Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
purevl
purevl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
.mobi files going to Books & not Documents

I would like to keep my Amazon content separate from my side-loaded content but can't seem to figure out how. I have a Kindle Fire & use Calibre for converting my content. I am good with the process of adding books, editing metadata, converting, saving, & copying to the Kindle but can't get them in the correct tab.

When converting books, under Convert > Page Setup I have 'Kindle Fire' chosen as the output profile. Looking at the Mobi Output options, the tag [PDOC] is listed. Yet when I convert book, save the resulting .mobi, & copy them to my Fire they all show up under Books instead of Documents.

I thought I had it all figured out but apparently there's something I'm doing wrong. Is there a step or setting I'm missing that's forcing all my side-loaded content to still show up in Books?
purevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by purevl View Post
I would like to keep my Amazon content separate from my side-loaded content but can't seem to figure out how. I have a Kindle Fire & use Calibre for converting my content. I am good with the process of adding books, editing metadata, converting, saving, & copying to the Kindle but can't get them in the correct tab.

When converting books, under Convert > Page Setup I have 'Kindle Fire' chosen as the output profile. Looking at the Mobi Output options, the tag [PDOC] is listed. Yet when I convert book, save the resulting .mobi, & copy them to my Fire they all show up under Books instead of Documents.

I thought I had it all figured out but apparently there's something I'm doing wrong. Is there a step or setting I'm missing that's forcing all my side-loaded content to still show up in Books?
Just email them to the Kindle and it will show up in docs with no problems.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
purevl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks for the quick reply & successful tip. That worked but is there a way to do it without emailing? I would prefer to just copy them from my PC to the Kindle so I don't have to wait for Amazon to send them back to me.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool other methods

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply & successful tip. That worked but is there a way to do it without emailing? I would prefer to just copy them from my PC to the Kindle so I don't have to wait for Amazon to send them back to me.
I've never liked the emailing my books thing either. I use my dropbox account and can put it (using export) anywhere I want. It's also possible to drag & drop (I open the containing folder in Calibre when I use this method) when you're hooked up via USB cable.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Go to Preferences -- Change Behavior -- Plugins -- Device Interface Plugins -- MTP Interface Plugin (Fire HD must be plugged in) -- Customize Plugin

add the folder you want the books to go into first. In the format sending section you can specify where you want the different formats to be sent to.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you do it this way the books stay in the cloud and can sync with other Kindle apps and Kindles that support the Personal Documents cloud. There is an app called Send to Kindle for your PC or Mac that bypasses the email and uploads directly to Amazon's server.

Also I read in the manual that any Documents uploaded to the Amazon Cloud drive in the folder Documents will show up on the New Kindle Fires as docs. This does not work with the original Kindle Fire. *pouts*
Old 10-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool fine up to a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Go to Preferences -- Change Behavior -- Plugins -- Device Interface Plugins -- MTP Interface Plugin (Fire HD must be plugged in) -- Customize Plugin

add the folder you want the books to go into first. In the format sending section you can specify where you want the different formats to be sent to.
Not only the Fire HD. Anyway this will work for the OP but it's no good for me because I have two destinations, one for Epubs and the other for everything that the built-in reader handles. Hence, I must do it by hand.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:

On the KFv1 is doesn't matter what folder you put the books in they show on either book or Documents shelf due to having the pdoc tag or not. Is this not the case on the newer Fires?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Not only the Fire HD. Anyway this will work for the OP but it's no good for me because I have two destinations, one for Epubs and the other for everything that the built-in reader handles. Hence, I must do it by hand.
You could use the default folder for where you want your epubs to go and the send to section for your other formats. I have mine set up to send my mobis to the book folder, and then rules for epubs, txt and pdf files.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
On the KFv1 is doesn't matter what folder you put the books in they show on either book or Documents shelf due to having the pdoc tag or not. Is this not the case on the newer Fires?
I am not sure, I have Calibre setup to convert using the PDOC tag that Amazon recognizes as books which go in the Book folder.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:

Also I read in the manual that any Documents uploaded to the Amazon Cloud drive in the folder Documents will show up on the New Kindle Fires as docs. This does not work with the original Kindle Fire. *pouts*
I just tested this, thanks for this tip. Now maybe I will use the cloud drive more.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool interesting

Quote:
You could use the default folder for where you want your epubs to go and the send to section for your other formats. I have mine set up to send my mobis to the book folder, and then rules for epubs, txt and pdf files.
Interesting, I'll have to look into that.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
purevl

Thanks for the suggestions. Generally I process several at a time in Calibre & then copy them to my Fire as I'm ready to read them. I use an app (ES File Explorer) to wirelessly grab them from my PC & dump them into the Documents folder on my Fire. Doing it this way, all of them have shown up in the Books tab instead of the Docs tab even with the [pdoc] tag set. Emailing or using Send-to-Kindle so far is the only way I've been able to get them in Docs. Looks like I have a few other things I can try.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Generally I process several at a time in Calibre & then copy them to my Fire as I'm ready to read them. I use an app (ES File Explorer) to wirelessly grab them from my PC & dump them into the Documents folder on my Fire. Doing it this way, all of them have shown up in the Books tab instead of the Docs tab even with the [pdoc] tag set. Emailing or using Send-to-Kindle so far is the only way I've been able to get them in Docs. Looks like I have a few other things I can try.
Just a thought, are you using the right profile on Calibre? You must use the Kindle profile to get the pdoc added.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #15
purevl

Quote:
Just a thought, are you using the right profile on Calibre? You must use the Kindle profile to get the pdoc added.
Yes, I have Kindle Fire chosen as the output profile in the Page Setup options.

Tags
books, documents, mobi, [pdoc]