Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
Apikoros18
Apikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enoughApikoros18 will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color
So, give me some ideas (and congratulate me on my first post)

So, my wife got me the Nook Color for Chanukah. (Yeah, she's a cool kitty). I have downloaded tons of books, played a number of games of Crossword, played some Pandora and put a picture of my Kid as the screen. Now don't get me wrong, I want this for reading books. I hate carrying big Hard Covers on the NYC Subway and I hate holding them in bed or on the couch.... But what else can I do? Have people put movies on there? What's this "Jail Breaking" thing and can someone who talks tech but can't really do tech (I am a head hunter for techies) do it easily? What am I missing thats... cool. I don't want to be my Dad trying to program his VCR circa 1989... Thanks!
Apikoros18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apikoros18 View Post
... What's this "Jail Breaking" thing and can someone who talks tech but can't really do tech (I am a head hunter for techies) do it easily?...
Welcome!

Love the candor. You'll get responses soon.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
you can play .m4v videos. I just took all of my music videos from itunes and dragged them over to the nook color and they work. For the jailbreaking thing is called rooting on the nook. I am going to wait to root mine until the new update comes out to see if it is android 2.2 with some kind of market place. I don't remember when the update is supposed to come out.I just figured out that I can go to smashwords.com and download a book from the nook color and it works great. I got a bunch of free books that way. I got lazy of sideloading for a while lol.Hope your wife like the nook color
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
But what else can I do?
Welcome to the group

The Nook Color is tablet similar to the iPad and Galaxy Tab; only much cheaper. I bought one to replace my netbook for trips and vacations. It has a full web browser, so you can access the internet. It's my favorite feature. I also love watching videos on it and plan to use it for magazine and newspaper subscriptions.

What I won't use it for is reading novels. The brightness level won't go low enough for my comfort level; but for short attention span reading, it's great.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Welcome and congratulations on your new nook color, it's is a great device.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
it's always dark here and my eyesight is getting bad. The nook color helps with the eye strain in the darkness. It get's dark around 4pm and lights up around 10 am lol
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzasuro View Post
it's always dark here and my eyesight is getting bad. The nook color helps with the eye strain in the darkness. It get's dark around 4pm and lights up around 10 am lol
I know what you are saying, it's pitch black by 4:30 here and I have to wait for a bus at the train station to take me home. Nook color comes to the rescue
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Apikoros18
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Welcome. You might see me holding my NC on the 4/5/C train as well
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
What am I missing thats... cool. I don't want to be my Dad trying to program his VCR circa 1989... Thanks!

Just being here, and being a reader makes you cool!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Have people put movies on there?
Yes, check out the thread on this board for conversion advice (if you are into converting your own DVDs). The key advice is that it supports H.264 (Baseline Profile only) and MPEG-4, but it does not support DivX or XviD.

Quote:
What's this "Jail Breaking" thing
It allows you to install Android applications: video games, alternative reader software, email clients, note-taking applications.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote