Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
kindle 3 vs nook simple touch

Here is a video comparing the kindle 3 to the nook simple touch

One thing that is wrong in the video is the part about the nook and web browsing. The nook does have a web browser.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138363

On highlighting and notes, the kindle saves all notes in highlights in a myclippings text file which can be sideloaded onto a computer. The notes and highlights for the simple nook touch cannot be exported.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 06-09-2011 at 04:04 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Notes from the Kindle can also be accessed via a website.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Here is the link to the website that gives the complete rundown between the nook simple touch and the kindle 3.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook...vs-kindle.html

An advantage not listed is that the kindle allows you to search for words or phrases within a book or among all the books on the device. You can also type in a word and easily look it up on wikipedia. Also, no fingerprints on the screen with k3.

Last edited by spellbanisher; 06-09-2011 at 04:15 PM.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
you can't view your bookcover's in your library on the Kindle? That's rather lame.

navigating around the device the kindle looks really really dated.

I can't imagine anyone under the age of 40 who is just basically reads and doesn't need to export notes or read technical PDF's (and any 6 inch eink screen is bad at it) would choose a kindle over a touch screen in this day and age of Droids, iPhones and tablets.

Last edited by boswd; 06-09-2011 at 04:29 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
from that video the kindle looks to have darker print
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
That was a pretty good comparison. Thanks for sharing, spellbanisher.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
you can't view your bookcover's in your library on the Kindle? That's rather lame.

I can't imagine anyone under the age of 40 who is just basically reads and doesn't need to export notes or read technical PDF's (and any 6 inch eink screen is bad at it) would choose a kindle over a touch screen in this day and age of Droids, iPhones and tablets.
I have a few months to go before I am 40 and I would still choose my Kindle over a Nook Touch.

I don't care about seeing the covers, I can when I open the book or click on it if I want. I don't like touch screens. The Kindle is easy to use, easy to shop on, and does everything I want.

You will note that most folks stopped with the silly "That is lame" stuff a while back. It does make the discussion so much more civilized. Just because you think seeing the cover or navigating with the touch screen is important doesn't mean the rest of the world does.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:

A 6" eink reader is basically worthless for technical pdfs if you ask me. An android tablet or ipad is the best way for pdfs imo. An eink reader is simply for enjoyment of books along with an occasional annotation.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Ditchleyportrait
Fanatic
Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ditchleyportrait ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
you can by moving the 5 way controller to the right when highlighting a book title

Last edited by Ditchleyportrait; 06-09-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Ditchleyportrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:

I was a little disappointed when I discovered it didn't show the covers in the list. Not a big deal, but it would be kinda neat. I'm under 40, and reading is still a low-tech activity for me. 95% of my navigation involves the forward pageturn. I pick a book from the menu, and my thumb parks atop one button for an hour. I can see how the touchscreen would be nice for people who do a lot of highlighting.

I also don't care about text-to-speech, MP3 playback, etc. The review guy pointed out the K3 having "a lot more features," but they weren't really any features I would miss. One thing confuses me: if it doesn't have MP3 playback, what's the point of the Nook's SD card slot? An extra 25,000 books?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

So you can root it.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
ohhhhh.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbanisher View Post
Here is the link to the website that gives the complete rundown between the nook simple touch and the kindle 3.

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/nook...vs-kindle.html

An advantage not listed is that the kindle allows you to search for words or phrases within a book or among all the books on the device. You can also type in a word and easily look it up on wikipedia. Also, no fingerprints on the screen with k3.
This as been mentioned numerous times on MR but I will mention it one more time. The new Nook along with the Sony X50 models and I assume the new Kobo really do not show fingerprints. I usually clean the screen one a week. Now with my iPad I have to clean the screen every few hours.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Kindle is a nice device but is dated compared to the Nook. I'm sure Amazon will produce a very nice touch screen in the near future and I expect it will be sexy.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The Kindle is a nice device but is dated compared to the Nook. I'm sure Amazon will produce a very nice touch screen in the near future and I expect it will be sexy.
No epub support will be a deal-breaker for me, regardless.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote