Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
New Jetbook Firmware today

I just checked the Ectaco site and the firmware for jetBook is now version 0.35g dated June 30, 2010
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Oooh, interesting. Except... the link doesn't work.

Once it does, want to do some more magic, tselling?
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Greycap
Greycap began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook-lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Oooh, interesting. Except... the link doesn't work.

Once it does, want to do some more magic, tselling?
Just for info, I've just finished the update. Link worked for me.
Does anyone know what this update does?
Greycap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #4
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Getting a 404 not found here, plus the link tries to go to 035d.zip.

http://jetbook.net/upgrade/JL04_v035d.zip

I've tried:
035d.zip
035d.exe
035g.zip
035g.exe

Greycap, perhaps you are using the Lite firmware? Presumably the JB firmware is the "official" ADE release.

EDIT: Very interesting. If I follow the link from here:

http://jetbook.net/update.php

It works. But not he link from:

http://jetbook.net/upgrade.php

Even though it appears they are going to the same place (035d link above).

Last edited by Kralik; 06-30-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I downloaded 35d and unpacked and doesn't appear to use Adobe Reader. At least gsl/apps/ebook/main.exe that contained the pointer to userStyle.css in 35a is no longer there. Someone care to load up 35d and let us know how it works on epubs?

Also the device.xml code that Adobe Digital Editions uses to recognize the device seems to be missing from gsl/apps/main/jl00main ... so not sure what is new in this firmware. Except for some operating system files, it looks from dates on files and directories that all the application files are older than 35a (in fact from 2009).

Last edited by tselling; 06-30-2010 at 10:22 PM.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Kralik
Guru

Tried it -- update failed with an error that it must be a version later than 0.35.
So 0.35a2 is still on there and working as before. Guess I can't go back to 0.33g though...
Old 07-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Is there a changelog for this update?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
Ectaco doesn't do Changelogs usually .
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
mipsmonsta
mipsmonsta began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook
Firmware 0.35e

As in my earlier post, couldn't upgrade to 0.35d. But checking the ftp repository of ectaco, they have 0.35e firmware along with 0.35a! Downloading the 0.35e firmware to see whether it solves the upgrading issue. Keep posted.

Update the link: ftp://custftp:FQSswyvGQ20So@ftp.ecta...L04-v0.35e.exe

Update 2: Manage to flash 0.35e successfully, but then when going into the book directory, the screen just cuts off. When plugged in power, it kept on showing the splash screen which then cuts off into oblivion...seems trapped in an endless restart loop. Not sure why, so beware. Now my jetbook is a brick till the next firmware release

Last edited by mipsmonsta; 07-01-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Update 2
mipsmonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Kralik
Guru

Yay for quality control! I wonder if the FTP releases should only be touched with a long stick... at least we know 0.35a is good. Unfortunately, I'm flashing 0.35e now, but I'll see if I can find a way out of the ensuing pickle.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Kralik
Guru

0.35e results:
-Contains a clear little copyright paragraph on the title page referencing Adobe.
-Firmware reported as v0.35e Patch v18
-All menu systems work for me, including Books. Seems fine.
-Does use ADE as 0.35a, but I can't seem to notice any differences.

mipsmonsta, why don't you try resetting your JB with the button on the back and then turning it on without the SD card? That's what I did anyway. Also you might try reflashing, perhaps down to 0.35a, since even when the jetBook gets messed up the lower-level firmware flash usually works. Take it from someone who has "AIEEEE! BRICKED!" his jetBook a few times.

EDIT: Back to 0.35a2 until I have a compelling reason to run 0.35e. Can't see any differences.

Last edited by Kralik; 07-01-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #12
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
0.35e results:
-Contains a clear little copyright paragraph on the title page referencing Adobe.
-Firmware reported as v0.35e Patch v18
-All menu systems work for me, including Books. Seems fine.
-Does use ADE as 0.35a, but I can't seem to notice any differences.

mipsmonsta, why don't you try resetting your JB with the button on the back and then turning it on without the SD card? That's what I did anyway. Also you might try reflashing, perhaps down to 0.35a, since even when the jetBook gets messed up the lower-level firmware flash usually works. Take it from someone who has "AIEEEE! BRICKED!" his jetBook a few times.

EDIT: Back to 0.35a2 until I have a compelling reason to run 0.35e. Can't see any differences.
I downloaded v0.35e version and realized that it works fine with B&N epub books! I had v035a before and this version didn't work with B&N books.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
So, now with the JB having B&N epub working (o.35e) maybe they will get it
working for the JBL?

What I wonder is if their only motivation is to meet B&N's requirements?

Will the JBL keep its eReader DRM, if it gets what the JB has now?

Will the JB also get the eReader DRM, as well as the ADE?

Why shouldn't they both have both DRM schemes?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #14
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
I've successfully upgraded from v33g to v35e.

How I got from v33g to v35e:
1) Upgraded from v33g to v35a, and
2) Upgraded from v35a to v35e

What didn't work:
1) Upgrading from v33g to v35e
2) Upgrading from v33g to v35d
3) Upgrading from v35a to v35d

Ectaco should remove v35d from their jetbook official site ASAP. It cannot be used without first upgrading the firmware to v35a.

I really don't know how they could get to be this careless.

Last edited by greenapple; 07-02-2010 at 07:15 PM.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:16 AM   #15
adreamer
adreamer began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2, Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
So, now with the JB having B&N epub working (o.35e) maybe they will get it
working for the JBL?

What I wonder is if their only motivation is to meet B&N's requirements?

Will the JBL keep its eReader DRM, if it gets what the JB has now?

Will the JB also get the eReader DRM, as well as the ADE?

Why shouldn't they both have both DRM schemes?

Luck;
Ken
I asked about this in jetBook forums and was informed of a 2-3 weeks(approx.) timeline for new jetBook Lite firmware.
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote