Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-11-2008, 03:39 AM   #211
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I don't see how it could be considered an effective DRM technique. Compression is also highly unlikely to be covered by patents[...]
Eh? Says who? There was a big noise a couple of years ago when some firm which had acquired the patent for the LZW(?) compression used in GIF image files started successfully enforcing said patent. If nothing else, it gave the hitherto lingering PNG format a nice boost.

Legally speaking, the Mobipocket compression scheme is probably not part of their DRM, so you likely don't have to fear the DMCA, but it may very well be covered by a patent. This patent in all likelihood would also cover a decompression routine for the compressed data.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:30 AM   #212
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I do wish these guys would start creating executables. Having to install Python, Perl, NameYourStupidScriptingLanguage, etc., then having to attempt to figure out their poorly documented command line sytax is too complicated and time consuming for most people. And in the end, it always seems that the caveats make the whole process a huge waste of time!
Don't you think that you're perhaps being a little unreasonable in your complaints? The people who write these tools are putting in a huge amount of time and effort, and releasing them free of charge. We should be thanking them for their hard work, not complaining. That's my view, anyway!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #213
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
There is little you can do about these kind of complaints Harry. You'll always have people which are unwilling to put some of their own efforts into these tools to get it adapted or working for their situation. No matter if it is reading up to see if the tool does what they want, install a few support libraries or anything between those.

Sad fact of any developer, no matter on what program they're working.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #214
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
Eh? Says who? There was a big noise a couple of years ago when some firm which had acquired the patent for the LZW(?) compression used in GIF image files started successfully enforcing said patent. If nothing else, it gave the hitherto lingering PNG format a nice boost.
That was Unisys.

Lev and Zemple defined the original algorithm. Terry Welch described a simplified version that was easier to implement, becoming the W in LZW. At the time he wrote the paper describing the LZW algorithm, Terry worked for Sperry, now a unit of Unisys, and his contract gave his employer rights to his creations.

Unisys belatedly woke up, realized they had intellectual property rights to LZW compression, and started asking for money from sites with GIF images that used LZW compression.

As mentioned, it resulted in the PNG format, and it's a moot point now -- as far as I know, Unisys's rights have expired.

I wonder how much money they actually got from trying to enforce rights on LZW? I suspect not as much as they spent in legal fees doing it.

Quote:
Legally speaking, the Mobipocket compression scheme is probably not part of their DRM, so you likely don't have to fear the DMCA, but it may very well be covered by a patent. This patent in all likelihood would also cover a decompression routine for the compressed data.
If it is covered by patent, that will be discoverable. I doubt it, though. I suspect this is "trade secret" -- they just don't tell anyone what they did and how they did it.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #215
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's huffman encoding, it's certainly not patented - that algorithm is in the public domain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #216
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
As mentioned, it resulted in the PNG format, and it's a moot point now -- as far as I know, Unisys's rights have expired.
Yup, since 2003 in the US and since 2004 in most of the rest of the world.

Quote:
If it is covered by patent, that will be discoverable. I doubt it, though. I suspect this is "trade secret" -- they just don't tell anyone what they did and how they did it.
The latter would be ideal for someone trying to reverse-engineer the algorithm, say, through chosen plain-text attacks or something similar. And yes, if there is a patent, it should theoretically be discoverable.

Also, Harry, it may be Huffman, but their claims lead me to believe that they made changes to the compression algorithm so they can start decompressing anywhere they need so they can start presenting page 500 in a book without having to decode all previous pages. Those changes may very well be patented.

Last edited by Gudy; 02-11-2008 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #217
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Also, Harry, it may be Huffman, but their claims lead me to believe that they made changes to the compression algorithm so they can start decompressing anywhere they need so they can start presenting page 500 in a book without having to decode all previous pages. Those changes may very well be patented.
Correct. They've stated that they couldn't simply use something like the Zip "Deflate" algorithm because they wanted to be able to start decompressing at any specified point in the file (like the dictionary definition for a particular word), and Zip always started at the beginning.

I think it would be a smart move for them to make the Creator and Reader programs open source efforts, but that proprietary compression algorithm might be an issue in doing so. It seems like something they wouldn't want to release.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #218
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ok, I installed it all and get all kinds of errors running MAKE. What do I do now?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #219
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
tompe:

I finished adding the ability to directly convert to .IMP formats from the .html converted by your 'mobi2html' perl script. I used your 'mobi2html' as a base (version 0.0.28) and created a new perl script named 'mobi2imp.pl'.

Therein, I indicate what changes were made so that you (or I ) can update this module in future releases.

The 'mobi2imp.pl' is attached below and I also provide two sample conversions in the below .zip file for anyone who wants to test it out.

Feel free to include and/or modify this within your Mobiperl package!

You directly may not benefit (or even be able to convert to .IMP if not using Windows and the eBook Publisher software), but I believe this will allow those with many mobipocket .prc files to migrate to their ebookwise 1150 easily.

Is this OK with you?

EDIT 12 Feb 2008: version 2 - now 'Category Author Title' are optional and don't need to be provided. See mobi2IMP.bat and .zip file for details.

Regards,
-Nick
Attached Files
File Type: pl mobi2imp.pl (14.9 KB, 671 views)
File Type: bat mobi2IMP.bat (832 Bytes, 572 views)
File Type: zip mobi2imp_sample_conversion.zip (4.32 MB, 578 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-12-2008 at 04:46 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #220
Gudy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Ok, I installed it all and get all kinds of errors running MAKE. What do I do now?
I assume you have installed ActiveState's Perl and all the modules listed on the Mobiperl site. (You can install PAR-Packer-588 from the Perl Package Manager as well.), and also nmake from the MS KnowledgeBase article. (Copy NMAKE.ERR and NMAKE.EXE to C:\Perl\bin)

I also assume that you have extracted mobipocket-0.0.28.tar somewhere.

Go there and open the Makefile in your editor of choice. Use an editor that doesn't do anything to the file you don't tell it to do (like, say, converting tabs to spaces or "fixing" line lengths).

Delete all lines that start with "copy" and end with "c:\Perlb820\bin\"

Open a command prompt to that directory and type "nmake all"

Rejoice.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #221
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Correct. They've stated that they couldn't simply use something like the Zip "Deflate" algorithm because they wanted to be able to start decompressing at any specified point in the file (like the dictionary definition for a particular word), and Zip always started at the beginning.
What they did was just compress source HTML in chunks so that each chunk after compression fits inside a PDB record. They also added an index for mapping an uncompressed text position to record number so that only necessary records need to be decompressed. None of this actually requires Huffman, it can be done with deflate or lzw or lzma or whatnot.

Last edited by igorsk; 02-11-2008 at 03:16 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #222
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I assume you have installed ActiveState's Perl and all the modules listed on the Mobiperl site. (You can install PAR-Packer-588 from the Perl Package Manager as well.), and also nmake from the MS KnowledgeBase article. (Copy NMAKE.ERR and NMAKE.EXE to C:\Perl\bin)

I also assume that you have extracted mobipocket-0.0.28.tar somewhere.

Go there and open the Makefile in your editor of choice. Use an editor that doesn't do anything to the file you don't tell it to do (like, say, converting tabs to spaces or "fixing" line lengths).

Delete all lines that start with "copy" and end with "c:\Perlb820\bin\"

Open a command prompt to that directory and type "nmake all"

Rejoice.
What I get now is an unknown command "pp".

I did install everything according to the directions. But pp is not found.
What is pp and where do I get it?
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #223
Gudy
Wizard

pp is part of the Par-Packer-588 package, so it looks like this one didn't install right.

Start the Perl Package Manager.
Check that http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/package.lst has been added under Edit -> Preferences -> Repositories
There should be two entries under that tab. That one and the default entry from ActiveState.

Now, check that View -> All Packages is active, then type "PAR-Packer" without the quotes in the search box.

You should see two entries. PAR-Packer (0.976) and PAR-Packer-588 (0.973). The latter, and only the latter, should be installed in the "site" area. If not, right click that entry and install it.

(ETA: One thing that may not be readily apparent: Going right click -> Install on an entry does not actually install the package, but merely queues it for installation. You need to click the green right arrow button (center button on the right side of the search field) to actually execute all queued actions.)

Then try again.

Last edited by Gudy; 02-11-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #224
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Now I get the following error...

Can't locate IO/Compress/Gzip.pm in @INC (@INC contains: C:/perl/site/lib C:/perl/lib .) at C:/perl/site/lib/Compress/Zlib.pm line 13.

Where do I get this?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:38 PM   #225
Gudy
Wizard

Buh? I believe that something about your Perl install is well and truly b0rked.

I certainly don't have Zlib.pm at that location...

Since I have no clue what's happening here, I declare myself at the end of my wits. Until someone comes along who knows more, try the attached mobiperl build. *crosses fingers*
Attached Files
File Type: zip mobiperl-0.0.28-win.zip (7.87 MB, 397 views)

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils