Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Stupid newbie question, Im sorry. Ive been relying on calibre to do my work but it

doesnt want to work with these files. What do I need to convert a pdf file to work on the kindle and what can I use to convert them? Ill hook ya up (somehow) if ya help me fast.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Calibre should work fine. Perhaps the pdf has DRM protection? If so, you cannot convert the file. You can always download Mobipocket Creator, Publisher edition from Mobipocket.com (free) and use it to convert a pdf to Mobipocket (Kindle) format. Calibre should work, but I found that initially I had to keep going back and tweaking the default output settings to get it to create Mobipocket output like I wanted.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Dragoro, here is the link for the mobipocket creator. Like susan says, you will want to download the publisher edition (its free)

Once you've converted it, then add it to your Calibre.

If its DRM'd you will receive a notice from Calibre when you try to convert to mobi.

Good luck!

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN

Last edited by desertgrandma; 04-14-2009 at 11:34 PM. Reason: link
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hehe I thought calibre would work too. No drm protection. I tried sending it to my kindle, and it ended up in all chinese lol.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

What are ya talkin about with publisher edition?
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Hehe I thought calibre would work too. No drm protection. I tried sending it to my kindle, and it ended up in all chinese lol.
If you tried sending the pdf before you converted it to .prc, yes, thats what would happen.

Try converting thru mobipocket creator first, then Calibre.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
What are ya talkin about with publisher edition?
click on the link, and look on the right hand side.......click on 'download now' and follow the directions for publishers edition.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Im going to start a contest of how many goofballs it takes to answer my dumbarse goofball questions. The winner will win a huge poofball (assuming its availible to buy on the net, (its gotta be, how can it not be?))
Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Im going to start a contest of how many goofballs it takes to answer my dumbarse goofball questions. The winner will win a huge poofball (assuming its availible to buy on the net, (its gotta be, how can it not be?))
Neither dumarse or goofball questions.

when I first started, I didn't know dink. I know dink now, but not much else.....
Old 04-15-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

This is annoying. Alls Im gettin is try with Calibre, try with mobipocket creator. None of them work or Im getting really bad directions on what to do. This is as frustrating as my question about the audio book from itunes that was supposedly able to be put into the kindle. Im beginning to think that people are giving advice on how to do things that they havent even done themselves.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Desertgrandma can I send you the file and you try and convert it? This is driving me nuts. I dont know if Im doing it wrong or its just not possible...
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
This is annoying. Alls Im gettin is try with Calibre, try with mobipocket creator. None of them work or Im getting really bad directions on what to do. This is as frustrating as my question about the audio book from itunes that was supposedly able to be put into the kindle. Im beginning to think that people are giving advice on how to do things that they havent even done themselves.
Okay, look, I'll try to explain what i mean.

If you have a PDF document, you need to convert it to .prc for your kindle, right? So you would use Mobipocket creator to do that. Very simple and easy.

Now, once its converted, you have a couple of choices. Leave it like it is, and put it on your K. But the meta data might not be right, ie, it might not sort by author, or even show an author.

So. You can use mobi2mobi and 'fix' it, or you can use Calibre. Open Calibre and click on "add books". Find your book and add it. Now, click on 'edit meta data.' Fix the author, title, whatever you need to do.

Once thats done, click on "convert e-books'. If the book isn't drm'd, it will convert it for you, about a 10 second process. Once thats done, you can plug in your Kindle and when Calibre recognizes your device, click on "send to device"

I know this works because this is how I do any pdf I may have.

Again, good luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
If it is a decent PDF format, and not DRMed, Calibre should convert it. Did you click the CONVERT button in calibre? I mean -- calibre will manage the book in your library, but it will also convert it, but you you have to tell it to do so. Pardon me if you already tried that. But it worked for me. Care to post the file here, and let us have a whack at it?

Pardon any spelling errors. I'm trying out a new asus eee and the keyboard is TINY.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
If it is a decent PDF format, and not DRMed, Calibre should convert it. Did you click the CONVERT button in calibre? I mean -- calibre will manage the book in your library, but it will also convert it, but you you have to tell it to do so. Pardon me if you already tried that. But it worked for me. Care to post the file here, and let us have a whack at it?

Pardon any spelling errors. I'm trying out a new asus eee and the keyboard is TINY.
bgd........do you like your new toy? I've been looking at them, have no reason/need/excuse to get one, but they sure are cute!!

Post the file, dragoro. Let us see what we can do. I did not know you didn't need to convert it first, bgd. So I've been going to a lot of unnecessary work, I guess.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 AM   #15
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Uhh this gettin down to the stupid question time. No, I clicked on the do not convert button. I clicked on that button because I wanted this to become an extreme pain in my behind. God, you would think that after reading whats been talked about in the thread already, one wouldnt jump in with a solution that obviously hasnt worked already.