Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #31
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Just a little update.....I have to say after a day with this device.....reading about an hour last night, and playing around with it in the minutes of free time I can, I am excited about it. This device has so many great features between the annotations, dictionary, and the Touch Screen, so far it's the best of the bunch that I have had.

It's amazingly fast, page turns are immediate, and to answer Jaytrade's question this device turns PDF pages just as fast as any other file type.

Having owned all of Sony's previous devices, I would rate this screen between the PRS-500 and the PRS-505. Great clarity, IMHO it is everything the PRS-700 was supposed to be.

Ill continue to update this has been a hellishly busy week for some reason, I am definitely looking forward to more time with it. Heh heh that's probably why I opened it in the car....the few minutes of quiet time I have had

Thanks again for the nice words, it was a pleasure taking the photos while opening it, liked the thought of you guys kind of opening it with me.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #32
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for the update and I'll look forward to hearing more once you play with it a little longer. If you get the chance, can also describe how clear/reflective it is under different lighting conditions. I guess what I'm getting at is, in your opinion, do you get a better reading experience on the 600 in dim or well lighted conditions?
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
MerLock: Well lit is better.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileTechReview View Post
MerLock: Well lit is better.
Well lit is DEFINITELY better, my impression as far as the reflection is not that bad that it would hurt your reading experience so far.....
Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #35
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow thanks for the quick replies. So does the 505/300 handle better in dimmer conditions since they have better contrast? I mainly do my reading at night in low light conditions but love the features provided on the 600 but will prob. go with the other ones if they are better for night reading.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #36
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Wow thanks for the quick replies. So does the 505/300 handle better in dimmer conditions since they have better contrast? I mainly do my reading at night in low light conditions but love the features provided on the 600 but will prob. go with the other ones if they are better for night reading.
Well I don't like reading in dark conditions due to my eyes getting shot, so I try to keep my area well lit, I would say if you could read a regular paper book in the lighting you could read from all 3.....I would suggest a book light with either purchase though.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Silly question... but does the stylus stick to the corners like in the 700?
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #38
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Silly question... but does the stylus stick to the corners like in the 700?
Stick to the corners???? I don't understand

If you mean does it have a spot to insert it, like the 700 it's in the upper right hand corner.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #39
informale
informale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Netronix EB600
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post

If you mean does it have a spot to insert it, like the 700 it's in the upper right hand corner.
700 had magnets.
informale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:08 PM   #40
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:

700 had magnets in the corners and the stylus stuck to the corner... so when you were not using it you could just leave it in the corner instead of putting it back in the insert.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 PM   #41
wachuko
eBook Worm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by informale View Post
700 had magnets.
Correct. Now, thinking out loud.. it should have the magnets, right? That is what is used to keep the optional cover neatly close.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #42
plim
plim began at the beginning.

Hey,
Are the hightlight/annotations and dictionary functionalitys available to all the formats? (PDF,DOC, etc) ?

Thanks.
plim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
About the 505 stock cover : Is it really fitting perfectly on the 600? Is it still possible to fold back completely the cover?

I'm asking this question cause the 600 appear to be a little thicker than the 505 (judging by the specs).
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #44
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Hi all. I have (had) the 505 and 600 too. The 505 stock cover fits nicely from a width perspective, but the 600 is ever-so-slightly longer and you need to strain a bit to get the clips in. Fine afterwards.

I say ... had... the 600 as I returned it today. The glare and contrast are inferior to the 505 and after using it incessantly since last Thursday (they came out early in Canada) I found the eye strain and tedious action of constantly adjusting the display angle to invalidate the other - admittedly lovely - features of the 600.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #45
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Just a little update.....I have to say after a day with this device.....reading about an hour last night, and playing around with it in the minutes of free time I can, I am excited about it. This device has so many great features between the annotations, dictionary, and the Touch Screen, so far it's the best of the bunch that I have had.

It's amazingly fast, page turns are immediate, and to answer Jaytrade's question this device turns PDF pages just as fast as any other file type.

Having owned all of Sony's previous devices, I would rate this screen between the PRS-500 and the PRS-505. Great clarity, IMHO it is everything the PRS-700 was supposed to be.
This was my impression as well--the 600's screen was in-between the 500 and 505, closer to the 505. Your pics are accurate--the 505 text is black, the 600 is dark gray. Both have a lighter background than the 500 for better contrast. (There was no 700 model in the Sony store to do a direct comparison.)

I didn't want a touchscreen or dictionary or notations--I just want to read books!--so I went the other way and picked up a 300. The performance and screen are pretty much the same as the 500, just a bit smaller. It's my favorite so far because it fits right in my pocket, which means it will go everywhere with me. The slightly smaller screen and slightly thicker case seem much more solid than the 505 (which doesn't feel cheap either), so I'm not afraid of pocketing it.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote