Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Exclamation Blame Canada!

This is great! The IIPA (the umbrella group for the RIAA et al) has released a report that says, among other things, that "no other country is farther behind the curve in combating copyright infringement in cyberspace."

They suggest that Canada be included with Russia and China, be on the "priority watch list", even above the regular "watch list", which includes places like Uzbekistan.

Honestly, knowing that this server is in the Great White North, just posting here makes me feel dirty...

The report suggests that the US government put the screws to you Canadians, pressuring for changes in Canadian law like removing caps on damages and outlawing circumvention of DRM for legal uses.

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like they either took the document down, or screwed up the link. The download page is here. More information from Ars Technica.

EDIT2: To avoid any confusion, the title of this thread makes reference to the "Blame Canada!" song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UKllR0Edo - a cartoon <EDIT>not</EDIT> done by Canadians, BTW), and is intended as a joke, to point out the absurdity of singling out Canada, with its perfectly reasonable laws, as some sort of failed, pirate state. As in "Things aren't going the way you want? Hmm, I know, BLAME CANADA!" Apparently this was somewhat unclear to some posters.

Last edited by llreader; 02-19-2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: PDF download is dead
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
The Canadian laws that they're complaining about look eminently sensible to me. I'd guess the one that really scares them is the $500 cap on personal damages, because it means that they can't use their size to bully the populace. My view of big corporations who want to get their way by threatening to ruin individuals through the courts isn't printable in this forum - but good for Canada!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, they want the one-two punch, outlaw DRM and let them file endless punitive lawsuits that they don't have to take to court, because the fear of massive damages makes people settle without ever determining if they have, actually, broken the law or not.

BTW, I meant "This is great" in a very sarcastic way. Putting Canada below Uzbekistan in terms of IP protection because Canada still has some minimal defenses of people's rights just shows what a bunch of ruthless troglodytes these people are.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #4
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Canada on the axis of eBook evil ... will wonders never cease?
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by llreader View Post
Yep, they want the one-two punch, outlaw DRM and let them file endless punitive lawsuits that they don't have to take to court, because the fear of massive damages makes people settle without ever determining if they have, actually, broken the law or not.

BTW, I meant "This is great" in a very sarcastic way. Putting Canada below Uzbekistan in terms of IP protection because Canada still has some minimal defenses of people's rights just shows what a bunch of ruthless troglodytes these people are.
Well, Gumby, what can be said about that load of crap?
As a troglodyte I should tell you that this Canadian citizen feels rightly protected. So much so that many of us never lock their doors when we're in! What we protect ourselves from are the big leeches, non living entities that try to squash human beings. Does the word lawyer ring a bell?
When most citizens are responsible and do not commit crimes, is it really necessary to have security systems?
As far as I know, the bigger crimes come from out of our borders...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
My view of big corporations who want to get their way by threatening to ruin individuals through the courts isn't printable in this forum - but good for Canada!

And a loud AMEN!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
As a troglodyte I should tell you that this Canadian citizen feels rightly protected. So much so that many of us never lock their doors when we're in! What we protect ourselves from are the big leeches, non living entities that try to squash human beings. Does the word lawyer ring a bell?
When most citizens are responsible and do not commit crimes, is it really necessary to have security systems?
As far as I know, the bigger crimes come from out of our borders...
You do understand that I was referring to the IIPA as ruthless troglodytes, don't you? If you re-read the first paragraph, you can see that I am talking about the bullying tactics of the RIAA, et al, right?

I love Canada!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You do understand that I was referring to the IIPA as ruthless troglodytes, don't you? If you re-read the first paragraph, you can see that I am talking about the bullying tactics of the RIAA, et al, right?

I love Canada!
Why has the word troglodyte suddenly disappeared from your head post?

Quote:
Honestly, knowing that this server is in the Great White North, just posting here makes me feel dirty...
...and this is clearly from you?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
Why has the word troglodyte suddenly disappeared from your head post?

...and this is clearly from you?
It wasn't in the head post, dude.

Yes, it was clearly from me. It is a joke! You do know the origin of "Blame Canada!", don't you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UKllR0Edo
Old 02-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #10
llreader
Mesmerist

OP edited. Blame Canada, not me! ;-)
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

If you want to separate what you say from what others say put quotation marks...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
llreader
Mesmerist

Quote:
If you want to separate what you say from what others say put quotation marks...
Where did I not put quotation marks? I didn't close the quotes after "watch list", but I just went back and checked, and the quotes are quoted. What exactly do you think needs to be separated?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Where did I not put quotation marks? I didn't close the quotes after "watch list", but I just went back and checked, and the quotes are quoted. What exactly do you think needs to be separated?
<Irony>I think that your real problem was not using irony mark-up. You should have said <Irony>This is great!</Irony> - <Irony>that would have been just as funny</Irony>
</Irony>

<Irony>Surely, this would be a much more workable system than people having to spot irony themselves?</Irony>

I thought that your post was funny, anyway.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:51 AM   #14
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:

and your other posts
Settle down, dude. It's obvious from what's been written that everyone is kicking the IIPA and RIAA, not Canada. Some serious over-sensitivity going on here, IMO.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
T
EDIT2: To avoid any confusion, the title of this thread makes reference to the "Blame Canada!" song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7UKllR0Edo - a cartoon done by Canadians, BTW), and is intended as a joke, to point out the absurdity of singling out Canada, with its perfectly reasonable laws, as some sort of failed, pirate state.
Actually Tray Parker and Matt Stone are both native US citizens.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, copyright, fair use, iipa, riaa