Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I guess they are thinking in terms of phones and tablets which do not have recessed screens. The laptop I'm typing on has a flush screen as well (actually it protrudes a bit).

We've learned to cope with those screens so I guess we can cope with one on a Kindle.

I still use cases when ever possible and will do so with the new Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #17
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
A potential non-recessed screen is great news. Solves the dust problems
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #18
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
While I have no doubt that a PW3 will be released next year, Q2 sounds way too early. Amazon (alongside Google and Apple) have found the sweet-spot in releasing new iterations of their products in early Autumn; the buzz lasts throughout November and thus the holiday shopping season. A Q2-release would undercut that significantly.

If the PW3 has a new design as the rumors seem to indicate, then I will sit out next year's model and wait for the PW4 for all the bugs/kinks to get worked out.

At any rate, it will be interesting to see how the e-ink product lineup evolves in the coming years.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
We've learned to cope with those screens so I guess we can cope with one on a Kindle.
They should add that copy to the commercial
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This sounds like a combination of the Kobo Aura HD and the Kobo Aura. Could be interesting. For me, it would depend on the firmware and font handling (ability to use custom fonts, etc.) to determine if I would update.

Who am I trying to kid? I'll be pre-ordering as soon as it is available.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
This sounds like a combination of the Kobo Aura HD and the Kobo Aura. Could be interesting. For me, it would depend on the firmware and font handling (ability to use custom fonts, etc.) to determine if I would update.

Who am I trying to kid? I'll be pre-ordering as soon as it is available.

That deserves an extra belly laugh, because I'll be right next to you with my pre-order!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My pre-order is also guaranteed if I'm not in the persistent, vegetative state by then. Maybe one day Amazon will have a Kindle which can communicate direct to our brain waves. Then I can keep reading until the end.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #23
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
My pre-order is also guaranteed if I'm not in the persistent, vegetative state by then. Maybe one day Amazon will have a Kindle which can communicate direct to our brain waves. Then I can keep reading until the end.
Why stop there. Start saving now so when Amazon Skynet comes on line, you can upload your brain and spend eternity reading.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
See this.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Why stop there. Start saving now so when Amazon Skynet comes on line, you can upload your brain and spend eternity reading.
See this link:

http://www.2045.com/articles/29105.html

A Russian billionaire is really looking for volunteers for just that objective...

BLOL.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am interested in seeing this rumored new Kindle if it is indeed going to be real. I'm hoping Amazon has done some real typography that no Reader yet has.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-25-2013 at 10:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I guess they are thinking in terms of phones and tablets which do not have recessed screens. The laptop I'm typing on has a flush screen as well (actually it protrudes a bit).

I still use cases when ever possible and will do so with the new Kindle.
The new Toshiba laptop I am using now has the screen a little bit flush so when the lid is down, the keyboard does not touch the screen. It's a 17.3" 1920x1080 screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #27
AniaR
Enthusiast
AniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beautyAniaR does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm curious to see what they come up with, but there's really nothing they could offer that would make me wanna give up my amazing PW2 For now this device is my dream e-reader and I have no intention of "upgrading" to anything.
AniaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I might get one, if they up the storage. 2gb is paltry. (IMO).
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I might get one, if they up the storage. 2gb is paltry. (IMO).
Take a trip to Japan and get the Paperwhite they sell there. It has 4GB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-11-26 at 8.23.43 AM.png
Views:	346
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	115796  

Last edited by tomsem; 11-26-2013 at 11:26 AM.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #30
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I like the 'flush screen' idea and only wish they would make the screen a wee bit larger (like Aura HD). Page turn buttons are of no attraction to me, especially if they require much pressure.

I would like to think that glass would scatter less light than the plastic light guide layer does now, and preserve more of the contrast/sharpness and have less susceptibility to uneven lighting. OTOH I'd be a little worried about potential damage—my PW does fine without a cover but glass might need one. With a cover, any weight savings will be offset.

I don't think a light sensor would work well enough. At least it doesn't on the devices I use that have one. Still need to manually adjust for best results. But they could make it easier to adjust the light (a swipe up/down on left edge of screen, for example, like some tablet reading apps do).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
300 ppi, 3rd generation, good, kindle, paperwhite