Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM   #1
roxmysox
roxmysox began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Trying to like Moon+ Reader but...

I would love to make Moon+ my go to reader. I like it's small file size, book shelves display, and customization options.

However, I find that sometimes a line of text at the bottom of the screen appears to have the bottom half cut off. I can lightly press the center of the screen and scroll up to read the line, but I often find that when go to the next page, that line will be repeated at the top of the new page.

This irks me, takes me out of the story so to speak. Has anyone here experienced this? Is there a solution?
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
producerism
producerism began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have another Moon+ related question.. instead of making a new post figured I'd tack on to this one.

Are there any other readers for Android which allow you to highlight, annotate, and display a list of your notes/highlights as bookmarks like Moon+ does?
producerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxmysox View Post
I would love to make Moon+ my go to reader. I like it's small file size, book shelves display, and customization options.

However, I find that sometimes a line of text at the bottom of the screen appears to have the bottom half cut off. I can lightly press the center of the screen and scroll up to read the line, but I often find that when go to the next page, that line will be repeated at the top of the new page.

This irks me, takes me out of the story so to speak. Has anyone here experienced this? Is there a solution?
Let me add to that after buying Moon+ My pet peeve is that when I change page to the end of chapter, it places the very last paragraph at the bottom and fits everything else on top. So, if the last page is actually a half-page, instead of seing the remaining of the chapter and then blank lines to fill the screen, I see the bottom half of the page from the previous page and the remaining of the chapter at the bottom. Every time I get to chapter end, I have to read half of the previous page again. Or more depending on how much of the last page is remaining. That alone has forced me to Aldiko.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxmysox View Post
If I recall correctly there is a setting "keep one line on paging" in the miscellaneous tab this should replay the line so you don't have read the line when it is truncated. Just page and read the line then.

Also many of the problems seen here are because are trying to read while paging one page at a time. On moon the best reading experience is by scrolling down as you read. It took me a little bit to get use to, and but now I prefer it.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Make sure "Full line at bottom" is checked in Visual Options. Sometimes when you update the app you have to uncheck and recheck it.

After tweaking all the options, I haven't had any issues with Moon+. Most of the bugs are gone now with the additional options in the various settings. It continues to be the only app I use on my tablet if I don't need to sync with an eInk device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Make sure "Full line at bottom" is checked in Visual Options. Sometimes when you update the app you have to uncheck and recheck it.

After tweaking all the options, I haven't had any issues with Moon+. Most of the bugs are gone now with the additional options in the various settings. It continues to be the only app I use on my tablet if I don't need to sync with an eInk device.
Do you scroll to read or turn pages? I'm not sure that I like the scroll idea. Instead of one tap I (presume) will have to constantly slide my finger up and down. Any way out of that end of chapter issue without using scrolling?
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Do you scroll to read or turn pages? I'm not sure that I like the scroll idea. Instead of one tap I (presume) will have to constantly slide my finger up and down. Any way out of that end of chapter issue without using scrolling?
I don't scroll. I disabled it because if affected page tap turning.

I don't have the end chapter problem. I do recall having that issue at one time though. Like I said, with the updates and tweaking of settings, I'm good to go now. I also have Full Screen mode on as well.

I'm assuming you're on the latest version of the app.

Edit: I will mention that if my font size is not set at a particular range, there are funky issues with the text sometimes. Now that I think about it, that seems to be more related to my LCD Density setting. If that number is too small, I have problems.

Last edited by SCION; 07-18-2011 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:14 AM   #8
Apoc
Connoisseur

Thank you, I'll give it another try.

Quote:
I don't scroll. I disabled it because if affected page tap turning.

I don't have the end chapter problem. I do recall having that issue at one time though. Like I said, with the updates and tweaking of settings, I'm good to go now. I also have Full Screen mode on as well.

I'm assuming you're on the latest version of the app.

Edit: I will mention that if my font size is not set at a particular range, there are funky issues with the text sometimes. Now that I think about it, that seems to be more related to my LCD Density setting. If that number is too small, I have problems.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Let me add to that after buying Moon+ My pet peeve is that when I change page to the end of chapter, it places the very last paragraph at the bottom and fits everything else on top. So, if the last page is actually a half-page, instead of seing the remaining of the chapter and then blank lines to fill the screen, I see the bottom half of the page from the previous page and the remaining of the chapter at the bottom. Every time I get to chapter end, I have to read half of the previous page again. Or more depending on how much of the last page is remaining. That alone has forced me to Aldiko.
This one bugs me too, I would really like an option to stop it doing that.
It also means that if you page forward to the end of the chapter and then page back, you don't get the same page on screen as you started with.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
roxmysox
roxmysox began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I've tried checked and unchecked both the "keep one line while paging" option and the "full line at bottom option", but my problem persists. I've noticed that when I nudge the text upward in order to view the line that has the bottom half cut off, then the top line of the page will then have it's top half cut off.

I don't know if this would have any bearing on the issue, but I tend to keep my font size in the 25-30 pt range, to make reading easier on my eyes. It appears that the page is just too big to fit on my screen.

Thanks for the suggestions...I will play with the settings some more and see what happens.
roxmysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 AM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just tried to give Moon+ another go last night, and spent considerable time dithering with the settings, but still went back to Aldiko. I was able to get rid of the cut-off line at the bottom with the "Full line at bottom" setting, and get the page laid out like a book rather than a web page (what's "intelligent" about making every paragraph a blurb?), but a couple of things that still bothered me were the fonts and the brightness stepping. All of the included fonts had a similarly harsh look to me. I don't know what Aldiko's "default" font actually is, but it's a lot easier to look at. As for the brightness, in Moon+ it kind of jumps from one level to another rather than scrolling smoothly as in Aldiko.

Moon+ also takes longer to load a book, and importing books doesn't seem to do anything--it will give me a pop-up list of all the books I just imported, but after I close the pop-up, they're not in my library.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I just tried to give Moon+ another go last night, and spent considerable time dithering with the settings, but still went back to Aldiko. I was able to get rid of the cut-off line at the bottom with the "Full line at bottom" setting, and get the page laid out like a book rather than a web page (what's "intelligent" about making every paragraph a blurb?), but a couple of things that still bothered me were the fonts and the brightness stepping. All of the included fonts had a similarly harsh look to me. I don't know what Aldiko's "default" font actually is, but it's a lot easier to look at. As for the brightness, in Moon+ it kind of jumps from one level to another rather than scrolling smoothly as in Aldiko.

Moon+ also takes longer to load a book, and importing books doesn't seem to do anything--it will give me a pop-up list of all the books I just imported, but after I close the pop-up, they're not in my library.
You can use your own fonts with Moon+. Throw them in a fonts folder on your SD card. I've imported a couple of hundred books with no issues. They're in the library with metadata recognition. Haven't encountered brightness quirks.

Feel free to ask for help if you wish to return to Moon+.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Apoc
Connoisseur

I will take you up on that! I dislike not using stuff that I bought so ultimately I would like to resolve those issues and return to it. I haven't installed since I went to CM7 so I'll be sure to be using the latest version and see how far I can go before I ask for help.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Wife and I are happily using Moon+ on 2 Nook colors (with CM7) here.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
You can use your own fonts with Moon+. Throw them in a fonts folder on your SD card.
Anybody have recommendations please on what fonts to use with Moon+?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote