

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 AM   #133
Indigo Ink
The curious one!
Indigo Ink began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook, Ebookman 901
Another nugget of information: if it turns out to be true...fingers crossed

iRex has partnered with Wacom to bring Tablet PC like features in the ebook reader. For instance you can use the stylus pen to write or sketch on the screen and that gets saved with your document in iRex’s memory. You could connect the iRex to your PC via USB and convert all the handwritten text into digital format just like Microsoft OneNote or Abbyy Reader.

Source

http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/irex-d...0-review/4623/
Indigo Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #134
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Oh, that it should be so! I think I may swoon with joy!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:14 AM   #135
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I wonder of the Bluetooth on 1000SW will include PAN profile support. Compared to Wifi, one could setup PAN connection with their PC at home and be online at fraction of the power consumption.
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote