Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Notes!

Please excuse my absolute, utter silliness in advance.

I've been using my PRS 950 to take notes and annotations, but since I'm not quite sure how to get the notes OFF, I've been using the PRS+ screenshot option to just screenshot pages where I annotate. This isn't really the best solution in the world, however, so... How do I get these notes off the "normal" way? I dug around through the reader files, but nothing jumped out at me. (Do I have to use the Sony software??)

Thanks in advance!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I assume that they are highlights and typewritten notes? Yes, you need the Sony software. Attach your reader via USB and wait for it to show up as a device in Reader Library. Click the arrow by the device icon to expand the list of items underneath. Then open the book on your 950 that has your notes. You can then view them on your monitor and in the lower-left of the book viewer window is an icon that allows you to export your notes to an RTF file.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I assume that they are highlights and typewritten notes? Yes, you need the Sony software. Attach your reader via USB and wait for it to show up as a device in Reader Library. Click the arrow by the device icon to expand the list of items underneath. Then open the book on your 950 that has your notes. You can then view them on your monitor and in the lower-left of the book viewer window is an icon that allows you to export your notes to an RTF file.
ARGH! *strangled noise from back of the throat*

OK, Sony, you win. I'll install your software.

Thank you Bookworm Girl!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be nice if they were stored in a txt file like Kindle. On the other hand, the Sony software works well for me because I have two Sony readers and it allows me to keep the notes on my 350 and 950 synced together pretty easily and quickly. You can sort of see your notes inside the CacheExt file that's on your ereader, but they are truncated so it's not that useful for export.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle on Android phone; PB360; Sony 950
Keep in mind that you only get the first 200 characters of each highlight. I found myself opening up the rtf file and deleting the highlights that weren't all that necessary (with 20/20 hindsight) and completing things that I wanted to quote exactly.

What kinds of notes do you take, Ana & Bookworm_Girl, and what further processing do you do with them? You're both keeping the annotated files on an SD card, right, so as not to slow down the reader?

From my laptop, I love clipping things to Evernote and being able to access the information from other computers or on my smartphone. Alternatively, for scholarly work, I've kept notes with bibliographic software.
anjirlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Hi, anjirlly. Great point about the export limitations. Here are the limits from the software help menu.
Quote:
The maximum number of characters you can export with a note is limited.
Bookmark: 100 characters from the headline
Highlight: 2,000 characters for non-DRM content, 100 characters for DRM protected content
Comment: 2,000 characters
I like to highlight quotes that move me. I also like to highlight names, places, dates, descriptions about a character, etc that I might want to look back on when I'm further ahead in the book. I like to take notes to remind me that I want to do in-depth research later about a topic. Like did this really happen in real life? Or, sometimes it's to record a tangental thought that I had. I keep all of my books on the internal memory although I'm almost out of space. When it starts to get slow usually a power off/on cycle fixes the issue for me.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

2,000 characters is not so much.

I sometimes export notes to Evernote, if I really really like the quote. More often, I make notes and highlights because I'm a reviewer and I will save something to jar my memory during the reviewing process. In those cases, the annotation doesn't live after my immediate need is gone.

Usually a review note is something either very good or (more often) very bad. Evernote notes are things like "huh, that made me see something differently, and I want to save that".

I use a 32GB SD card with the reader. I REALLY want a 350, but I cannot live without an SD card slot.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I don't know why they have limits on non-DRM'ed content. At least 2000 characters allows you to highlight several paragraphs. 100 characters is just pathetic and barely allows a few sentences. So I have to make multiple highlights in a row and edit the RTF file to combine them. Or, I end up editing the RTF file to expand the quote. I understand why they have limits on clipping DRM'ed content, although I think it should be more than 100 characters. Frowny face, indeed!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #9
anjirlly
Groupie
anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.anjirlly beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Yes, stitching together highlights in the rtf feels like a waste of time. I'm tempted to just bookmark while I'm reading, then fire up the laptop for a session of commenting, but I know it's not safe to assume that the bookmark or minimal highlight alone will be enough to trigger the same inspiration. It's still hard to beat dtb for scribbling in margins or on sticky notes (for library books).
Old 08-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #10
anjirlly
Groupie

And thanks, Bookworm Girl, for the accurate limits. Even stingier than I'd thought.