Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Mobi converter - Calibre redux?

Hi there,

I have become, unfortunately, my institution's "official ebook converter" to the mobi format for people's kindles. Now, what I do is add other people's rubbish to my collection, convert, show in folder, email back, remove from my library. The process is a bit of a pain for just converting...
Is there a redux version of Calibre that does conversion only with no library functions, or am I missing a simple "convert without adding to library" option somewhere?

Thanks!

g.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
The ebook-convert command from the command line. Go into the preferences -> miscellaneous and install the command line tools. Then you can convert a book from anywhere in the filesystem, no library required.

There are a lot of options that the GUI automatically sets for you, so you may want to review the arguments that you frequently use from the GUI - you can see this in the job logs, and then add those as arguments while working from the command line.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
not that I know of.
Best practice is just say no to people who send you rubbish.
Second best practice might be to just use another library for the rubbish conversions which is very easy. Then you can just purge the entire library periodically
Hopefully you are paid extra for this service
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #4
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thanks for your replies.
No extra payment. I one thought about getting the "I WILL NOT FIX YOUR COMPUTER" t-shirt. I guess the ''I WILL NOT CONVERT YOUR FILES TO MOBI" will have to be custom made
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Old white t-shirt and a sharpy should get the idea across
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiyoforward View Post
Hi there,

I have become, unfortunately, my institution's "official ebook converter" to the mobi format for people's kindles. Now, what I do is add other people's rubbish to my collection, convert, show in folder, email back, remove from my library. The process is a bit of a pain for just converting...
Is there a redux version of Calibre that does conversion only with no library functions, or am I missing a simple "convert without adding to library" option somewhere?

Thanks!

g.
there is a simple alternative to calibre if all you need are mobi conversions - just google auto kindle.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote