Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
Franky
Nameless Being

new apps

i try to get pingchat 0.95 for Android on my eDGe, but every website i try I get an error 404 or an authorization problem. in the meantime i became member of site i can't even remember where they are.

i've got a couple of apps lined up at appbrain, but also here i've got a problem.Appbrain want to have a phone-number, but my eDGe doesn't call.

bottom-line; i still look for some help. can somebody explain me what i do wrong here and how i can fix this in order to download more apps?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #2
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Unless someone can indicate otherwise, it seems AppBrain won't work with the eDGe.

On www.appbrain.com, at the top right, is a Welcome message with a link to the "AppBrain app". When I click it, I get a page with no download link, only a "Download directly from the Android Market". Android Market links start with "market://", which won't work on the eDGe.

That same page says "Browse the app market on www.appbrain.com from a *desktop* computer and use this app to install and uninstall apps with a sync". Note the requirement for a desktop PC. As far as I know, the eDGe doesn't have a sync-to-desktop facility, even if you're using a USB cable, or over wifi.

Similarly, when I investigated the "Fast Web Install" option, it says "Download Fast Web Install from the Android Market", which again you cannot do with the eDGe.

Individual app pages also don't have a download link (ultimately, you want an http:// link that ends with ".apk").

So, even though AppBrain is a third party market, it ultimately is still tied to the Android Market.

This leaves you two options: Google for things like "Pingchat APK" and take your chances, or download the apps to an Android phone and then copy the APK to your eDGe and install.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert