Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 AM   #16
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The problem is InDesign is built around the concept of a fixed-size page layout and hard-coded font sizes, but it has others sizes built into certain structures (e.g., tables).

If one were to layout a document on a page which approximated the size of a typical ebook reader, the results are much more readable. Not perfect, but at readable and workable.

Best thing is to encode the entire document in a sensible form of XML which can capture all nuances of the text such as TEI and then convert to dump into both ID and epub.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:38 AM   #17
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Does the InDesign generated ePub pass epubcheck? If so, it's a bug in Sigil. If not, it may still be a bug in Sigil. Raise an issue and attach the document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbaffled View Post
Sigil won't open an epub file generated by InDesign CS4; which should be an authoritative epub code generator.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #18
gazza
gazza began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I see pdurrant is using:
“It is good that authors should be remunerated; and the least exceptionable way of remunerating them is by a monopoly. Yet monopoly is an evil. For the sake of the good we must submit to the evil; but the evil ought not to last a day longer than is necessary for the purpose of securing the good.” — Thomas Babbington Macauley
This is a splendid quotation but we should, perhaps, set the scene.
Macauley was speaking in parliament AGAINST the extension of copyright, not in favor of it.
It wonders me what Macauley would think of the current beggar's muddle where we have Internet booksellers being told, yes, you can sell it in the United States, but not in Australia. No reason given but I presume it is because Australians are loud, beer drinking people with small regard for pettifogging laws. I am an Australian although, at the moment, I am in Thailand.

Gareth Powell
gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #19
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Contracts giving certain publishers regional rights is a distinct issue to copyright length.

Regional restrictions on ebooks have two parts

(i) existing contracts between the copyright holders and the publishers
(ii) the ruling that for electronic sales the sale location is the customer's location, not the retailer's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza View Post
what Macauley would think of the current beggar's muddle where we have Internet booksellers being told, yes, you can sell it in the United States, but not in Australia. No reason given but I presume it is because Australians are loud, beer drinking people with small regard for pettifogging laws. I am an Australian although, at the moment, I am in Thailand.

Gareth Powell
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher
cyberbaffled began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Mark,

I just found this out researching my .epub OEPBS folder.

Thanks.

Richard
cyberbaffled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Oops! Thanks Brian. Mark was from Mark Twain.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Zelda,

As I mentioned in a previous post I couldn't get sigil to open my .epub file, but a perfect solution turns out to be Adobe Lab's "PBFXML Inspector".

Thanks again. Richard
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #23
cyberbaffled
Author&Publisher

Brian,

Brian,

As I mentioned in a previous post I couldn't get sigil to open my .epub file, but a perfect solution turns out to be Adobe Lab's "PBFXML Inspector".

Thanks again. Richard