Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your Kobo Touch?
Yep, I'm happy with my purchase. 128 79.50%
No way! I want another eReader. 3 1.86%
I will be with the right firmware update(s). 30 18.63%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #31
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I'm mostly happy withthe KT.
The annoying font issue making text disappear off the bottom of the screen is annoying and historically other issues.
I would prefer Kobo to get a stable release out and forget about new features UNTIL it's totally stable.

But all in all it's a great eReader and some of the features I love, such as external storage and ePUB support.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
leslie_ms
leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leslie_ms has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi, Kobo Touch, Kobo for Android
Overall, I'm happy with the Touch. I've had a couple of problems, but nothing bad enough to take it back to the store.

I had the "not turning on" problem once. The reader fixed itself while I was online looking for a solution.

I started getting the storage error 3 or 4 days before the fix came out. It was an annoyance more than anything. I could read my books. I didn't lose any books. I could download books. And, the reader kept my bookmarks correctly.

I'm not crazy about some of the design decisions Kobo has made. I hate the new home page. I'd much rather have a book list rather than a pile and an indication of how much of each book I've read, like on the WiFi. On the other hand, the dictionary and navigation is so much better and the new font choices are great.

Compared to my other choices (Kindle and Sony), I still think that the Kobo is the best of the bunch.
leslie_ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #33
Shankill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganM View Post
Apparently Collins is going to be selling KT soon. Well this month supposedly.
I e-mailed Borders AU's website team, and they said they should have it from mid-September. And last I heard on Collins was end of September.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #34
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Overall I'm happy with the Kobo Touch, my first eReader. I voted for the "firmware update(s)" option though.

I've had a couple issues that seem software-related (they happened with both units I've had, anyway). A couple freezes, and more worryingly I've had the touch screen become completely unresponsive after powering up/waking from sleep but the home button still works. Neither of these flaws make me feel warm and fuzzy about my purchase, but I admit that both issues are fixable with a quick reboot so I can live with them for now.

The software feels a bit unfinished to me, so I'm hoping it gets better with a few firmware updates. I won't go into specifics as I've shared most of my thoughts on this matter in the firmware updates thread.

I will say that if I had known about the upcoming Sony T1 at the time of purchase, I may have waited a bit longer to buy. For now though I'm pretty invested in the Kobo Touch (bought the protection plan and a case) so I guess I will stick it out.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:08 PM   #35
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
I've had my KT for about 2 months now and during that time it has been problem free. The firmware definitely needs a little polish but overall I'm very happy with my purchase.

Cottser, I was in the same boat as you... my alternative was a Sony PRS-650 but I couldn't justify spending that much. If the PRS-T1 had been available at the time, it would have been a much closer call.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #36
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyvros View Post
I e-mailed Borders AU's website team, and they said they should have it from mid-September. And last I heard on Collins was end of September.
I had an email from Collins today saying the end of this month as well. So let's hope. I'm visiting Oz in October and want to pick up another KT if they are available by then.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:35 AM   #37
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
I had an email from Collins today saying the end of this month as well. So let's hope. I'm visiting Oz in October and want to pick up another KT if they are available by then.
Totally off topic, but hows the Rugby atmosphere over there atm.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #38
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
Totally off topic, but hows the Rugby atmosphere over there atm.
OT - amazing atmosphere over the weekend. I went to the opening (not the game but to the city to watch the fireworks). I've never seen crowds that big in Auckland and all having a great time. I even saw a Russian Cossack and his Ice maiden - all sorts were there. Plenty lots of green and gold wigs as well and a few blow up kangaroos.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #39
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
OT - amazing atmosphere over the weekend. I went to the opening (not the game but to the city to watch the fireworks). I've never seen crowds that big in Auckland and all having a great time. I even saw a Russian Cossack and his Ice maiden - all sorts were there. Plenty lots of green and gold wigs as well and a few blow up kangaroos.
OT: Sounds great. I had a great time when it was here last (final results aside). I was happy to see my other two teams get up, the Irish and the Fijians. the bok were lucky to get a win, sure was rooting for the Welsh to get that extra point.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #40
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I'm happy with my KT, which is a relief as I bought it from Borders US just before they announced they were closing down. I'm not sure what I would do here in Australia if it died on me - presumably I would have to send it back to Kobo in Canada. Fingers crossed that won't be necessary.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:15 AM   #41
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Very happy with KT (1.9.10), except for some power problems on USB ports on my old PC so that it does not always connect properly. Anyway, I can use my eeePC 900 (Linux) to connect and load books on it.
Great tool.
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #42
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
My family has 3 Kobo Wi-Fi's and 1 touch. The only big issue we've had is the rubber button separated on my own wi-fi, and most small things usually get addressed in firmware updates.. The 10 year old can't put hers down, and the wife hasn't had any issues when she uses hers. I encountered the storage issue once, but I think it had more to do with a particular book (Which is still causing me problems, although not on the kobo itself...).

Like others have mentioned, I think most peoples frustrations aren't actually with the device itself, but with the general support that Kobo's customer service provides. Yes, they are a small company, but that doesn't excuse the fact that their support is very inconsistent, and most reps seem to have very little knowledge of the product they are supposed to be supporting. If anything, being smaller should make it easier to get processes out to their entire team.

That said, like any product, you will always have a much more vocal angry minority than the quiet happy majority posting here; Forums weren't generally made to discuss what a good experience people have, but to try to find help to the problems they might be having and work arounds to said problems. People are going to be even more vocal when they know the company is trolling the boards for issues.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #43
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Love, love, love my touch
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #44
Woola
Barsoomian
Woola began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3g, Kobo Touch
I've had mine for a month and just love it. No problems at all. I've borrowed some books at the library and bought some books. I got it at a Borders close out for $77. Couldn't be more pleased. I have a Kindle 3 3g also. I wouldn't say the KT is better, but it is a great compliment to my Kindle. Just what I was looking for.
Woola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #45
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
I quite like my KT. I've had no problems with it at all.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote