Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
rhino79
rhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nexus 7
Photo location in non-fiction ebook

You know how non-fiction books, for example biographies, sometimes include photos that go along with the story, like portraits or family photos? Paperbacks usually put these photo pages on heavier, glossy paper in the middle of the book. And then the text resumes after the photos.

Well my question is, where should these photos go in an ebook? If you want to mimic the paper book, you'd put them in the middle of your ebook, too. But for some reason that seems awkward to me in an ebook format... photos appearing in the middle of the text. It's a stylistic choice, but I would prefer to place them at the end.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks.
rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Where/on what kind of device/s will this "ebook" be read? What formats are you
considering? You can embed "photos" and other graphic elements in most ebook
formats. SVG and epub3 offer some extra potential in this regard, as well.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would personally add them at the appropriate point in the text. Eg, include a photograph of a place when you first mention the place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
rhino79
rhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheeserhino79 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Where/on what kind of device/s will this "ebook" be read? What formats are you
considering? You can embed "photos" and other graphic elements in most ebook
formats. SVG and epub3 offer some extra potential in this regard, as well.

Luck;
Ken
I'm talking about epub/mobi/etc. for use on mobile devices... but my question isn't how to insert photos. Instead I'm asking where in the flow of the text should they be placed.
rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I agree with Harry; put them where they belong in the text.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Between the chapters, maybe?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
As a personal preference, as a reader of ebooks on ~6" screens, I would like to see
the pictures placed on a page of their own. That could be just after the text that
references the picture, even if it ends the text early and the next page be the full
page picture. Then have the text start up again on the page following the picture.
I would prefer this as opposed to a smaller picture surrounded by text.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
My preference (5" or greater display):
In the Flow, where it belongs.
I happen to like text that flows around (See 3 men in a boat) smaller images.
For Larger Images, a separate page. I also rotate the image for best Aspect match (too bad if your PC Monitor does not twist )
YMMV
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote