Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysnapper22 View Post
Questions

1) With the screen lighting turned OFF is there any difference in the clarity or general readability of the Kindles we currently have and the PW?
The Paperwhite text is sharper. This isn't a huge difference when you first look at it although it's easy enough to see. It does make it a bit more readable, though.

The biggest difference is that the screen's background is much whiter, thanks to the light. The purpose of the light, as I see it, isn't so much as to replace room light, although it can do that, but to increase contrast and readability. They really got this right. It's a lot more readable.

Quote:
Questions2) One of the reasons I like our current basic Kindle's is that it does have the page turn buttons . I have a thing about dirty screens and the buttons avoid the need to touch the screen at all thereby reducing the need to clean the screen. So how quickly does the screen get dirty from page turn touches and general use? Do you find this a problem?
I miss the page turn buttons but that's not a big thing. I also have the previous model of the Basic Kindle and I like having those buttons. I find turning pages by swiping a bit more awkward and a little less reliable. But that's okay. The advantages are so numerous I won't go back. I use my Basic Kindle for loaning books to friends. I use my Paperwhite for reading.

By the way, the big advantage of the touch screen is that you can just touch a word to look it up in the dictionary. No typing is needed. I find myself using the dictionary a lot more now because it's just so simple and fast. Also if I'm in a book and a character is mentioned that hasn't been there for a while and I need a reminder of who that is, I touch the name and search for it and see other instances of that name being used. I hit Back and I'm back in my book.

What would be nice is to have the touch screen and the page turn buttons like on the Nook e-ink reader. But this thing is so nice I'm sure not complaining.

Quote:
Questions3) One last query, based on past product release frequency any thoughts on the probability of a Paperwhite II hitting the market any time soon?
I have no idea if or when there'll be a Paperwhite 2 but I find it hard to care. I began with the Kindle Keyboard and I've bought every Kindle since but I'm not sure I get the next one. The Paperwhite is what I've been hoping for. I hope they don't make too many changes.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I find turning pages by swiping a bit more awkward and a little less reliable.
Were you aware that you can turn by tapping? I also find the swipe to be awkward, but the tap is very similar to a button.

Quote:
Also if I'm in a book and a character is mentioned that hasn't been there for a while and I need a reminder of who that is, I touch the name and search for it and see other instances of that name being used. I hit Back and I'm back in my book.
Not all books have the data, but have you tried X-Ray for that purpose? I find it to be very helpful...
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Were you aware that you can turn by tapping? I also find the swipe to be awkward, but the tap is very similar to a button.
I did tap to turn pages for a long time because it was simpler, but I also found it to be less reliable. It would jump a few pages when I tapped maybe 1 time out of 10, and I'd have to find my place. Not a big deal but it was a minor irritation.

I found by swiping instead of tapping it almost never does that. So I swipe.

Quote:
Not all books have the data, but have you tried X-Ray for that purpose? I find it to be very helpful...
I tend to read a lot of older books and not many of those have the Xray feature enabled but on the few that have, I've liked it a lot.

I noticed a thread here about a script that makes Xray files. I'm in the second half of my current book, which doesn't have Xray, and the book I'm expecting to read next does have it so I haven't looked into that yet, but I probably will.

In the meantime, the easy searching by touching is almost as good. It gives me what I want although sometimes I have to look around a bit for it.

Barry
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I noticed a thread here about a script that makes Xray files. I'm in the second half of my current book, which doesn't have Xray, and the book I'm expecting to read next does have it so I haven't looked into that yet, but I probably will.

In the meantime, the easy searching by touching is almost as good. It gives me what I want although sometimes I have to look around a bit for it.

Barry

I like X-Ray too... in fact, here's an excerpt from an e-mail that I sent to kindle-feedback@amazon.com almost a year before the feature was announced:

Quote:
More than once while reading a book I've found myself wishing for a "book specific dictionary".

For example: When reading a multi-book science fiction series there is often a long period of time between books and I find myself forgetting what place names or characters are in reference to. It'd be nice if the ebook could include its own supplemental dictionary that is also searched when I move the cursor over a word that could help refresh my memory.

Obviously this dictionary would have to be provided by the author/editor/publisher, but in order to do so the ebook file format and the device would have to support the feature.

This seems like it could be a differentiating feature that makes the Kindle even more appealing than it already is.
Sound familiar?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
In my opinion, the first question is sort of a logical error. It assumes you would ever want to turn off the PW light. Battery life is still a week or two of serious reading and the glow is much less disturbing to others than any book light. I can't see wanting to turn off the light. I adjust it up or down in a fairly narrow range depending on ambient light, keeping it barely noticeable as being lit (yet keeping the text sharp).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
I like X-Ray too... in fact, here's an excerpt from an e-mail that I sent to kindle-feedback@amazon.com almost a year before the feature was announced:

Sound familiar?
That would be useful for all sorts of books, not just sci fi. I am bad with names and would really love something like that.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #22
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
That would be useful for all sorts of books, not just sci fi. I am bad with names and would really love something like that.
I used sci-fi as an example (as it was my motivating use-case), but my point was that the suggestion basically is an exact subset of what x-ray actually turned out to be... they provide a file along with the book that tells where each character shows up, who the people on the current page/chapter/book are, definitions for book specific terms that show up on the current page/chapter/book, etc...

If that's a feature that you want, you might want to look at the Kindle readers.

