Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Books987
Books987 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Why are my page numbers cut off?

Hello. I searched the forums, Google and Calibre documentation and could not find anything about this. I am new to Calibre so any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

I am converting an EPUB to PDF. Everything comes out great, except the page numbers added by Calibre are cut off at the bottom of each page.

Aside from changing the font size in the "PDF Output" options, I didn't touch anything in Calibre.

Here is my conversion log. I can not provide the original EPUB file for copyright reasons. How can I go about troubleshooting this problem?
Books987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Books987

On line 181 of my conversion log it says:

Code:
Bottom margin is too small for footer, increasing it to 9.0pts
Could this be my problem? I'm not sure what this means or how to fix it.

edit:

This was the problem. I went to "Page Setup" in Calibre and changed the bottom margin to 24 pt. and it fixed the problem.

Last edited by Books987; 01-18-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #3
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
@Books987

Use Calibre 2.16 or later and put this as header template:
Code:
<div style="font-size:x-small;"><span class="even_page"> <p style="overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;max-width:40mm;text-overflow:ellipsis;float:left;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;">_AUTHOR_</p><p style="overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;max-width:40mm;text-overflow:ellipsis;float:right;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;">_TITLE_</p></div><div style="font-size:x-small;"><span class="odd_page"><p style="overflow:hidden;white-space:nowrap;max-width:70mm;text-overflow:ellipsis;float:left;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;">_SECTION_</p><p style="float:right;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-bottom:0px;">_PAGENUM_</p></div><hr noshade width="100%" size=1>
You'll get section title and page number at odd pages, author and book title at even pages. Will save you some precious screen estate (header space is better utilized since 2.16).
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Books987

Thank you, good to know.

Another question:
If I want to use Calibre's "add page numbers to every page" option, is there a way to except certain pages? I don't want the first ten pages of the book to have any page numbers, for example. And there are a few pages later that don't need numbering. Any ideas?
Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

No way to do this in Calibre. However, you can use PDFill Editor to add customized footers
post factum.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure you can, you can insert arbitrary javascript expressions into the header/footer templates. There is an example of that in the manual http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...verting-to-pdf

You simply use an if expression ot have the javascript suppress the pagenumber on pages you dont want it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #7
Books987

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Sure you can, you can insert arbitrary javascript expressions into the header/footer templates. There is an example of that in the manual http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...verting-to-pdf

You simply use an if expression ot have the javascript suppress the pagenumber on pages you dont want it.
Ok, great! Does a footer expression still work to adjust the "add page numbers" Calibre conversion option? Or do I need to turn that off and just use the footer? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:21 AM   #8
EbokJunkie
Addict

Wow, I forgot about javascript...
Kovid, can we use javascript to set font size of page numbers in points?
Old 01-25-2015, 12:59 AM   #9
Books987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Books987 View Post
Ok, great! Does a footer expression still work to adjust the "add page numbers" Calibre conversion option? Or do I need to turn that off and just use the footer? Thanks!
Ok, I guess that option just adds something to the footer, so I unchecked the box and used a modified version of the example you linked. I'm not too familiar with javascript so it might take me awhile to figure out how to do this.

Anyone want to tell me how to omit the page numbers until the page number reaches 11?

edit: Ok, I see now you just told me to use an if statement. Pretty easy - I just need to figure out the syntax. Thanks Kovi.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
Books987

Oh yeah, first try, baby!

<script>if(_PAGENUM_>10){document.getElementById(" pagenum").innerHTML = "" + (_PAGENUM_);}</script>

edit: The above code inserts no page numbers until page 11. I also wanted to omit page numbers on two other pages later, so I did it like this:

<p id="pagenum" style="text-align:center;"></p><script>if(_PAGENUM_>10 && _PAGENUM_!=15 && _PAGENUM_!=81){document.getElementById("pagenum"). innerHTML = "" + (_PAGENUM_);}</script>

Last edited by Books987; 01-25-2015 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:48 AM   #11
EbokJunkie
Addict

No need for javascript for font size, just font-size style works. However, empty space in footer is still too large, at least one line gets cut from the text.