Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #16141
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Harriers, Book Two: Blood and War created by Gordon R Dickinson.
The first story was by David Drake and was excellent. The much longer central story was not very good, although it revealed lots of background in the end. The third story was OK.

Next up: Asimov's SF Magazine, June 2013.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #16142
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
I really hated this book. It was just too much. Too much detail about everything. Moving on to Cinder by Marissa Meyer.
I didn't like The Night Circus either. I couldn't finish it.

I'm reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It follows his predictable formula, but it's fun anyway. There's a thread here about Dan Brown books, or books like his books, and it made me realize I'd only read The Da Vinci Code. Like I said, this one is predictable after reading the other.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #16143
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Serpents Among the Ruins (Star Trek Lost Era II) on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serpents.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	103797  

Last edited by ucfgrad93; 04-02-2013 at 04:22 PM.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #16144
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool J.A. Pitts & Carey Rockwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
The Nancy Drew Mystery, The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew #16) was again, an enjoyable and nostalgic read!

Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) the latest by Dana Stabenow was both exciting and insightful but I was highly dissapointed at the very end as it left me wondering (wondering what, I can't say). I guess you could call the ending a cliffhanger, but I'd tend to use a lot stronger terms that that about it. Enough said!

I must take some time before deciding what to read next.
Onward! I just started reading J.A. Pitts second Sarah Beauhall novel, Honeyed Words. This one hadn't yet been published when I read the first book in the series, Black Blade Blues, and the reason I'm reading this one now is that I was recently reminded of this series when I saw that the third one, Forged in Fire had just been published not too long ago. Also I'm going to read Treachery in Outer Space by Carey Rockwell, the 6th book in the Tom Corbett Omnibus.

Hmmm....couldn't get interested in Honeyed Words so I put it on the back burner and am going to give The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan a try instead!

Last edited by alansplace; 04-02-2013 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added a comment
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 PM   #16145
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Why Bad Blood ends the way it does.

Quote:
The Nancy Drew Mystery, The Clue of the Tapping Heels (Nancy Drew #16) was again, an enjoyable and nostalgic read!

Bad Blood (Kate Shugak #20) the latest by Dana Stabenow was both exciting and insightful but I was highly disappointed at the very end as it left me wondering (wondering what, I can't say). I guess you could call the ending a cliffhanger, but I'd tend to use a lot stronger terms that that about it. Enough said!

I must take some time before deciding what to read next.
Well, after having read the below, I'm not as disappointed as I was when I finished the book and when I wrote the above. It's quoted from stabenow.com

Quote:
Why Bad Blood ends the way it does.
April 2, 2013 by Dana

I chatted with the Danamaniacs last Wednesday, and was reminded that Barbara Peters told me she didn’t want to be in the room when you all got to the end of Bad Blood. I told her not to worry, that I’d already been through the fire with Hunter’s Moon.

Now, as then, the, um, decibel level of your response is an enormous compliment to the series, and to me, whether you meant it that way or not. So thank you again.

This is what I told the ‘maniacs.
SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler:
1. Newton was right. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. What Kate did in “Nooses Give” comes back to haunt her with a vengeance. Some times the reaction happens instantly, like a chain reaction in a nuclear bomb. Sometimes it takes years. As in Bad Blood.

2. Mickey Spillane said, “The last line sells the next book.” The ending of Bad Blood, dear readers, is what we in the trade call a hook. That last scene in Bad Blood sells the next book to you, but more importantly to ME. There will be serious consequences, for Kate, for Mutt, for Jim, the aunties, and all the rest of the Park rats. I myself don’t know everything that happens next. I can’t wait to find out.

3. Kate has lost people, but she has never really looked into the abyss for herself. On a real, visceral level, she has never experienced that point every human being comes to, the realization that her time on this earth is not unlimited.

If you’re paying attention, a near-death experience will change your life. A lot you thought was important just falls away. You realize how much unfinished business you have to clean up, and how short your time is to get that done. You stop being afraid to say “I love you” to the people who matter.

Kate has always been good at paying attention, and there is plenty in her “Unfinished Business” column.

4. Hello? This is the Kate Shugak series? Whatever made you think anyone was safe in here?

and

5. I love to torture you.

The ‘maniacs will be posting a full transcript of the chat soon. Join them on Facebook and you can read it, too.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #16146
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
One of the better Phryne Fisher books, I really enjoyed it. But next, a bit of mindless fantasy from Mercedes Lackey, since I've had it sitting in my TBR for months
Well, it was just as mindless as I expected. But now, the latest in the Foreigner series from C.J. Cherryh, Protector. I'm looking forward to this.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 AM   #16147
fancybee
fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fancybee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At the moment I am reading the Ghost Runner from Bill Jones
fancybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #16148
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I'm really torn about this book. It was just plain silly in way, and I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the things that happened in it, but on the other hand I did enjoy it overall. I just like the whole symbols/scavenger hunt thing.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #16149
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm reading "Purple Cloud," by M.P. Shiel.

This is a very old book that reads VERY well. It has some wonderful descriptions of dead people and is a creepy read. (I do NOT recommend this book for anyone over 70 - the descriptions of dead people could lead to one's demise.]

I'm only on page 60 and looking forward to the rest of it.

Lovecraft thought highly of it and since he thinks like I do, Lovecraft is a very wise man for sharing my same high standards.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #16150
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
I finished Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. I'm really torn about this book. It was just plain silly in way, and I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the things that happened in it, but on the other hand I did enjoy it overall. I just like the whole symbols/scavenger hunt thing.
For me i think this was one of his better books, i liked the fast pace.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #16151
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I'm on book Ten of Simon R. Green's Nightside series. They cant compare to the Dresden files but they are still a good read.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM   #16152
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today I finished Phil Rickman's The Bones of Avalon, a very good read and I'm certainly going to get book two in the John Dee Papers series.

I've started River's End by Nora Roberts, it's my first book by her and it's not what I thought it would be. I always thought she (mostly) wrote romances but this isn't (yet). It's a very gripping tale about a girl who sees her father murder her mother and now she's older she wants to know more about it (that's how far I got). It's very hard to put down.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #16153
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am halfway through Peter Bowen's third Gabriel Du Pre book Wolf no Wolf. I love the characters he has created in this series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #16154
berrytwo
berrytwo began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have just finished 'Me Before you' by Jojo Moyes........such a good read.
berrytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #16155
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Lee Child

Quote:
Onward! I just started reading J.A. Pitts second Sarah Beauhall novel, Honeyed Words. This one hadn't yet been published when I read the first book in the series, Black Blade Blues, and the reason I'm reading this one now is that I was recently reminded of this series when I saw that the third one, Forged in Fire had just been published not too long ago. Also I'm going to read Treachery in Outer Space by Carey Rockwell, the 6th book in the Tom Corbett Omnibus.

Hmmm....couldn't get interested in Honeyed Words so I put it on the back burner and am going to give The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan a try instead!
Well it turns out that I couldn't get into The Drowning Girl either! So I decided to try out Jack Reacher. I began reading Killing Floor (Jack Reacher #1) by Lee Child. It grabbed me and I am enjoying it, finally!