Here's an excerpt from my current book:

Under Terms, current page:

Danube: The Danube is a river in Central Europe, the continent's second longest after the Volga....[snip]

For the whole book there are 19 terms defined and 43 characters...

Not every book has it, but a good number do and it's very useful.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
twowheels
Wizard

Note: Not claiming that they stole my idea, just that I asked for that exact feature and was happy to see it implemented. It turns out that they'd already applied for a patent before I even sent my e-mail, so they'd already had the idea.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I agree with those above who have found the PW to be a big improvement. I have had a Keyboard and a Touch, and sold them both.
Two other items: The PW has a magnetic switch that will turn off the PW if a cover so designed for it is used (or add your own magnet to a cover, as I did). I find this handy.
Secondly, the PW estimates for you the time remaining to read to the end of the current chapter (or book, if you touch the message), which I find elegant, fairly accurate and very helpful.
Try a PW - with Amazon, I believe, you can return it if you don't like it (at least 30 days, maybe longer). With Craig's List, you can reduce the net cost of the PW to just a few dollars.
Highly recommended.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
indiaink
sic vita est
indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.indiaink knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KK, PW
happysnapper22 wrote:

Hi folks

Both Wife and I have Kindle readers, the basic reader with the page turn buttons (not a Touch) its around a year old so not the current £69 version but the one previous to that.

Questions

1) With the screen lighting turned OFF is there any difference in the clarity or general readability of the Kindles we currently have and the PW?
Yes, the PW is easier to read by far. The text is sharp and black, the background white. I've had the Kindle Keyboard and thought I was happy with it until I chanced upon a demo of the PW in my local office supply store. I was hooked.

2) One of the reasons I like our current basic Kindle's is that it does have the page turn buttons . I have a thing about dirty screens and the buttons avoid the need to touch the screen at all thereby reducing the need to clean the screen. So how quickly does the screen get dirty from page turn touches and general use? Do you find this a problem?
I've had my PW for a while now, and the only thing on my screen occasionally is sometimes a bit of food (I eat and read). This was a problem with my KK, too. I can tap with my fingernail to 'turn the page'. Haven't ever gotten finger smudges. The PW screen is impressive, hands-down. Before I purchased the PW, I read reviews here and thought for sure I'd hate the lack of physical page turn buttons, but I haven't missed them at all. The PW's 'touch' feature is so easy and intuitive I really don't think you'll miss a physical button. I highly recommend 'testing' one in person, you'll see what I mean and be hooked...

3) One last query, based on past product release frequency any thoughts on the probability of a Paperwhite II hitting the market any time soon?
I do not know, and don't care. I'm not one to get the "latest and greatest" just because. I tend to stick with a device for a long time.
indiaink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I dithered for months before I finally stopped using my Kindle Touch and now use my Paperwhite exclusively. There were a number of reasons for that, none of which had much to do with the screen. For me the Paperwhite screen is better in some ways but worse in others. The built in light is convenient but I don't think the contrast is as good. So it has always been a tradeoff.

However I think PW is more scratch resistant, and I don't feel a need to get a cover for it. With Kindle Touch (and basic Kindle) I would be much more concerned about screen damage and would not use one without a cover. That gives weight advantage to PW.

I never considered getting the basic Kindle as text entry is horrible, it lacks reading features I use and appreciate, I lookup words and phrases constantly and it is much easier with a touch screen.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I bought a paperwhite yesterday, and i'm very surprised by the degree of improvement over the touch. They've been available in Canada for a few months, but I held off, as it seemed wise to wait until the next version comes out. However, after seeing a friend's PW at work, I decided to jump now.

The difference in readability is remarkable. I have amazon's lighted cover for the touch, and kept the light on most of the time, even in bright rooms. The PW's coverage of the whole screen, and the glowing white page are a big step up. I loved the Touch, and had no complaints, but I'm really pleased with the switch.

Just a quick comment on the page turning buttons / swipe / tap issue. A light tap is all that is needed. Mistakes used to creep in, in earlier versions of the touch screen, where you might jump ahead many pages by mistake. Since that caused problems for people, i think that feature was removed. In any case, it hasn't to me for almost a year, and I don't even notice having to tap - the gesture is as automatic as the turn button used to be on the KK.......I think your wife would be thrilled with the upgrade.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
happysnapper22
Connoisseur
happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happysnapper22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Thanks Folks

Hi Folks, just wanted to drop by to say thanks and give an update.

On the basis of comment here I got the better half a Paperwhite and she's delighted. On the strength of this I've just picked one up myself (on charge now pending first use) and we've sold our old Kindles to friends at work so in the end the upgrade cost made it an easy decision.

Thanks for the comment/opinion and suggestion.
happysnapper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I read this thread as I need to replace a broken K3. I was debating between a Kindle and the PW. Sounds like the PW carries the day. Amazon is offering me a refurb PW for a decent price and it includes a 1 year warranty, just like a new one. That may be too good to pass up.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #30
barryem
Wizard

I recommend the Paperwhite. I have a Basic Kindle and a Paperwhite and the difference is huge. I was just showing that to someone who's trying to decide what to get today. I sat down in my usual reading char with the Basic and to read comfortably I needed to brighten up the light a bit. I used to have a lamp there but I moved it after I got the Paperwhite. It was no longer needed. This pointed out the difference pretty dramatically.

I also read on the front porch, often in direct sunlight, where the screens seem identical. There the Basic wins because it's lighter to hold up. But as soon as I go inside the Paperwhite screen is as good as it was in the sun.

Barry