Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i wish there were an eink reader for under $200

when i bought my cybook, i thought i'd be carrying it with me everywhere i went. after i got it, i realized there was no really protective case for it and it was fragile - and i decided to leave it at home. after all, if it breaks, i won't be able to read the ebooks inside it till it returned.

i was reading the long Astak Mentor thread, and it seemed that a lot of people are looking for a $200 or less eink reader, and most of us would gladly forgo most features to have it, although i did notice a lot of people would like dictionary lookup. i'd forgo that, too, for a low enough priced reader so i wouldn't have to worry too much if it broke. don't need or want touchscreen, lighting, music. i just want it to have an eink screen and to read. oh, and a 5 inch screen would be fine, although smaller i find annoying.

i think i'd even do without the ability to read protected files for a reader that low in price, although i wouldn't on my main reader.

so what about you? if there were a reader for say $175 to $200, would you buy it and what features could you live without?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
For the price of 2 $200 ereaders (in case you accidentally break one) I can get a Kindle 2 with 2-year warranty that covers accidental breakage. (Okay, $424. Plus another $25 for a protective case that your cheap ereaders don't have.) So while I can believe the desire to have a $200 ereader, if your rational basis for that is primarily accidental breakage then I think you need to reconsider and get a Kindle 2.

I carry my Kindle 2 with me wherever I got.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #3
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah, but then you wait, readerless, till it is returned.

i have the books on board accidental damage plan but going weeks with only paper books to read seems disheartening. if i had a fitted hard case - not a leather cover - with protective foam, i might carry my cybook around. maybe. as it is, i'd rather have a "b" reader.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
I was worried about my Sony PRS-505, but I created a protective case from materials I had in my house and carry it everywhere. It still looks like it came out of the box. There are many threads in Mobileread that could help you contruct a case for your ereader so you can carry it around.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I've had a Cybook for well over a year (bought it in January 2008) and I carry it pretty much everywhere. I even took it to the baseball game last Tuesday. Not that I read it at the ballpark--I brought it so I could read it on the train to and from. I just have the regular padded case it came with--the older brown pleather one. It's been on three plane trips so far. It comes to work with me daily on a train commute, and attracts no undue share of attention I may add.

My point is, use and enjoy.

But I wouldn't mind a sub-$200 reader, either, preferably one with a 5" E Ink screen, to be even more portable. I don't think I really want to go any smaller, though. The Hanlin one that BeBook would most likely be using sounds really promising. Like I said, the Cybook attracts attention, and I have my ebook spiel down pat, but when people hear the price, 9 out of 10 recoil in horror. It will take a sub-$200 device (better yet, a $99 device) to really draw wide adoption, I think, like the original iPod Nano and Shuffle.

ETA and off-topic: toomanybooks, I want to snorgle your puppy's belly!!!! It's so cute!

Last edited by MaggieScratch; 04-24-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: can't. resist. cute. puppy.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
My Cybook is practically always in its cover, and I take it(them) in my handbag wherever I have to wait (public transport, for example).

BTW, it would be interesting to have a reader for less than $200, of course !
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
the Jetbook can be had for less than $200. it is also in the 5 inch, more pocketable, verity.
So can a used PRS 500, or a 505, or Kindle 1.

though unless you have a backpack or a Purse, which i carry have neither, the Kindle is too big to carry everywhere. the PRS series fits into my Breast Inside Pocket in Cold weather, and in my backpocket in warm (its impossible to forget its there, so no accidental sitting.) besides any time i would want to sit down is a reason to take it out and read anyway.

for On the Go reading, truely, of you dont want to carry your eink with you, get an IPOD touch used for about 150, Its worth it
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
for On the Go reading, truely, of you dont want to carry your eink with you, get an IPOD touch used for about 150, Its worth it
There truly is no comparison . The iPod Touch will not replace a Gen3 for reading. The iPod Touch will have it's battery die a lot quicker for one and the screen is bright and small. The iPod Touch lasts maybe 3 hours max with the screen on all the time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and using the cover that came with it, I do carry it around a lot in my bag that I also carry around. I have never had a problem or even a near problem and I've had my 505 since the first week of October 2007.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post

i have the books on board accidental damage plan but going weeks with only paper books to read seems disheartening. if i had a fitted hard case - not a leather cover - with protective foam, i might carry my cybook around. maybe. as it is, i'd rather have a "b" reader.
That's why it's good to have 2 readers. When I bought my Kindle1 10 months after I bought the Sony PRS-505, a lot of my friends were asking if I was going to sale my PRS-505. I have no intention of parting with my PRS-505. I've since sold my K1 to buy the K2; so now I have the K2 and PRS-505. I had to send the PRS-505 for warranty service 1 month after getting my 1st Kindle and it took 2 weeks from the time I mailed it, to get it back. I would not have survived if I did not have a second reader. I just used the Kindle exclusively until my PRS-505 came back.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:10 AM   #11
basschick
Wizard

you must be a much more careful or gentle person than i am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
My Cybook is practically always in its cover, and I take it(them) in my handbag wherever I have to wait (public transport, for example).

BTW, it would be interesting to have a reader for less than $200, of course !

alas, the jetbook is not eink, and i have eyestrain all the time from working on my computer. gotta have my eink screen, and no smaller than 5 inches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
the Jetbook can be had for less than $200. it is also in the 5 inch, more pocketable, verity.
So can a used PRS 500, or a 505, or Kindle 1.

though unless you have a backpack or a Purse, which i carry have neither, the Kindle is too big to carry everywhere. the PRS series fits into my Breast Inside Pocket in Cold weather, and in my backpocket in warm (its impossible to forget its there, so no accidental sitting.) besides any time i would want to sit down is a reason to take it out and read anyway.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
alas, the jetbook is not eink, and i have eyestrain all the time from working on my computer. gotta have my eink screen, and no smaller than 5 inches.
The jetBook screen is a 5" 640x480 LCD, but it does not have a backlight and 640x480 is 160 ppi just like a 6" Eink screen. The 5" Vizplex screens will be 800x600 (200 ppi) though.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I carry my 505 with me everywhere in its stock case.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 AM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
As stated, the LCD screen on a Jet book will Not hurt your eyes. No back Light
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:

In the case of the Kindle that wait would be about 24-36 hours since Amazon ships replacements overnight (they don't do repairs just replacements).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote