Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: What model iPad do you plan on purchasing?
16G, WiFi, NO 3g - $499 19 22.09%
32G, WiFi, NO 3g - $599 7 8.14%
64G, WiFi, NO 3g - $699 12 13.95%
16G, WiFi, 3g - $629 2 2.33%
32G, WiFi, 3g - $729 6 6.98%
64G, WiFi, 3g - $829 8 9.30%
I can't decide 4 4.65%
I am waiting for the iPad v2.0 7 8.14%
I don't plan on buying one, I just want to see the results 21 24.42%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
Interesting reading so many people are into the 32G version. I figured that would be the least likely as people go for minimum or maximum memory.
200$ for a 48 GB difference on the 64g is quite steep and even worse is the 100$ for 16 GB dff. on the 32g.
That is my main bug with aPple pricing.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
200$ for a 48 GB difference on the 64g is quite steep and even worse is the 100$ for 16 GB dff. on the 32g.
That is my main bug with aPple pricing.
one article i read speculated that apple expected the 64G to be a hot seller so offsetting the lower cost of the 16G models. might be some truth to that, we'll never know. apple surely has some costs to recoup in R&D, etc. as any new company does with a new product.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 AM   #18
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
...even worse is the 100$ for 16 GB dff. on the 32g.
But easily justified, I think, if you're not stumping up for the 3G version - and an extra $100 is a lot cheaper than buying the base model then finding you could really do with just a little extra space...

Looking a little further down the line, it would come as no surprise if the 16Gb model is dropped when the 128Gb model is introduced at the top end (you just know it's going to happen, right?) rather than the price being cut.

Of course, UK prices haven't been set yet, so I reserve the right to change my mind
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:46 PM   #19
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I'm going to use the iPad for wifi internet access only. So, I'll purchase the 16GB with no 3G.

I've been reading about possible price drops, so the more immediate question for me is whether to advance order or wait a month or so. I think the iPad is going to be much more successful than predicted, and a price drop of $50 or so isn't really much today, so I'll probably preorder.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has it been announced how much the 3G internet access will cost?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Has it been announced how much the 3G internet access will cost?
From AT&T it's $14.99 for 250MB a month, or $29.99 unlimited.

Haven't heard what other companies will offer, which are putting out cards for the iPad etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - that sounds like a reasonable deal if, as was suggested earlier, you can sign up for a month at a time.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #23
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks - that sounds like a reasonable deal if, as was suggested earlier, you can sign up for a month at a time.
You can. No contract is required.

Which is smart. Most people probably don't really need 3G on it like they do their smartphone as the iPad probably isn't something most people will always have with them. Most will probably use it at home, the office, the coffee shop or somewhere they take it specifically to surf on free WiFi etc.

But many will want a month here and there when they're traveling etc. and staying in hotels that don't have free internet and so on.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
You can. No contract is required.

Which is smart. Most people probably don't really need 3G on it like they do their smartphone as the iPad probably isn't something most people will always have with them. Most will probably use it at home, the office, the coffee shop or somewhere they take it specifically to surf on free WiFi etc.

But many will want a month here and there when they're traveling etc. and staying in hotels that don't have free internet and so on.
Precisely. I have a "pay as you go" 3G Vodafone USB "dongle" which I use for internet access on my laptop when I go away on a trip. I only buy credit when I use it, which is perhaps 3 or 4 times a year for a few days at a time. I'd envisage using the 3G on the iPad in exactly the same way.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #25
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Precisely. I have a "pay as you go" 3G Vodafone USB "dongle" which I use for internet access on my laptop when I go away on a trip. I only buy credit when I use it, which is perhaps 3 or 4 times a year for a few days at a time. I'd envisage using the 3G on the iPad in exactly the same way.
Stop tempting me to change my vote to a 32G/3G iPad, Harry!!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #26
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well there has been no pricing announced outside of the united states.

someone asked me about the 3g and i updated my response (see first posting) with the information that is known about the US right now. plans and rates. outside of the US, no one knows yet.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #27
dmaul1114
Wizard

Very true. That was just US pricing. I don't pay much attention to the international stuff since I'm in the US and pretty much never travel abroad. Just got my first passport a couple weeks ago since I have to go to Stockholm for a conference this summer.

So I leave it to others to clarify on international issues with these devices as I'm clueless and uninterested on those as they don't affect me.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #28
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Apple hasn't finalysed deals out of State yet. They won't be announced before july.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #29
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I will most likely go for the 64g non-3g version. More and more places within the US have free wireless. I don't travel overseas - hardly ever. Hardly ever in the US for that matter. I don't expect that anything available with 3g will not be available with wireless. (yes, waiting a bit).

Why 64g? You can't have too much memory or storage. You can have too little.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Why 64g? You can't have too much memory or storage. You can have too little.
If your main use of the device is video, 64GB isn't a lot. I'm constantly running out of space on my 64Gb Touch.

Tags
choose, decision, ipad, model