Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
edyagi
edyagi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Lightbulb Text Adventure Game on Kindle (kindlequest.com)

http://www.kindlequest.com

Seeing that the Kindle has free internet, and a nifty keyboard, those old school text adventure games is perfect for the Kindle's experimental browser.

So we developed a website specifically for the Kindle that lets you play a bunch of your favorite Infocom Zork-like games from yesteryear:

[1] - Mini-Zork I (1988)
[4] - Zork I (1980)
[9] - Ballyhoo (1985)
[10] - Cutthroat (1984)
[11] - Deadline (1981)
[12] - Enchanter (1983)
[13] - Hollywood Hijinx (1986)
[14] - Infidel (1983)
[17] - Moonmist (1986)
[18] - Planetfall (1983)
[19] - Plundered Hearts (1987)
[20] - Seastalker (1984)
[22] - Spellbreaker (1985)
[23] - Starcross (1982)
[25] - Suspect (1984)
[26] - Suspended (1983)
[27] - Wishbringer (1985)
[29] - Zork II (1981)
[30] - Zork III (1982)

Give it a spin, let us know what you think and/or how we can improve it!

thanks!

http://www.kindlequest.com
edyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
vili
vili began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Wow, great work!

I found a bug though. By mistake, I typed the command "game 16", and got a Server Error. I assume that this is because no game number 16 exists on your list yet.

I wonder if it may also be a security breach considering that the error page lets me know where on your server the source files are kept.

Are you going to be adding other Infocom games as well? Stationfall, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Bureaucracy first came to mind from titles that are still missing.
vili is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for setting this up. Is it possible to include a Black on White option? I have a really hard time reading White on Black.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:31 AM   #4
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Just tried it with my pc works great, When I eventually get my kindle3 I'll try it on that too, I love Infocom games, You may want to add "Station Fall" which is a great follow up to "planet fall". I take it that most if not all Infocom titles are public domain now then ?
Thanks for the link and your effort =)
How is the save game done btw ? Will it remember where I left off ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
These are copyrighted games. Do you have the permission of the copyright holder to have them on your server?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 04:49 AM   #6
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Mmm yes I thought that also, The Zork titles are the only ones that are in the public domain. "Activision Studios owns and maintains full copyright on all Infocom games. With the exception of the first three Zork adventures no Infocom game can be legally "downloaded for free""
I think the OP might have to trim a few titles.
http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/faq.html#PIRATE
Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 AM   #7
sastig
sastig began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ooh, kindlequest is a lot of fun! Thanks for doing this!

One thing: I tried a few of the games, and more than one of them said that the clue I needed was "in my game package." (Specifically, the Infidel game has a treasure map in it, but the map is "in your game package," and the Hollywood game has a letter in it telling you what you're supposed to do, but that's "in your game package" too.)

Am I wrong to think that you need the extra elements to play the games?

Thanks again for these -- I had great fun as a kid with text games and it's nice to see them again!!
sastig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
gargoyle67
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sastig View Post
Am I wrong to think that you need the extra elements to play the games?
Yes some of them had it as a form of software protection, Although there are PDF's about on the net with the info if you know where to look.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:06 PM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I suspect they'll be getting take-down notices due to both the use of Kindle and Quest in the domain names, although they may get a few months before they are noticed.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #10
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
I applaud your efforts, but, honestly, most people have a kindle for one thing - reading. I can think of many platforms i would use for even text games before i would use my kindle.
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
I suspect they'll be getting take-down notices due to both the use of Kindle and Quest in the domain names, although they may get a few months before they are noticed.
Companies are noticing that old games are viable as a rerelease for portable devices so yeah, if the other games in the list were never released to the public then I'd expect some nasty lawyer letters. People used to argue that the companies were no longer interested in these ancient games and no longer sold them but this isn't quite true now.

Whats wrong with "Quest" BTW?

Nice work still though. The Kindle keyboard isn't great for lots of typing but its still a nice idea. Hopefully there will be other adventure style games in the future. I could see Amazon doing interactive fiction.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #12
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Kindle shouldn’t have games in the first place, but if I have to play the devils advocate, I’d like to see some Chess on it.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 AM   #13
vkeios
vkeios began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
If you want to play some interactive fiction online, legally, and on the Kindle. Parchment is pretty nice. I'd recommend anything by Adam Cadre or Andrew Plotkin.
http://parchment.toolness.com

And its all modern games that have mostly been made in the last decade (Nothing wrong with Infocom, but I don't always feel like replaying their stuff).

Last edited by vkeios; 09-28-2010 at 12:45 AM.
vkeios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkeios View Post
If you want to play some interactive fiction online, legally, and on the Kindle. Parchment is pretty nice. I'd recommend anything by Adam Cadre or Andrew Plotkin.
http://parchment.toolness.com

And its all modern games that have mostly been made in the last decade (Nothing wrong with Infocom, but I don't always feel like replaying their stuff).
Thanks for that link.

Actually I think 'interactive fiction' is a good match for Kindle, I trust someone will eventually deliver Kindle app implementations. There are plenty of Infocom games I never played in the first place (or never got very far with).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pboss View Post
Kindle shouldn’t have games in the first place, but if I have to play the devils advocate, I’d like to see some Chess on it.
I'm for that, as long as I can win once in awhile...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
games, interactive fiction, kindle, text adventure, zork