Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
olaf
Enthusiast
olaf is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle3
Changing Kindle metadata on Topaz books

I have 8 books in Topaz format, where the metadata is incorrect ("first name last name" instead of "last name, first name"). Before doing anything, these indexed fine on the Kindle and all my books were fully indexed. Using version 6.45, I was able to fix the metadata on these books, but after exporting the corrected books to my Kindle, none of them will index, and remain in the 'not yet indexed' list. I tried this several times, restarting the Kindle, deleting items and starting over - each time with the same result. Is there some problem with Topaz corrections that break the Kindle indexing logic?

Last edited by olaf; 03-22-2010 at 08:35 PM.
olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It's possible that editing the metadata impacts indexing, but if so, this would be the first report.

I believe that indexing takes place when the Kindle is off, and doesn't happen right away. How long are you waiting before searching?

How/where are you seeing a 'not yet indexed' list?

Are these DRM'd files?

G

Last edited by GRiker; 03-22-2010 at 08:47 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
olaf
Enthusiast

I have about 600 books on the Kindle and have re-indexed the entire list (which takes more than a day!) twice, each time leaving the same 8 books not indexed. Waited another two days, and they still were not indexed (one can go to the home page, enter something non-sensical like xyzwwwqqq and do a 'search my items'. It will either come up with a list of entries, or something like "8 items not yet indexed", which, if you click on it, will list the books in question).

I deleted the updated books, re-downloaded them from Amazon, and they indexed within an hour or so (did the same search and came up with no items in the non-indexed list). Copied those to Calibre, deleted them from the Kindle, re-fixed the metadata, and sent them back to the Kindle device - same result. After a day or so, those 8 were still not indexed. And yes, there are DRM'd. The names were corrected properly though - Calibre let me fix them to be in "Last name, First name" order on the Kindle, although they are not yet available for text searches because of the indexing issue.

Last edited by olaf; 03-23-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That is helpful information, and should be enough to go on to research the problem.

I've created a bug ticket. I'll try to take a look in the next couple of days.

G
Old 03-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
GRiker

Will be fixed in the next release.

G
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
olaf
Enthusiast

Wow - that was fast! You guys are amazing - thank you.