Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
Calibre uses a bit of help!

An odd thing happend to me recently. I did a bunch of management on my calibre libary adding the ability to keep the series books labled etc. making sure etc.

after it is all good and synced with my kobo I have a few kobo entries in the libary on the device that say 'chapter one' no authour etc. They dont show up in calibre in the kobo device tab and if I try to delete them off the kobo it says they are not there?

I have tried a power down cycle and syncing with the kobo software yet they are still there.

Thoughts?
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

more specifically it says under books by author or title

"Chapter 2"
by . Unread

If you delete it on the kobo it says 'boook not found it has probably been deleted already"
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
If you look at the file system for the drive itself (under My Computer for Windows, and I believe Finder for Mac) do you have any folders that have something other than the author's name on them in the area that Calibre places the books you have added? How did you do the series reorganization? With the plugboard script or by doing something else? I thought you had mentioned doing some sort of other meta data work.

Tim Legge is the go-to guy on Calibre-Kobo. You might try PMing him.

Last edited by taming; 01-17-2011 at 11:11 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
baronrus
Addict

The directory tree showes only the books and not the 'chapter one' entries along with the normal kobo folders and the calibre metadata folder.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are any books missing--thinking those might be the chapter one books--and are they books in a series?
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
baronrus
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Are any books missing--thinking those might be the chapter one books--and are they books in a series?
I dont think any books are missing and there are several series on the kobo.

I did a reset and reloaded the kobo and all seems well. I am co-managing with the kobo desktop as well as I am trying out the dictionary on the kepub files so perhaps that is the issue.

Anyway it was time to clean up my kobo anyway so all is well for now.

thanks for the advice
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Warning this is pretty speculative.

I do know that delete book on the Kobo doesn't seem to really work on Calibre sideloaded books. It seems to delete the connection to the sqlite Db, but the files themselves remain. I have no idea if this can be a problem, at some point, or not. I also have no idea if deleting through Calibre first is a good idea . I have gotten in the habit of using Calibre to delete the books I load using Calibre AFTER I do the delete through the reader.

I also noticed that it works better when I only send a few books to the device at a time--say 5 or so. This is outside of my area of expertise, but I sorta assume that loading the books and making the Db connections for them is processor intensive, given the hardware--particularly on Kobo-1. YMMV
Old 01-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Strange... I had basically ther same thing happen to me when I rearranged the labelling of books. It got to the point where if I tried to open some of the books on the Kobo, the unit reset.

I did a restore to factory default and all seems fine now.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote