Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Footnotes

So currently the best practice for footnotes is to treat them as endnotes and either have them at the back of the book as "endnotes" or and the end of each chapter. And then have pagebreak before and after set to always so that each one appears as it's own entry

Is there a way I have the footnotes in a separate file, which does not show on scroll through?

See attached sample test...

(ignore obvious typos haha was rushed)
Attached Files
File Type: epub Footnote.epub (357.6 KB, 189 views)
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjust View Post
So Is there a way I have the footnotes in a separate file, which does not show on scroll through?
Declare this separate file in the manifest section but NOT in the spine section of the OPF.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

It needs to be in spine in order to validate
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Another approach in some books I have worked with is to end each chapter's text with a block with return to table of contents, previous chapter or next chapter, just in front of the end notes.

You can get a little better response time from the ereader if you aren't jumping in and out of sections. This, of course, depends on the ereader.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
That's unfortunate because it certainly stops it showing on scroll through.

I would be inclined to 'hide' them at the end of the book in a separate file, but check that the response time on your reader is acceptable.
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
Declare this separate file in the manifest section but NOT in the spine section of the OPF.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
That's unfortunate because it certainly stops it showing on scroll through.
You can have it in the spine, with linear="no", and some readers might obey it and hide it from the normal flow (calibre does).

Quote:
I would be inclined to 'hide' them at the end of the book in a separate file, but check that the response time on your reader is acceptable.
Agree. I prefer to have them at the end, so I don't have to page through footnotes between chapter and chapter. If there are many, it may be better to hava a separate file for each chapter's footnotes, but all of them at the end of the book.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Adjust
Addict

Oh... I just tested the epub on iPad

I'm an idiot...

So, it turn out, the footnotes DO show in scroll through from ADE
but DO NOT show on page flip through in iBooks, with linear="no"

That is the only alternative...

Thanks guys

Stupid ADE had me all confused
Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Wasn't there a song lately called maybe...shoulda been about epubs!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote