Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 AM   #16
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I mostly listen on my iPhone using the Audible or Overdrive apps. I use Plantronics wireless headphones. I also have an old Apple Shuffle that is good for loading one book at a time. I never thought about swimming and listening to audiobooks. What an interesting idea! I must research that.
I've done it with poolside speakers, but never with in-ear waterproof speakers and a Bluetooth device in a waterproof cover. Unfortunately, we no longer have a pool, although the wife keeps making noises about getting a new one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #17
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
I largely listen with my sports earphones on my android phone. Sometimes I try to use the Bluetooth headphones but it's heavy for longer use. Most of my books are from audible but I also use overdrive app to borrow from library. I would love to have a pair of good Bluetooth earphones that I can use while running or exercise but the prices have so far stopped me from pressing buy button.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #18
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
iPhone. Works like a charm.

While I am not too happy about the battery in general, the battery life for listening to music and audiobooks is quite good.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
iPhone. Works like a charm.

While I am not too happy about the battery in general, the battery life for listening to music and audiobooks is quite good.
I solved that problem with the mophie battery case for the iPhone (they make one for some of the Android phones as well).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Although I've only listened to books from Audible.com so far, I've been downloading the books from this summers SYNC offering. Since they're a series of MP3 files, they need to be organized in a playlist of some sort so that they play in the right order. Don't know what app to use on the iPhone to listen to these books. Any suggestions?
You can do as Synamon recommended, or I've said I like the SmarterPlayer app which has a nice functionality.

Quote:
I love the idea of listening while swimming. I plan to start swimming laps when I retire and will no longer be spending 3/4 of each month away from hme. I'll definitely be researching a good waterproof player and headphones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I mostly listen on my iPhone using the Audible or Overdrive apps. I use Plantronics wireless headphones. I also have an old Apple Shuffle that is good for loading one book at a time. I never thought about swimming and listening to audiobooks. What an interesting idea! I must research that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've done it with poolside speakers, but never with in-ear waterproof speakers and a Bluetooth device in a waterproof cover. Unfortunately, we no longer have a pool, although the wife keeps making noises about getting a new one.
You don't even have to get that fancy (*cough* pricey). This is the Aerb mp3 player I have and the earbuds are the type that plug into the device. The player itself works flawlessly, but while I'm satisfied, I know from reading the reviews of this and other players that many need to invest in upgraded plug-in earbuds.

This is the first summer I'm swimming with an mp3 player and I'm delighted (indeed, I haven't been listening to audiobooks for very long). I love to swim, but tedium used to set in before exhaustion.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 AM   #21
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I listen to mp3 and Audible audiobooks on my 7th generation nano.

I use this case on a lanyard: http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-Freque...Obsidian+Black

I like the JVC Gummi earbuds.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-HAF160B-Gu...ds=jvc+earbuds

I have a 5 minute commute, so I mainly listen while taking a walk or on long trips.

Last edited by BenG; 07-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #22
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just to be clear - I don't know of any Bluetooth headsets that work in the water. They're pretty much all corded headsets at this point, though I keep hoping that will change. I suspect there are issues with water and transmission of the signal? IAC, if anyone comes up with a good waterproof Bluetooth headset, let me know! I'll retire my ancient iPod in a heartbeat.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You don't even have to get that fancy (*cough* pricey). This is the Aerb mp3 player I have and the earbuds are the type that plug into the device. The player itself works flawlessly, but while I'm satisfied, I know from reading the reviews of this and other players that many need to invest in upgraded plug-in earbuds.

This is the first summer I'm swimming with an mp3 player and I'm delighted (indeed, I haven't been listening to audiobooks for very long). I love to swim, but tedium used to set in before exhaustion.
The Aerb is a nice little device. Unfortunately, it doesn't do Audible from what I can tell, though you could always convert the Audible book to MP3. Though that's not a subject we can talk about here, since it involves DRM removal.

I see Otterbox now has a really good waterproof case for iPhone (5 series only). That's a bit bigger than I want in the pool, but if anyone comes up with a good Bluetooth solution, that could easily be my next phone. Also, there are solutions out there based on iPod Shuttles that have been completely waterproofed.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #24
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
I use the Audible app on my Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. I have a 64gb card in it. I've just bought some Sennheiser small sized noise cancelling headphones. They're easy to carry around. I was finding I had to keep swapping earbuds as my ears get sore. I broke my Sony noise cancelling earbuds. I use a big pair of Sony headphones at home.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
The Aerb is a nice little device. Unfortunately, it doesn't do Audible from what I can tell, though you could always convert the Audible book to MP3.
There's enough to listen to at Overdrive to keep me wet, fortunately, since conversion would challenge my technical limitations. Perhaps I'll cue up the fourth Aubrey/Maturin book as appropriate listening after I finish John Feinstein's Where Nobody Knows Your Name, my current swimming listen.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I suspect there are issues with water and transmission of the signal?
Yes, even somewhat well regarded waterproof blue tooth headphones like the BlueAnt PUMP HD aren't recommended for swimming due to underwater interference with blue tooth signals.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There's enough to listen to at Overdrive to keep me wet, fortunately, since conversion would challenge my technical limitations. Perhaps I'll cue up the fourth Aubrey/Maturin book as appropriate listening after I finish John Feinstein's Where Nobody Knows Your Name, my current swimming listen.
The Aubrey/Maturin books are perfect for swimming, especially if the goal is to get you to swim more.

As for conversion - it took me a bit to get it all working, but I now routinely do to my Audible books what I have always done to my eBooks - strip and convert on purchase. That allows me to have a DRM-Free backup that will always work, regardless of my relationship with Audible. I usually convert to M4b, but converting from that to MP3 or WMA is trivial. If you ever decide you need to do this, PM me. You've done more than enough to help me out over the years, I'll be happy to reciprocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, even somewhat well regarded waterproof blue tooth headphones like the BlueAnt PUMP HD aren't recommended for swimming due to underwater interference with blue tooth signals.
That was what I was afraid of. Given the quality of available corded, waterproof, headsets now, I assumed there had to be a good reason that no one was doing Bluetooth. And given the nature of water and electronic signals in general, along with the low power output of Bluetooth, I am not surprised. Thanks for confirming.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:30 PM   #28
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I listen to audiobooks on my Sansa Fuze, and through my car's audio system - usually via the Audible app on my Nook HD or on an MP3 CD.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I use my tablet (Nook HD+) 90% of the time, in bed or in the car, but every once in a while I'll use my phone or PC.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #30
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Sansa Clip+ 4gig with an ever changing pair of earbuds (I'm a bit tough on the things).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote