Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
It's a TOUCH SCREEN DEVICE!! If you want buttons you buy the NON-TOUCH SCREEN version.
Or I can get the best of both worlds and get a device that has buttons and a touchscreen like the PRS650/350 or Nook Touch.

You realize that even the Kobo Touch has buttons, right? It's got a power button and a home button. What I prefer is the inclusion of page turn buttons.

You see, people have SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS and PERSONAL PREFERENCES, I don't share your OPINIONS and PERSONAL PREFERENCES.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
MikeLC
Chapter/Indigo Employee
MikeLC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo iPhone, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch Ereader
any information on whether the new update will include some fixes on lag that is happened with leaving the Kobo Touch on for long periods of time?

We've found that a complete power down and restart helps to minimize the lag we're getting between book loading and page turning (this is without the plastic cover) however an update that addressed this issue would be much appreciated.

Michael

kudos on a great ereader loving this one even more so then the wifi one I got a few months back
MikeLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulm View Post
Or I can get the best of both worlds and get a device that has buttons and a touchscreen like the PRS650/350 or Nook Touch.

You realize that even the Kobo Touch has buttons, right? It's got a power button and a home button. What I prefer is the inclusion of page turn buttons.

You see, people have SUBJECTIVE OPINIONS and PERSONAL PREFERENCES, I don't share your OPINIONS and PERSONAL PREFERENCES.
The touch screen aspect hasn't been as bad as I thought it might. I prefer a button to change page and I went for the touch for the increased speed primarily, so there is a reason why some people would like buttons even though it's meant to be a touchscreen device.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
rahulm
Zealot
rahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguerahulm can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
The touch screen aspect hasn't been as bad as I thought it might. I prefer a button to change page and I went for the touch for the increased speed primarily, so there is a reason why some people would like buttons even though it's meant to be a touchscreen device.
Yeah, I love the touch screen for every other function (menu selection, settings, word lookup and highlighting, etc.).

But I like having physical page turn buttons because it's easier to use one-handed when I am in bed.
rahulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:17 AM   #20
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I can operate mine one handed without much difficulty. What I do notice however is that if I leave the screen alone to read for more than a minute, the single tap function to change the page doesn't respond that well (there's at least a 1 second delay or I have to tap again). It's fine once it gets going, but I find that I have to do the swipe instead to turn pages in order to be sure that the IR gets what I want to do.

I think this is why having buttons around even though there's a touch screen is beneficial-- at least until you can get the IR to respond exactly when you want it to. Considering how much more complicated it seems to differentiate IR input vs a simple button, the Kobo developers have their work cutout.

Last edited by Toastedpine; 06-13-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #21
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
It's a TOUCH SCREEN DEVICE!! If you want buttons you buy the NON-TOUCH SCREEN version.
while this seems logical. It's not so cut and dry.

I have the old Wifi model. I love it. But i want the touch. Not mainly cause of the touch screen.

I'm a lefty. I always held my books in my left hand. its just comfortable for long reads (i like marathon 10 hour read sessions, sleep is unimportant).

But holding the WiFi model in my left hand makes for an extremely annoying read. The navigation buttons are too far to the right to operate with my left hand thumb when holding one handed.

I was hoping with the Touch that their would be navigation buttons in a more reasonable position. Centre would be nice. That way i could hold the Kobo in my left hand and be able to turn the pages.

having a touch screen doesn't rectify this entirely, as you still need to press on the right side of the page to turn to the next page.

I really wish that there would be some form of "ambidexterity" built into these devices.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
having a touch screen doesn't rectify this entirely, as you still need to press on the right side of the page to turn to the next page.
Actually with a little practice, you can swipe with your left thumb anywhere on the screen to turn.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #23
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Yes, this is true. You can control the page turns, forwards or backwards, on either the left or right side of the screen. It's the direction of the swipe that matters.

If you choose the 'tap' method, however, you must tap on the right side to turn to the next page.

A lefty will like this device!

Last edited by 46jimbo; 06-17-2011 at 09:46 AM.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #24
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

thanks, I really didnt know that. I played with one extremely briefly and didn't realize it supported swiping gestures.

Most of the other touch capable e-ink devices i ever used were very limited in their touch responsiveness. Basically only registered a single touch at a time and non moving.

if thats the case, That concern (while still there) has been reduced a lot.

I still wish more developers would put more consideration into peoples handiness when creating devices. I know being a lefty puts me in a minority, But we do exist
Old 06-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #25
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
You know, I'm right-handed and hold my Kobo WiFi in my left hand when I read, and use my right hand for my coffee cup etc. So in my view, it's designed for a leftie!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
Lordvic
Connoisseur

but if you're holding it in your left hand. And your coffee in your right (exactly how i spend 2.5 hours a day on the train with no cup holders or room beside you). how do you press the next button? no matter what, I have to reach with my right hand to press the button, Or i've started doing this "hand shuffle slide" where i wond handedly move my hand towards the middle of the device, walking my fingers like a crab along the side to reach it with my thumb, then reverse it

only thing is, its slow and by the time i've restored my hand to normal reading position, i've finished my page!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #27
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
I personally agree with you... so you have a friend on the inside Stay tuned.
Are you implying we might finally get full screen covers on sleep/off?
(because that would be awesome)
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #28
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
but if you're holding it in your left hand. And your coffee in your right (exactly how i spend 2.5 hours a day on the train with no cup holders or room beside you). how do you press the next button? no matter what, I have to reach with my right hand to press the button, Or i've started doing this "hand shuffle slide" where i wond handedly move my hand towards the middle of the device, walking my fingers like a crab along the side to reach it with my thumb, then reverse it

only thing is, its slow and by the time i've restored my hand to normal reading position, i've finished my page!
I hold my Kobo Wifi almost exclusively in my left hand and can comfortably press the next button, and am able to do so standing on crowded buses and trains!
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #29
Zoshka
Connoisseur
Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zoshka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 & 4, Nook Tablet
I ordered a Nook Touch precisely because it had page turn buttons. Unfortunately, when I got it I found them to be so thin and difficult to depress that it was detracting from the reading experience. Then the width of the Nook kept me from doing one-hand reading, and the hard plastic edge felt uncomfortable in my hand.

I liked the Kindle 3 side buttons, but it also wasn't comfortable for one-handed reading, and the thinness of it was a drawback, since the edges dug into my hands.

I just got my Kobo Touch and it's a huge improvement as far as comfort. I'm a lefty, but don't mind a tap on the right side with my other hand, and I can also read it one-handed, using a swipe. I also use my right hand for a change, and then can tap with the same hand. It feels great holding it towards the top while resting on my belly, in the middle, and resting between my thumb and forefinger. I realized I was pressing unnecessarily hard for swipes, too--the IR registers light, slow swipes without pressing on the surface, and if you want to avoid getting oils on the screen, you can use a slip of paper or even a feather.
Zoshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #30
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I always have held my Kobo Wifi in my left hand (see attached) and I'm right handed too. I use the left side of my thumb to press the button on the Wifi. I hadn't realized just how much easier the KT is for turning pages left handed. With the KT I use my thumb in the bottom right corner to flip pages. Picking up the Wifi to take the pics I realized the 1/2 oz. difference in weight and difference how the weight is distributed makes the KT much nicer to hold and use now that I'm used to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo touch.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	72884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo wifi.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	72885  
robko is offline   Reply With Quote