Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #16
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
If you want do academic reading none of e-ink devices are valid. You need an iPad in first place or other 9,7 Android tablet.

And only one handicap: backlight.
And that's it! One desires non-backlit. ;-)

Your right that there is not any a-ink reader fully suitable for academic reading. M92 is to my opinion closest to the more or less distant goal.

I do not understand Onyx or PowerBook managers to oversee the potential of this user segment... Maybe it is not so financialy interesting as it seems to us.

I do not think, M92 is slow or its hardware is not suitable for academic reading & annotating. The problem is mainly user interface which slows down the workflow and bugs in it (it is in every nontrivial SW.).

If Onyx successfully ports android and it will run satisfactory, then the problem might be solved. If necesary android applications will run smoothly on b&w e-ink.

I agree in another point. If one needs to work with more documents, paper seems to be better. I think about buying 2nd M92 or tablet and use it as 2 sheets of paper. Two devices in one common cover.

Multitasking which will work in android (if really ported in future) or in current M92 system (one day) would be improvement...

But more sheets is more sheets. Sometimes I need several square meters of floor layered by papers to see all I need at once....
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #17
Knorke
Enthusiast
Knorke is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenderland View Post
... Soon it will be half a year and still the software is still unuseable with PDFs for academic reading for me.
I don't want new promises, i want the old promises fullfilled.
I quite agree in this point. Onyx seems to be is very close to an usable software. If I could choose between android and a stable (and updated) firmware the decision would'nt be android.
Knorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorke View Post
I quite agree in this point. Onyx seems to be is very close to an usable software. If I could choose between android and a stable (and updated) firmware the decision would'nt be android.
I concur. No bells and whistles needed, JUST FIX DARN BUGS ONYX!
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I hope you realize that once Android is ported to this thing for 5-10$ you can get one of the best PDF readers (ezPDF) and the major bugs in that one have been eliminated .

Considering Onyx history with bugs the probability to port Android correctly is better than the probability to eliminate the bugs from the existing OS :-)
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
janek
Groupie
janek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenjanek has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Boox m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I hope you realize that once Android is ported to this thing for 5-10$ you can get one of the best PDF readers (ezPDF) and the major bugs in that one have been eliminated .

Considering Onyx history with bugs the probability to port Android correctly is better than the probability to eliminate the bugs from the existing OS :-)
I sincerely doubt it. Strangely, on just the same grounds.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by janek View Post
I sincerely doubt it. Strangely, on just the same grounds.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #22
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
Android as an alternative

I do not see any harm in having Android as an alterntive OS on the M92. Of course, it would be great if they got the port working flawlessly (which might be asking too much judging by the flaws of the current OS). But even if we get two semi-functional operating systems, I still see an advantage in Android. Developing apps would probably be easier, but my main interest would be something else entirely: Even the current amount of apps available for Android beats the number of apps on our current OS anytime.

So in essence, I do not see any harm in the Android port.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #23
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
I got first picture of working Android on Onyx Boox i62.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i62%20Android%20OS.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	92900  
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #24
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
This is amazing! Looks like they are really working on it, since it's far from being stock Android launcher. Thank you very much for this update, I'd love to hear more like this.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #25
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Does Android make any difference to battery life?
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #26
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: M92
That's great!
When can it be expected for M92?
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I got first picture of working Android on Onyx Boox i62.
Great but thats Android 2.2 (bad) not Android 4.0/4.1 (good). Could you confirm if that's the final target?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #28
Buecherwurm92
Buecherwurm92 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
For everything I'd want to do with an e-book reader, Android 2.2 is more than good enough. I care more about the quality of the port (battery life etc.) than about the version number.
Buecherwurm92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #29
myself11
Enthusiast
myself11 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST + Kindle PW2
Froyo/Gingerbread will be less demanding than ICS and what we want is a stable system that doesn't lag or consume too much battery. I had a Nook Touch rooted but I sold it, because I wanted Nook to do more than it could do, to be more agile, to be a tablet that didn't strain my eyes. E-ink at the moment can't do that. What I now believe is important is an Android build that allows us to install epub or pdf reading apps without issues. For browsing or writing, a tablet will always be a better option.

As Kobo and Kindle are closed plataforms and it seems Nook won't upgrade its models this year, I'm looking forward to the release of i62HD Firefly. If it comes with Android, I will without a doubt buy it.
myself11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pata View Post
Great but thats Android 2.2 (bad) not Android 4.0/4.1 (good). Could you confirm if that's the final target?
In an interview about 2 years ago the CEO of Onyx explained why they did not do Android at that time: they thought Android was not good enough yet as a basis for e-readers. The fact that they started working on Android now told me that by now they think Android is good enough. It would be very strange, therefore, if they implement an outdated version. But then, you know never know with Onyx. It would not be their first incomprehensible policy change.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote