Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Only answer please, if eBook library 3.0 (at least partially or sometimes) is working
I'm using Sony 300 4 14.29%
I'm using Sony 500 2 7.14%
I'm using Sony 505 16 57.14%
I'm using Sony 600 7 25.00%
I'm using Sony 700 5 17.86%
I copy/sync the eBooks to internal memory 16 57.14%
I copy/sync the eBooks to SD card 6 21.43%
I copy/sync the eBooks to memory stick 3 10.71%
I copy/sync the eBooks to internal memory and card(s) 5 17.86%
I drag and drop within eBook library 3.0 20 71.43%
I sync within eBook library 3.0 9 32.14%
eBook library 3.0 has been working from the beginning 11 39.29%
eBook library 3.0 only has been working after tuning (please post below what you've done) 6 21.43%
I've got calibre or other programs installed, which can sync to readers as well 18 64.29%
I've got a PDF driver installed 5 17.86%
I had to deinstall another application or driver before eBook library 3.0 has been working 0 0%
I had to delete some eBooks of my library before eBook library 3.0 has been working 1 3.57%
I'm using Windows XP on a PC 8 28.57%
I'm using Windows Vista on a PC 12 42.86%
I'm using an older version of Windows (95, Me, ...) on a PC 0 0%
I'm using Windows on a MAC via "Boot Camp" 0 0%
I'm using Windows on a MAC via Virtual Machine 0 0%
I'm using the MAC application 6 21.43%
I had to contact Sony or check to forum to make eBook library 3.0 work 2 7.14%
I've had problems with eBook library 2.x before 1 3.57%
eBook library 2.x has been working flawlessly 9 32.14%
eBook library 3.0 is working flawlessly 10 35.71%
eBook library 3.0 has its flaws, but it's usable 7 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Post eBook library 3.0 (again), common denominators

Based on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55945, drag & drop and syncing are working for 50,0%. For 11,9% it's sometimes working.
But for 40,5% it's not working at all. (Multiple choice, not exactly adding up to 100,0%.)

I'm one of the latter (at least for internal memory, which is the only option for Sony 300).
I've tried all the tips: Checking Java version, deinstalling and manually deleting the hidden files, checking for corrupt files, ....-
The only thing I haven't tried is installation on Mac or under Windows XP instead of Windows Vista or installing on a "new" system without any 3rd party applications.

I'd like to check, whether the ones of you being able to use eBook library 3.0 have something in common, be it OS, applications in the background, ...

So, please only answer if eBook library 3.0 (at least partially/sometimes) is working for you. Only 3.0, please.

Update:
For me , it's working now: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=1

Last edited by mgmueller; 09-13-2009 at 03:55 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some observations

- I can drag & drop to both memory cards.
- It crashes when trying the same with internal memory.
- So I could use Sony 505, 600 and 700. 300 doesn't have expansion slots, so no workaround here. And of course it's not acceptable, not being able to use internal memory.
- Calibre and copying via Windows explorer do work, even on internal memory.
- My PDF driver has been crashing a few times, never has happened before. No idea, whether this just was a coincidence.
- Syncing goes wrong all the times. Once failed, it always tried to re-sync. I manually have deleted the sync XMS file, to stop it from permanently retrying to sync.
- I've deinstalled eBook library 2.x and installed 3.0 BEFORE actually owning any of the new devices. First try was with Sony 505, not with a new unit. Maybe some "old" driver or anything like that has "killed" the system. Deinstalling again and deleting even the hidden files didn't help though.
- When having enough time, I'll try installing to a "blank" Virtual XP machine.
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it might be more appropriate to say what's running on systems where eBook Library 3.0 doesn't work. That said, I'll list what I have running later on. And 3.0 works for me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it might be more appropriate to say what's running on systems where eBook Library 3.0 doesn't work. That said, I'll list what I have running later on. And 3.0 works for me.
Did you try syncing as well? Even if you don't need it, it would be interesting for comparison. Syncing seems to fail for more members of the forum than drag and drop.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 AM   #5
gbermor
Enthusiast
gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.gbermor taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kindle/SO
I drag and drop. So far it crashes more often than not and I have a PRS-300. It's very frustrating.
gbermor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbermor View Post
I drag and drop. So far it crashes more often than not and I have a PRS-300. It's very frustrating.
For me it's different: To internal memory always fails, to both memory cards always works. No solution for Sony 300, which doesn't have any cards. And even for the other ones not really acceptable. Especially considering that calibre and copying via Windows Explorer are working flawlessly.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
It's been working for me just fine.

The only problem I've had is when I return library books early, it crashes when deleting them from the library. But it comes right up after closing.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #8
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
It took a bit to figure out how it works, but once you have it down there seems ti be no problems.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
No problem here. Running on Windows 7 flawlessly.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Did you try syncing as well? Even if you don't need it, it would be interesting for comparison. Syncing seems to fail for more members of the forum than drag and drop.
I don't sync. So I've not tryed that. I do drag/drop and I have been putting books in the library.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I just voted, using eBook library on a Mac. But I should note that my only use for the program is interacting with Sony's bookstore. And only for freebies, at that.* I use Calibre for everything else.

Xenophon
*I refuse to purchase eBooks with DRM. I'll tolerate it for free books, but only just. I'm still undecided on whether I'll purchase ebooks whose DRM I can strip. I have no problems (technical or ethical) with stripping the DRM for personal use only. I just don't want to send the economic message that the DRM is "OK with me."
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
I just voted, using eBook library on a Mac. But I should note that my only use for the program is interacting with Sony's bookstore. And only for freebies, at that.* I use Calibre for everything else.

Xenophon
*I refuse to purchase eBooks with DRM. I'll tolerate it for free books, but only just. I'm still undecided on whether I'll purchase ebooks whose DRM I can strip. I have no problems (technical or ethical) with stripping the DRM for personal use only. I just don't want to send the economic message that the DRM is "OK with me."
I'm doing similar right now. Drag and drop via Windows explorer and sending to unit via calibre.
But I've got about 300 BBeBs from Sony's bookstore and I'd like to copy them directly within eBook library.
Strange enough:
- I can add or manipulate collections, either on internal memory or any of the both memory cards.
- I've been able to synchronise once, but never have been able to repeat (don't like syncing anyway).
- I can copy or sync to the memory cards but not the internal memory.
Meaning: I've got a workaround for Sony 505, 600 and 700 but not for Sony 300.

I really don't get it: What's the difference between internal memory and memory cards?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
It took a bit to figure out how it works, but once you have it down there seems ti be no problems.
What did you do? "Figure out how it works": Does this mean, it took you some time getting used to the application? Or did you do some modifications?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't sync. So I've not tryed that. I do drag/drop and I have been putting books in the library.
I don't sync also and never had any problems with the Sony libraries. I'm using the new one now with no problems.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

On Mac everything is working perfectly

I can sync and drag & drop. Both to internal memory or any memory card.
So it doesn't seem to be the application itself, but some incompatibility within Windows.

Tags
ebook library 3.0, library, sony library