Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Unhappy Calibre Companion vs calibre2opds?

I have downloaded Calibre Companion to m Android device, but am struggling to see what it's advantages are over using calibre2opds? What am I missing, please?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I assume that you are a calibre2opds user, so I won't go into advantages it might have over CC. Calibre2opds is a good tool.

There is nothing like CC's "connect as wireless device" in calibre2opds. When connected as a device, you use calibre to directly modify the books on the device, adding and deleting. The metadata for the books is directly updated on the device. You control on an arbitrary book-by-book basis what books are sent to the device. CC shows full metadata for books including custom columns, not just the standard set. There is no "generate" step as is required for calibre2opds. CC handles all the data transfer between calibre and the device.

Both CC and calibre2opds support grouping of books by metadata. However, CC supports grouping by custom columns in addition to the standard fields. CC can sort within groups, which I don't think calibre2opds can do. CC supports dynamic filtering, for example showing only books with a certain tag or not in some series.

CC supports connecting directly to calibre's content server, giving you an up-to-date view of what is in your library without the generation step. Metadata for books downloaded using the content server are updated when connecting as a wireless device, again without any generation step.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Thank you, Chaley - I obviously need to experiment a bit. One advantage I can see from what you say is that books will be visible through CC as soon as they are added to Calibre. I have been doing battle (unsuccessfully despite Erschatz' help) with trying to automate the updating of calibre2opds.

Will CC work if I am not running the content server?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Will CC work if I am not running the content server?
Yes, the "connect as wireless device" connection type does not use the content server. We have many users that connect only this way.

Connecting using the content server can be quite convenient for quick operations like fetching a book or two. On the other hand, it does require that the server be running all of the time, something that many people are not prepared to do.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote